Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Blower/SC is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JTW, Sep 12, 2010.

1. JTW

JTW

What is this, for sale here but dont know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

looks like a stock 6-71

3. malkintent

malkintent

4. JTW

JTW

I thought that to, it may be but What threw me off is the bottom doesen't look all big and open on the bottom. like these.

How would you run a bypass valve/blow off to avoid serge with something like this?

Attached Files:

5. JTW

JTW

Is $350.00 a good price for it?

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If I remember right a 6v-71 is a littlle shorter than a 6-71 but the rotors are the same dia..I would say that if you can use it as is then it's worth the $350..

7. the one picture looks like the bottom is offset..probably just the angle of the pic..tried contacting the seller and find out if it has been setup for gasoline yet...difference in rotor clearance...cool setup for a belt dive though..

on a side note, the blower bug is a nasty lil sucker when it does bite...been there...got the t-shirt

8. JTW

JTW

Thats funny. :) Thats the problem, is that the owner of it does not know anything about it. He just said it came off a "gulp" rat rod. Said it was running. but who knows. other than the carb, the pulley drive set up, which i'll have to make, do they make an adapter to/intake. of is that something else for me to make. o yea whats needed for a bypass or blow off to prevent surge?

9. JTW

JTW

is it a 6v/53

10. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

the 6v-71 has the bolts canted. It could be a 6-53. I didn't notice it was lacking the lower bolt flange.

11. Bypass valves are a newer late model oem deal.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think your right in it could be a 6v-53...I went and dug a pic up of the 6v-71 I have and the ribing and end covers are different..I wonder how much cubes a 6v-53 could support? Maybe be about right for a flathead...

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

the nomenclature for gmc blowers is Number of cylinders and cubic inches per cylinder. so a 6-71 was a 427 and a 6-53 was a 318. I've seen 6-53's on 292 sixes and 283 small blocks. You could use it on a larger motor if your not trying to push 7lbs of boost.

14. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

Its a 71 series with a pruned case, the mounting lip has been pruned off, good deal if it turns, have it checked

15. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

pop off is in the manifild

16. I think it is a 4-71

17. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

A 671 has 6 mounting bolts where the carb plate is. 471 has 4 mounting bolt holes. It looks like a pruned 471 like mine.

18. I agree, looks like a 471.

19. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

20. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

I think I agree with Fuzzy.

21. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Just out of curiosity why the hell would anyone cut the flange off?

22. showrod

showrod

the flange to support it when it was used in its original planned location on its side hanging on a GMC engine most likely in some large truck.
    I think its a 4-71 as well but maybe a gear reduction blower with 2 sets of gears stacked on the back end and thats why it still has its stock rear cover and looks funky. pictures are crappy to.
    does anyone currently cast a 4-71 intake theese days?

23. dbradley

dbradley

If they do I have a need for 2 of them.............. All I can find is one's for a 6 and an adapter plate.

24. JTW

JTW

Well, doesen't matter he sold it to a guy for AWWWWWWWWWW $100.00.

Thanks guys.

25. Small world. I bought that thing this month when it was relisted on craigslist with the same picture.

26. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

re: AWWWWW and "small world". This is a reminder that sometimes while you're involved in research and hemming and hawing over a purchase, it will get bought by someone with less trepidation. I bought a nice HAMB-friendly ride a couple of years ago. The seller took my offer because another guy he had 'on the hook' was asking dozens of questions over and over and requesting photos of nearly every square inch of the car. I looked at the posted pics....talked to the owner...made him a cash offer, and procured the car, while the other "buyer" was still vacillating over
    "should I or shouldn't I"

dj