Register now to get rid of these ads!

What clutch do I need?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Revhead, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Well it is getting close to that time to put my engine/trans into the car. I don't have a clutch for it yet. I have.....

'68 327 with a flywheel that's from a similar year 10.4"
    '61 3spd with 10-spline shaft
    60s Ansen Heavy-as-Hell bellhousing that uses the pivot ball type clutch fork.

any ideas? someone once told me clutch for '61 vette but they are kinda pricey. surely there's something else that'll work.

2. 12packo94s

12packo94s

as long as it's 1 1/8 10 spline you got lots of choices

68-79 small block nova would work for example
    centerforce # on dual friction df271675
    or there are lots of other lower price alternatives

3. 12packo94s

12packo94s

if course anything fron truck to camaro to vette would apply as well

4. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

If it was mine, I'd try and find an 11" flywheel to put in it instead of the smaller 10" version. The smaller one will hold up fine if you are easy on it, but the 11" version would be way better...especially if you ever upgrade to a 4spd.

When I switched over to a 4spd in my shoebox, I took the 10" flywheel in to the clutch place, and the guy promptly told me that with the way I drive, I'd be putting clutches in the car more often than I'd be driving it. (my reputation apparently preceded me [​IMG])

With that said...As far as the clutch / pressure plate goes, just ask for a coarse spline disk, and I personally like the beehive style pressure plate that takes the short throw-out bearing. (the fingers are raised in a cone shape where the throw-out bearing meets it.) I used the clutch fork from a '57 Chevrolet passenger car...they have a vertical hole in the end that you can use to attach your linkage.

If you have a clutch supply house close by that supplies the dirt track racers, I'd recommend going to them as opposed to Autozone, etc. The prices are usually very competitive and you're more likely to get the parts you need. I know my clutch place in Waco always steers me in the right direction.

If that's not an option, then I'd just ask for a clutch kit for a '68-72 Nova with a 3spd, as suggested by 12packo94s. Make sure that your fork, throw-out bearing, pressure plate ,and bellhousing will all work together though.