Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Always liked bicycles. tried to wrench on them when I was pretty young. Over the decades we have accumulated a good number. Will never ride one again with my bad knee. T Randy in his tool belt.jpeg bikes on fence 002.JPG bikes on fence 003.JPG bikes on fence 004.JPG oday was cold windy. just fed critters and wood stove. Then I decided what to do with the old bicycles. Ive already got a dozen attached to the fence along the 93 Hwy. Ive got some more over at our other place. Debbie approves of the bike fence.

2. Posted wrong picture. Randy working on bike.jpeg

3. 34Larry

34Larry

Fist off I spent to long here this morning............again. Then I cleaned out the kitchen refer and organized what remained after it was washed down and clean. ( as I have posted wife now has mild dementia and needs some direction now and then.)
    I have the right bank valve cover to put back on my hemi after removing it to see which lifter is draining down and loud at start up, (#2) it turns out. I run the Chrysler wire covers and I'm working on how the wires are run through these covers. If you haven't worked them in there it can be a little tricky installing the machine screws to hold them to the cover.

mad mikey likes this.
  4. 36 3 window is in it's new storage home.. it was nice had to just walk across the street
    to go for a spin.. now have to drive over to it's home.. RIP Josephine R.. my garage lady
    … she was really good to me..

bchctybob, mad mikey and Lil32 like this.
  5. pecker head

pecker head

2E08BF30-DFCC-4957-95F1-3E6DEF33314C.jpeg 426C13C0-2FC1-4F7D-97EA-25A56A538C54.jpeg 2901AB89-DD5B-4A56-AF96-029F0B81289F.jpeg 8EA14601-CF8C-49DE-8968-199F59E27C85.jpeg I chopped several inches out of this $3 swap meet oil bath breather.

6. Funny to me, I ordered a variety of stuff this month at different times from different places, I think all of it arrived today. Everything from dielectric grease to Tekton tools to Fatman dropped spindles along with unitbits and a drill vice.
    So most of today was unboxing and shuttling stuff to the shop, Just strange

7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Had to return to my real job..

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

Continued the tear down ops on my '37 Chevy pickup.

December 31st 2019 Put the wheels back on and lowered the Deerslayer. Dragged the Go-Jaks over and positioned them. Pushed and dragged the truck around until it was perpendicular to its previous position with the engine bay poking into the operating theater under the loft. Disengaged the Go-Jaks and stored them under BillyBob. Started clearing out Deerslayer's bed. Thirsty work and it wore me out. Beer of the day is Red River Brewing Company's Penalty Bock Lager.

[​IMG]

9. Very nice, well done. is that your yom plate?

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    As the end of the year rolls around, it was time to save all of the last several month’s new family folders and files to the external hard drives. One in particular was the extra 4tb solid state drive in our safe deposit box. These are all digital files and can be preserved for what ever is down the line. In the box, like all others, there are paper files that have not been scanned and made into digital files. That comes next year, sometime, for now, they are safe.
    upload_2019-12-31_4-12-59.png upload_2019-12-31_4-13-14.png upload_2019-12-31_4-13-33.png
    But, prior to that moment of scanning our family files, I made a composite film of my brother’s involvement in surfing and hot rod/drag racing. I have put it together in one film clip, those files for his two grown sons that have some clue as to what he did back in those teenage/ twenty something years.

I did not want anything to happen to those files and film clips. So, they were copied and put on the monthly external solid state hard drives. (as well as the 4tb drive in the safe deposit box.) This process seems simple, but as long as I was in that 4tb drive, I eliminated duplicates to speed the drive transfers and open more space for things to come. I have yet to fill that 4tb drive to capacity and it sits nicely in a small drawer.

Jnaki

So, you guys that have valuable family photos and films, it must be the millionth time someone has told you to back up your files in several emergency locations away from your normal hard drives. We are not talking about those zillion copied photos from the hot rod websites, but your valuable family stuff. Those are not replaceable and need preservation for the long run.

It seems like a busy thing to do. It does take time copying and pasting to the other external drives, but it is well worth it. While the files are being transferred, you can always read the HAMB files or write something interesting to post later on in the day or week. Currently, I tried to copy and paste my whole 16mm drag racing files that were not on the safe deposit box files, so it is being done right now, while I type this information. Not a waste of time. All new films, LP albums, family stories from myself and my wife, take up most of the transfers.

Hot rods and cruising in the teenage years may not be a big thing with the current crop of 30, 20 somethings or even teenagers. But, since they are family members, one day, they will open the digital solid state files and laugh at the ancient technology. This along with a warm feeling that their grandpa and grandma were involved in the 50s-60s hot rod scene.

Hopefully, they will still think enough of us, when they go through the files at their leisure. We thought enough of them, to preserve the family history for the future generations and saved those files. The best present ever. Our own measly photo files were transferred from snap shots and negatives to digital files. Our granddaughter's generation has built-in digital files from pre-birth to the current year, all neatly separated into days/months/years. Lucky for her and her generation that digital cameras were developed.

