Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are you going to build your daughter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PoPo, May 23, 2008.

1. I built (from 3 donor cars)my daughter's 1st car- a 1966 Volvo 122S. Four cyl, Borg Warner T35 auto trans. Slow as a snail, reliable as an anvil, and tough as a tank. Cheap insurance, too. Perfect for a new driver, and the Old Man never had to rescue her once! Years later she and my son-in-law even took it on their honeymoon. Sadly, a drunk totaled the car while it was parked in front of their house.

2. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

I like that, I just might have to use it...

3. hotrodlolita

hotrodlolita

neither of my parents were very car savy.... my mom loves fast muscles cars but thats about as far as it goes... i think the car bug is something that you find that touches something inside... and sets you on fire. you can't be forced into it thats for sure

4. Well I dont have a daughter but I do have a granddaughter. I bought her this when she was 5 months old and had a little bit of striping added. She's almost three now and scoots around on it pretty good. Even though it doesn't have air bags or ABS I think she's pretty safe hot roddin around. :D

Attached Files:

5. reversehalo

reversehalo
    from Waxhaw, NC

This is what she says she wants. She's 8.

[​IMG]

6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

My 16 year old is not mechanical but loves cars,. she went to the Jalopy showdown with me the last 2 years. She has the hots for a pickup and if I am able will build her a 40 Ford for college graduation.

7. 272sedan

272sedan

My oldest daughter is 17 we built her a 76 f250 factory hiboy on 35s when she was 16 and my youngest daughter is 14 and right now were building her a 70 f100 short wide bed lowered 8 inthe rear and 5 in the front, spending the next 3 days getting it ready for the 1st coat fill and sand

Attached Files:

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

9. 272sedan

272sedan

both of mine were father/daughter if they wanted it they had to help sand dissasemble and assemble which also gave them a better understanding of how the rigs worked and gave them the knowledge of thier rigs which is priceless to see guys faces when they ask them Qs and the can answer with authority

10. skyrodder

skyrodder

My lil girl wants my 54... now that i drive it daily, she will not get into my wifes car to go to school, so i have to drop her off instead... she's 5 years old.....

11. casper

casper

I have two girls 10 and 13 (I could not make a boy!) They have been racing quarter midgets for the last 4 1/2 years. And have won over 50 trophies each, some taller than they are! This year we decided to hang up the racing and start building cars, My oldest has a 30 coupe on a 32 frame with a 8BA flathead and 3 speed, 40 rear end and vintage drop axle, and my 10 year old has a 29 roadster on an original 32 frame, with a 53 Merc flathead and also traditional running gear. I have two mcCulloch superchargers for their flatheads. They know everything about their cars (un-split front wishbones, Kelsey Hayes wires with 7.50-16 rears and 450/475-16 fronts, 4" cranks and on and on). They have helped me set up their race cars on an aluminum set up table with digital scales for years and they are fully aware of cross weight, stagger, gear ratios, and tire compounds. I can ask them to get me a 9/16" box end or anything else and they know exactly what to grab. It has been a great education and some of the best quality family time ever. I highly recommend it to everybody. Every Sunday after church we spend some time in the high school parking lot taking turns letting them drive my P.T. cruiser with a standard transmission. They do not even know that some cars have an automatic! We are leaning towards drag racing in the high school series when they get old enough. The more time you invest, the more rewards you will enjoy. Girls rock!

Attached Files:

12. not what were building but look at the moniter. she like to look at hotrods and if were at a show she will point out some of the better ones

Attached Files:

13. Fixed up this 63 Comet for my daughter a couple of years ago.....

[​IMG]

Before.....

[​IMG]

Her first car.....
    [​IMG]

14. glmke

glmke

Thought i would have a boy first and second and third time. Well my girls are 10,8,5 and love to ride in my hotrod,only time will tell what kind of car they will want.have built a engine with them was lots of fun
    madeline 389.JPG

15. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

She will be 16 next year. Some how giving a 16yr old girl a wagon don't seem like a good idea.
    [​IMG]

16. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Oh, man, now your daughters are looking alot better.. Cool dads, and cool cars..

Don't worry, I'll be a good son in law some day. I hold doors open and take my hat off to talk to ladies..

Plus, there are some kick ass genes in me.. Just sayin'..

As for having something unsafe.. I bought a freakin' Corvair a week ago.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed

17. thanks guys.
    and to the dads with girls. god so help us.

