Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what caused this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, May 10, 2015.

1. brand new motor mount, average small block, in a '57 chevy pickup. passenger side. IMG_1098-2.JPG

2. desotot

desotot

Lead sole in passenger side shoe.

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Looks like salt air crept into the shipping container and ate the rubber on the way over here.

lothiandon1940 and RICH B like this.
  4. kinda what i was thinking. the installation or engine power/torque should not have caused the rubber to just shred........poor quality.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Just like we all know, you can't expect quality parts out of China :eek:

40fordtudor and JB_roadrage like this.
  6. i am sure speedy will make good on it but it is annoying.

7. Seems like a lot of twist! :eek:

What is the trans mount like?

Maybe that mount was made early Monday, or late Friday! ;)

8. I've never seen a blow out mount like that..the quality sure has gone down. HRP

lothiandon1940 and 40fordtudor like this.
  9. tranny mount is a stock automatic cushion mounted to a universal tube type crossmember.

10. Then I will stick with a hungover assembly line employee! ;)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. me either. i have some i saved from original cars that i can not throw out because they are too good. maybe i will use one of them.

nunattax likes this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It looks like it had a big air pocket in the middle of the rubber.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Looks to me like poor rubber compound. Did the biscuit have a metal band around the widest part? I think I saw a set recently that were "banded" that way and I can imagine that would offer some resistance to squashing. If it had a band, and the band broke, that may have contributed to the failure.

Also, I have seen some of these repro early Ford type mounts with a cup like base plate under the biscuit. I would suppose that too would help. But my overall opinion is they are poor quality rubber.

I am wondering if there are some industrial mounts, similar in style and size, that are better made than these aftermarket types? I do know there are some 'donut' insulators used on many Lycoming aircraft engines, but almost all aviation parts are quite pricey.

Ray

mrconcdid and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Google Lord mounts.

15. stimpy

stimpy

looks like the bolt slid too does this have a sleeve in the center to prevent side movement in the mounts ?? if not the side to side movement/action could have cut it in half .

16. i have a couple of the original cups that i could use, these came without any supports or bands.

ouch! expensive! but i bet they are good.

to not stress the bolts i had to cut between the universal mount holes. there is a washer on the bottom, that the bolt passes through, that i welded to stop any movement side to side. these bolts slipped through the holes/mounts easily with the engine sitting on them.

17. Probably the same rubber they use on tie rod ends these days. :rolleyes::mad:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The rubber was bad. Probably cracked during the installation. Cheap shit.

nunattax and tb33anda3rd like this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

A good friend used real Hocky Pucks in his Chevy in a Ford Hot Rod. Bob

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Your engine mount plate bolt holes are far larger than the engine mount stud. Any looseness in that nut and the motor will start shifting. Paint wear from the washer seems to show that your engine has slid about 3/16" toward the driver side. Any slop will introduce premature wear.
    Still, the mounts are pure junk. Return them for a refund not a replacement.

I've never favored that style mount as I don't believe they offer the same lateral or torque support as a stock sty;e SBC mount, which is engineered (for a reason) at approx. 45 degree angle to cradle and cushion lateral force. Stock style also locate the mount right at the mounting pads on the block.
    The biscuit or hockey puck sty;e mounted flat has any lateral load pushing against the mounting bolt and torquing the biscuit. This route of mounting an engine seems to have started with the old Hurst adapter mounts. Also, bolting the steel mount to the block and carrying it all the way outboard to the frame rail to rubber mount it makes for a longer mount arm rather than bolting stock style mounts right under the block on it's pads.

21. Any chance it could be over tightened ?? They are supposed to be a cushion.

nunattax likes this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Order a set from Chassis engineering.. mine have lasted 11 years .... the first set from speedway didn't last 2 years before they split...
    dave

23. 55Brodie

55Brodie

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

note to self...do not buy Chinese condums

25. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I've had issues w just about every piece of rubber ive used on our last project. Control arm bushings looked like that after one year. Shock bushings, fuel line, even the tires are cracked pre maturely. Im convinced it's just inferior quality cheap rubber. Ive started to replace everything I can w polyurethane in hopes it will last longer.

26. Especially if you are running a Chevy!:rolleyes:

27. aaggie

aaggie

It looks like there should have been a large flat washer between the top of the bisquit and the metal piece going to the engine. It would have spread the load.

28. Or you could just avoid gurls with herpes. ;)

I am going to guess that the mount pictures is just a bad mount. I am going to admit something that I probably shouldn't admit, I have been known to make biscuit mounts out of old tires they seem to work really well and are cheap if you have them. :oops::)

Model T1 and blowby like this.
  29. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Are you saying that the bolt holes wouldn't line up so you elongated one of them so they would?
    Is the welded washer on the bottom there to keep the bolt from moving around in a bolt hole that's too big?

Trying to understand. Can you put up a picture with the nut and washer removed from the bolt?

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  30. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

I know nothing of these mounts, but it looks to me that the small flat washer under the lock nut is smaller than the mount hole. How does this even hold it down?