Register now to get rid of these ads!

What could the reserve possibly be on this car??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kaydub, Apr 30, 2007.

1. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Wtf!!!

Well It Seems To Have History....

I Think Someone Has Been Watching To Much Barret Jackson!!

3. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I might be mistaken , but I think that car did sell at Barrett-Jackson a couple years ago for around $200,000 .

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That car was covered in maybe Hop Up, the new one, in the last few years--lots of history, but rebuilt way differently than its period form. It's kinda a neat streetrod built from an old hotrod, with a style that is more "traditional moderne" than old style.
    Kind of a muddle--lots of neat, expensive old stuff in a modern blend, lots of history nearly eliminated...

5. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

more than it's worth.

6. looks like your typical barret-jackson bullshit to me. any feel that "SCHILL" in the air.

7. 5window

5window

Let me see-someone bid 117K on a car based on pictures onE-bay?
    I can't see putting a car worth 117 on Ebay,let alone bidding on one. Maybe it's someone using Nigerian cashiers checks?

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Your not really buying a car though....your buying history......so what exactly is history worth?

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Looks to me you are buying a pile of history that has largely been replaced with an alternate fake history of high-zoot parts...that's the problem with this thing...it was a rod with history, now it's nearly a different car with really nice old stuff having no...history.

10. Degreaser

Degreaser

I would rather have that than a $150,000 Mercedes anyday.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It's painfully obvious by the posts thus far that people haven't a clue as to the historic significance of this car, let alone the effort put into it over the last 10 years. In typical HAMB fashion it's gotten the Barret-Jackson syndrome thrust upon it and it's all down hill from there. SAD

Frank

12. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Both excellent points to ponder...
    The body has history in spades, but how much has been taken from it by the rebuild into "the perfect hotrod?"
    Anyone have good photos of the car before?

13. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

We'll then teach, not, in your typical fashion, pout.

14. oldguy829

oldguy829

Fab32 - have to agree, and disagree. the question was, "what could the reserve possibly be" All thing considered, it may be north of 200k. But this is the Hamb, where the vast majority don't invest in Art, History, or trailer queens. Cars are to be driven and appreciated for their original purpose. In that context, we don't feel it is worth nearly what the bid already is.
    If someone is looking for market value on History, Art, Etc. don't ask on the Hamb.

15. hatch

hatch
    from house

The car is as cool as it gets....If I had the bucks, the reserve wouldn't be a problem.....just bid bid bidddddd till I own it.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The car has history in spades, tons of history assoaciated with the engines it helped develop and lots of history in the body mods made in the car itself.
    The history is now sitting beside the car, in the form of spare engine and spare dash, and the car itself now seems to be a nice assemblage of neat stuff that has nothing at all to do with its history!
    Seems like to get the history you would have to pay for both the history and the nicely done, expensive irrelevant stuff, and redo the thing to its historic form...the whole thing seems a conundrum: "Look! I have this neat car, with lots of history! I installed some nice new history, and put the old history into that box over in the corner!" What the hell??
    This thing has evolved from a car with history to a new nostalgia rod--and making it a historic object again is going to be a real expensive trip.
    It was an important car, it is a neat street rod, it could be an important car again. Right now, it is in some kind of strange limbo.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Had I not known the car's history, I would have really liked it (minus those old man tires). However, knowing the history of the car it kind of dissapoints me the owner went in the direction he did. I agree with Bruce... the soul of the car is now sitting beside it... wondering if it is going to go to heaven or hell...

18. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Dunno, but someone should go to hell for that red/tan/blue/burled wood interior...

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The good: The important bits and the human/paper history still exist.
    Bad: Whoever wants to put it back together will have to spend a huge amount of money on the unwanted updates.
    Good: The leftovers will be a good start on another neat car.

Next, let's have Boyd restore the AlaKart...

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

That one I could see...

Because it seems to me George is more or less the Boyd of his day....

21. hatch

hatch
    from house

Huge money to buy it....huge money to restore it.....not a problem for many people today....BJ proves it every year.

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I would think that big money will turn up...that car put back a few years would definitely be a ride to Pebble Beach, especially with all the documentation. Me, I'd be happy to carry away some of the leftover parts removed in the restoration...

23. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

If that 12 port is a boat anchor to them I'll sure take it off their hands.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before we get all sanctimonious about the history and shit, anyone know what it was driven with for the last part of it's life? Was it always a Wayne? Did they convert to an Ardun some time later after testing? Only it's framerails know for sure.

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm told that car sold at B-J in 2003 for $156,000. If that buyer is this seller, I'm guessing he doesn't intend to lose money on it.

26. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Guy asked what the reserve could possibly be ? That's what THIS thread is . I can see (as can probably anyone in to hot rods with eyes ) it's a bad mofo and I understand what it is and was .

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm pretty sure from the Ebay ad and from what I remember of the Hop-up article the Ardun is very recent and entirely postdates the original family. The 6 cylinder development is the car's history.
    Anybody here have the Hop-Up coverage I remember or imagine?? I'm at work in the Library and only have magazines like "Theologische Zeitscrift", which tend to have poor hotrod coverage.

28. 52merc

52merc
    BANNED

thats just plain crazy that kind of money I could buy several hot rods

29. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Why does everyone slam people who have money to buy expensive old cars?

Wish I was able to do it, more power to them.

30. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Because they are tired from slamming the people who re-create old cars out of fiberglass.

Of course they also slam people who pay more than they can for steel bodies and authentic old parts too to build a more authentic car rather than just buy it.

So to summarize, unless you show your inviduality by being just like them you're getting slammed.