Register now to get rid of these ads!

What carb for a sbc??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RenoRat, Apr 4, 2006.

1. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

My edlebrock is takin a dump and Im tired of the edlejunk!! any ideas what carb to use?? Im Close to summit(yeah I know but its convient!)

Thanks Rich

2. OH! so much more to know about what the SBC is to start with HP and torqe ranges, cam.....ect... Tell us more or we can say anything and can be right for one situation, but not even close to yours. Useless

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Stock motor? Quadrajet. Balls to the wall? Demon. Edelbrock/Carters work fine if tuned to your altitude and cam. 600cfm is enough for the street.

4. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

yeah, need more info.... mainly cubic inches and what you are using the car for... daily or racing?

5. Holley 600 vac secondary works good, and there simple?

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

600cfm for street basic motor... but if youre built up we need more info...

i never had trouble with edelbrocks on a basic motor with it tuned well, mayeb rebuild and tune first to see what happens, you wont be out much cash if it fails, and can sell on ebay as rebuilt carb...

7. squirrel

squirrel

Quadrajet...the hard part is finding a good used one for free.

If the intake has a square bore setup, and you don't mind getting a new carb, I've had decent luck with new Holley 600s in the past, good old 1850 comes to mind.

8. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

its a bone stock crate sbc....

9. greatbg

greatbg

I have a 37 ford sedan with a mildly built 350. I just put a weiand stealth manifold and thoght I'd try holly's street advenger 630 carb. Been runing it for a few months now and am quite happy. It even worked right out of the box as advertised.

10. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I was thinkin of the holley 4160

11. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Rich, Ive got a Holley 600 sittin in the garage, just took it off the 55....but it needs rebuilt.

12. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

yeah, the 4160 carb is your best bet. The 0-1850 is a 600cfm with manual choke, the 0-80457 is the same carb with electric choke and a Ford kickdown lever. I think 600 is a little large unless you are pushing 300-350 hp or need to rev it high.

13. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

and there ya go, problem solved

14. burger

burger

Last weekend I was at one of those big indoor car shows and I found myself at a booth discussing carburetors with Avanti Performance. I was really impressed. For $230, they'll take your Holley 600cfm 4160 core and modify it to flow about 710 cfm. They replace the boosters, bore out the secondaries, and clean up some of the casting flash. All in all a pretty cool service they claim will produce better throttle response, more top end, and better economy. While they're at it, they clean it, re-dye the castings, and rebuild it. I'm going to try them once I get the rest of my truck sorted out.

Ed

15. greatbg

greatbg

They are all just holley to me. Mine is a 670 not 630 (my bad) and the only real diff is the advenger series carbs are for folks like me that can do about anything except tune a carb. They have fewer adjustments and are almost idiot proof. I did mess up the idle air mixture (did I say almost Idiot proof).

16. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

Haha I know exactly what your sayn!!

17. luckydevil

luckydevil

For a bone stock sbc I would stick with the Edelbrock. Sure a Holley would also work but your gonna spend $300 or more for one from Summit. I think you can get a rebuild kit for you edelbrock for around $25. The Holley is not gonna be any better than the Edelbrock on a stock street motor so why throw away the cash? Just my opnion.

18. 392_hemi

392_hemi

If you have a spread bore intake, I'd go with the Holley 6210. It's a direct replacement and works great on a stock to mildly modified motor. And with the smaller primaries, you get a little better milage. Ran one on my 350/300 motor for years and it worked great with no fuss.

19. raffman

raffman

Don't believe it,if edelbrocks work out of the box your good but all the tinkerin and tunin won't make them better if their not. I've seen a 10th drop off my 1/8 mi et just switching to a holley on my sbc. people are split on this debate but I'll vote holley everytime

20. luckydevil

luckydevil

I agree with you on that. If you are drag racing you should use a Holley, no doubt about it. But if you have a "bone stock" sbc, as he said he does, why spend the extra money? He already has the Edelbrock. Rebuilding it ain't rocket science and they work just fine for the street. My point was why waste the money. The Holley is the better carb in my opnion but he already has the Edelbrock and it will work just fine for a stock street motor. So I say spend that extra couple of hundred on something else. Again just my opnion.

21. I'm runnin' a 600 cfm holley on my 355. It makes plenty of zot although to race it needs a little more carb. But for a healthy streeter attitude the 600 is plenty.

Oh that would be no double pumps etc, just a plane old single line vac secondary carb.