Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are your local oldtimers up to?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RussTee, Apr 9, 2012.

1. RussTee

RussTee

High guys just for something different What are your local oldtimers up too? You know the guys the ones who just do it as a way of life. The ones with no time for computers who have all that neat old stuff lying around. the ones who dont even think trad they have been doing it so long it just is trad. What can you come up with?

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Well, we have basket weaving two days a week at the home, plus Doctor visits every Wednesday. That leaves very little time for me to try to get lucky with Mrs. Goldsmith, down the hall.:D The chocolate pudding is really good too, but it gives me gas. :eek:

What do you mean, what are we doing? We are building hot rods and driving them just like you younger guys. :D I remember when I thought 30 was old and 40 was Death's Doorstep, but after you get a few years under your belt you realize 60. 70. or even 80 year olds pretty much do the very things we did when we were in our 30's. Except now we have a little more expendible income and more knowledge.

If you have ever heard the story of the young bull and the old bull, you will understand what I mean. :cool::D

Don

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. The oldtimers here that "have no time for computers" also have no time for anything else ... and can usually be seen riding shotgun whilst the wifey is driving to the beauty shop.

4. RussTee

RussTee

It would be interesting to see half finished projects and garage scenes.

5. It is not that I have time for the computer, I am here when I am too creaky to work on anything.

I don't know if I count as an old timer. I was an early bloomer so I have been in and out of the shop as long as other guys that are in thier 70s.

6. fleetside66

fleetside66

Well, I'm 65 & I just P.M.'ed a 76 year old HAMBer (terrarodder) reminding him that there's a cruise across town next weekend. He said, "Yeah, I'll be there, but I'll be going to a show that day & another cruise the night before." I guess the shoulder he had replaced last year was a good one. Hell, 76 is the new 56!

7. A bunch of the 'Old Timers' we hang out with (ages ranging from mid 50s up to 82) spend their Golden Years building traditional rods & racing a Nostalgia T/F dragster. :eek: :D
    They get together every Wednesday nite, fix some food, drink a little beer and build some kick-ass cars. Now THAT'S LIVIN' !!

8. He died a hermit after alienating his only son in the world. All his cool shit was sold off by his brother who took the money and ran. "Car"ma is a bitch.

9. LAROKE

LAROKE

We hang out at a bagel shop on sunday mornings. At 62, I'm one of the youngest in this group.

[​IMG]

10. 97

You just about qualify yourself Russ!!!:D:D How about some shots of the roadster...and also the new T pickup with Rutherford motor!!! Your shed is probably one of the "ONES".

11. I went on a 125 mile road trip in the "A" last saturday and drivin' up to LSRU in Austin this friday morning for the week-end with my favorite "Betty" and co-owner son, Greg. I'm 69 and she's 67 and foxy!

12. Actually I have to fess up, I have been spending all my time trying to get with the 40 year old up the street. I got a thing for young broads. :rolleyes:

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

http://youtu.be/xH_m80hqU6E

The old farts that I know help out with the best indoor car show on the east coast all year long. Ain't no wimps around here.:D

14. gerrald meacham

gerrald meacham

63 went on a road trip this weekend 500 plus miles through smokies loved it , in 1934 ford truck

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I see you're no youngster yourself.. Probably having as much fun building today as you did when you were younger.. At least it should be........

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, that is the nice thing about getting older, women we wouldn't have given a second glance at when we were younger suddenly look pretty damn good. :) They also know exactly what they want and aren't afraid to ask for it. :eek:

Don

17. Ole don

Ole don

This old fart, (70 in ten days) spent the weekend under the old car making new connecters from the good exhaust to the ported iron manifolds on the Y block. Laying under the car, no problem. Welding up pipe, no problem. Getting up off the creeper, thats a problem. That part will be done today, then small parts go on the top of the freshened 312 and it may make noise by weeks end. Thats what the geezers around here are up to!

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I laughed out loud when I read this! Good one Don, and yes I remember the "old Bull/Young Bull" story.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I haven't been on the computer as much lately...just finished my new shop. (I won't turn 70 for another 6 months!) Finally...I can get something done.

Like Jesse said about his home shop: "Nobody else works here. Just me..."

Wife's still working full time, but she's one of those 'young ones'.

20. One of the guys I hang with (70 yrs old) is building a cab over with one of them new EFI tuned things. He was in car mags back in the early 70's. Another is 82 and he drives a 46' Chevy he bought in high school. This thing has a blower on it so big I call it the bathtub. I listen to everything they have to say, even when thier drunk, thier input is invaluable! BTW I'm 46.

21. I actually have to be carefull about how young I look at. My girl turns 40 in Sept. I think if you play with anyone younger than your kids it makes you a child molester. Think about it. ;)

22. cruzr

cruzr

I guess i fall into this category at the age of 69. What am i up to...........just driving my Hot Rod everday, enjoying what life has to offer. My building days are over........

23. Well..I'm almost up to 5'4'' and damn near 80..but Beano, i dont really care what they call me,My girl is younger than my youngest
    daughter..My kids think it "great" they dont have to look in on "Old Dad"They know I am well cared for...hehehehehehe

24. I really can't say. I still hit some of their shops and listen to their BS about the good old days. same stories about the real Hot Rodding in the 30's and 40's. they seem to go a little faster every time I hear them.

When I leave I get a warm feeling about those old goats. but soon get back to the reality that my stories about REAL HOT RODDING was the 50's and 60's are the true grail of rodding.

I've been called all those Grey beard, old fart (fuck) Geezer ect. but it's all relative. when I was 15, I thought 18 was old (and it was) now looking 70 in a few short days. I don't look at age as much as I do energy. some of those old geezers can still work circles around me (that doesn't take much) then I look at some lazy teenager's and wonder why they don't get something done. I look back when my whole world revolved around getting a drivers license, car (getting laid) and can see that the computer has replaced the auto and getting laid is on the social boards and street racing is now computer games and reality is a TV show.

Holy bat shit I guess I am an old fart. what was the question again???

25. I doubt that any of the "high guys" give a shit what us old timers are up to. :D

26. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I fell in the shop 3 weeks ago and am still laying there.

Oldtimer-fuck you.

(just kidding)

27. Beau

Beau

All the old timers with no time for computers are not on here.

28. RussTee

RussTee

Beau I guess thats why I ask for you guys to do a report.

29. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

haha, classic Beano!

30. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I know a few "old timers" that don't do the computer thang. Actually I'm due to stop in and see one. He is almost 90, and still goes to work everyday. I love stopping in and listening to what he has to say, he lived in Oakland from '48-'53 while there he worked for Amos Carson, and worked out of a bay at Tommy the Greeks when he lost the lease on his own shop, then flew back East and settled down in '53 and took a job at the local Desoto dealership. From then till now he runs his bodyshop in what use to be a bustlin part of town, now its just a lone shop across from the old rail road station in a desolate part of the city that people seldom go to.