"Ill be sitting here cleaning my gun all night!!! Dont be late"[/quote]

My second daughter was born on Wednesday and I'm thinking about starting a gun collection. (No bullets, just guns. Guns are scary bullet are dangerous)

My 3 year old daughter has asked me a few times for a "purple hot rod" so one day I may have to build something for her. I might use that as an excuse to drag something else home .:D

18. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

I've got girl sperm too bro. 3 gals. Maybe the 4th will be a boy. Douple thinking the back seat option maybe I will give her an F-1 Pick up. Limits the options.

19. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

Congratulations! Start collecting parts now.... You will be building that car before you now it.

My daughters boyfriend wont even look @ me. Its funny how you can say something and its just enuf to plant a seed in the back of his mind. That makes him think he should be scared.

20. a pick up bed is biger than a back seat;)

21. canadianzed

canadianzed

my 16 year old daughter has been given the volks jetta as a regular ride but is totally eyeballing my 73 z/28 as weekend warrior material- no problem as long as she fills the tank. Maybe this will provide me with the opportunity to find some vintage Iron to play with?

22. hodaphile

hodaphile
    Alliance Vendor

It took a year to build from scratch. When I saw the shape of the car she was driving in the meantime I knew that poor little car just couldn't last! So to save us all a lot of grief, she drove it one time, entered in the VW Classic (3rd in class) and sold it to a guy in Florida. The she bought the guy she had wanted to have in the first place (Wolfsbugh Jetta) and I went back to building motorcycles!

Attached Files:

23. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

We don't have any kids yet, but if we have a daughter I've got a 59 El Camino in mind that i'll buy from a guy I know and build that for her first hotrod.:D

24. Alfster

Alfster

My daughter has already laid claim to my F100 and said that it is hers. She still hasn't seen the '55 Plymouth we just brought but as it is a manual maybe we can keep that one for ourselves for a while.

Attached Files:

25. If you believe as I do, when it's your time it's your time. Period.
    Doesn't matter if your in the yard, on the road or at work.
    You can't protect them from everything.
    Some things have to be taught to them as well as learned by them.
    Saying they can't handle the car is a dumb statement.
    No one, I know, is going to cut their kid loose on an old car, that actually takes concentration to drive, without spending a lot of time in it with them.
    I can't say the same for a lot of the parent's with subcompacts or Volvos.
    No driver's ed in the schools anymore (including the bloody asphalt videos), parents blaze off the hour required without doing them and then they stick them in the biggest/safest car they can find and hope for the best.
    Voila, another idiot driver is created.
    I got out of a lot of bad situations, in high school, with my old cars/trucks because I was ready.
    I put in a lot of hours before the old man cut me loose.
    You wanna protect em, take away the damn cell phone and teach em how to acually drive.
    That will keep them out of more trouble than putting them in a car filled with airbags.
    Like to see the majority of the drivers on the road today TRY to drive an old car.
    It would be almost impossible to text message in my Comets.

26. Mine's 3 and a 1/2 and has already laid claim to this.
    Still needs a little work, but I'll wait for her to help me with that.
    I'll just keep it an occasional driver till she's ready.

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      107.9 KB
      Views:
  27. ya'll got it backwards - I am going to see what my Daughter builds me!!!
    Here she is studying the latest Rod N Custom

Attached Files:

28. repoguy

repoguy

Q: What are you going to build your daughter?

A: That depends on what the daughter wants to drive.

I've known a few guys who just had to put their daughters in a vintage car, but guess what?

Most (not all, but most) girls aren't into old cars, and the guy ended up giving up on the whole deal and selling it because the daughter wanted a Honda with A/C and a CD player, and bitched constantly about driving the other car.

I've dated quite a few women in my day, and most of them (at least the really hot ones anyway) had no interest what-so-ever in my old cars. In fact, some didn't even want to ride in them.

I've heard it all:

"Why is your car so loud? Is the muffler broken?"

"Ewww, what is that wierd musty smell? I don't want that smell on my clothes."

"What? You don't have A/C? You're kidding right?"

"Why can't you just drive a normal car?"

Anyway, I'd say that you should talk to your daughter and see what SHE wants. Your heart may break when she says "I just want a Honda Civic with a nice stereo", but it really isn't cool to force your kids to do something they're not into just because YOU think it's cool. Old cars aren't for everyone.

29. She sure takes after you!

30. I think it was more of a joke question than anything. Hope you don't take everything this serious. I think most fathers will know if their daughter actaully would like an old car or not. If not, at least your advice will be on here to save them. Thank you for that.