But, they still need saving from destruction of family history over the next generation's futures.

bchctybob, Old wolf and mad mikey like this.
  11. ground out my spindles to fit F100 brakes. IMG_1393.JPG

12. osage orange likes this.
  13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Bicycle a Buick?;) Neat Mechanic/Technician Apron:cool:

Old wolf likes this.
  14. My faternal Grandmother in October of 53 got me that apron and some tools for my second birthday. All my uncles where mechanics & carpenters. notice the claw hammer in the first picture. Today not many two year olds get a claw hammer. I think that was a older cousins bicycle. the chain had come off.

low budget likes this.
  15. During the war the government sent some German POW,s to work on my great grandfathers farm. He was full blood Swede his wife a full blood German. Those Pows seen his blond buxom 1/2 English and Swede X German granddaughters and never wanted to return to Germany .They became citizens and married them.

16. 0BFEEC7E-F5F9-4D43-83A7-7722433B507A.jpeg
    I’ve been looking hard for this one
    That’s the last piece of insulation

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Noticed the portholes in the sidecovers is why I jokingly asked if it was a Buick

18. I have no idea what brand of bicycle that is. I don't remember anything from that time.

19. Finished cleaning up the front of the frame on my son’s pu project with him and painted it black. Next step to bolt in the crossmember and start rebuilding the brakes, etc. We are having to pick up our pace as he will be 16 in about 5 months. He is using his Christmas money to buy a cam for the engine we are building. Fun times with him.

4DB20CB5-508E-478F-B1D8-CB2B97676639.jpeg 9C7BFEFB-45EB-4988-ADF3-CCFEBB4DA7E4.jpeg

20. mopacltd

mopacltd

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20191231_102830.jpg Wishing You and Yours a Very Happy New Year - don't forget to sing the song "Auld Lang Syne" in remembrance of those that we lost over the past year

40two, mad mikey and guthriesmith like this.
  22. pecker head

pecker head

B0A942DE-A63C-49B1-AFD2-2C364A483705.jpeg 296D39FC-045B-4C0F-A4BC-245C64B1FB93.jpeg D5C38704-E685-42EC-B0B4-590B0C10014D.jpeg Repainted this on my 9”, last time I painted it I was 15 , and used Testors model car paint. I’m 55 now. Still have to put ZZ TOP back on it. They had only been a band for 10 years when I painted it.

23. pecker head

pecker head

8E30F773-062B-4777-BEA0-C7D2E7AA7580.jpeg BC0E3A55-5E23-45D4-9A03-C83231D2A5C0.jpeg A0A14E87-3856-4B57-936A-13B5D6B205C1.jpeg Started trying to figure out new generator brackets.

24. impala4speed

impala4speed

Now that is just awesome, a true father-and-son project. I love it.

25. Love it..my son and I did something similar with a 64 GMC almost 20 years ago. It's a great bonding/learning experience my son remembers to this day, even though he isn't into hot rods anymore. Still have the truck. Just built his dash panel and eliminated the ashtray and radio. I'm certain when i finish it he'll want it back LOL 64 dash.jpg

26. guthriesmith likes this.
  27. I bolted the converter to the flex plate on the Henry J, one of the holes in the flex plate was undersized, weird and a pain in the ass to drill out to 7/16's.
    I also drilled my sliding tubes on the tilt front end structure for the hitch pins, was hoping it would make it easier to tilt with it locked in the rear position but it still catches on the hood pins. With the new higher nose I pull at a different angle to tilt it forward, now it seems I'm pulling more forward instead of up, when I stand on a milk crate it opens fine, but I can't carry a milk crate around with me..lol
    My plan is to address it once all the weight is on the front end, so I know what I'm working with, I've already slotted the hood pin hole back to the attaching screw but that's about the only option I see.

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

How about fabbing up a bracket down low on the drivers side to hide the generator more.
    (May be too long to fit without hitting motor mount?)
    I always think of doing the alternator like that every time I see one perched up high on a otherwise cool looking engine.
    Think I put my alternator low just above the fuel pump on one of the last 55s I built.
    (may have just flipped it upside down using the same long bolt and hole, cant remember for sure now.)then fabbed an adjustment bracket on the bottom.

I get wanting to use the period generator tho, Maybe you want it proudly up there like that?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  29. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More like what have I been doing for the last month... Moving into my new shop! First photo is of my old shop, last ones are of my new shop so far! I've got 3x more room to get things done! 20191025_181636_HDR.jpg 20191227_210756.jpg 20191227_210557.jpg 20191211_233956.jpg IMG_20191208_194631_577.jpg

30. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D The first thing I did was thank the Good Lord for making it through another year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.