Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sounds good.I'm the only one who gets to do any "Impaling".....lol

2. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I took my bolt in harnesses apart, removed the bolt on bracket and installed it directly to the bar. Turned out nice and didn't have to worry about mounting angles. The excess was rolled up and a tie strap bundles it together nice.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      485.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    powrshftr and redlineracer42 like this.
  3. There ya go!!!

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

That looks really slick.I'll have a look at mine when I get out to the shop on Sunday.I have the "Y" type instead of the individual straps,so it may be a little different,but I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the tip on that!

Scott

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Scott just keep the routing configuration the same for the harness so it works correctly and basically the roll bar replaces the bracket in the assembly. Mine are individual because I have a bracket in the middle of those two that mounts the seat back to the roll bar. Bill

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks Bill!

Scott

7. I'd like to see it as well... Look foreword to meeting you and some of the others too.

8. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

You'll be "impaling", Saltflats will be "Impala-ing"! :) Scott, after losing your head-butting contest to that piece of steel, I think it's best if you keep the pointy things aimed away from you!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    30dodgeboy likes this.
  9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Probably a wise choice Marcus.....My melon is still aching from that one...lol!

I'm gonna get to work on trimming that tab off and wrapping the belt as soon as I get out to the shop tomorrow night.

Lots of little details to wrap up,and not much time.

Also,talked to Lance Line a few hours ago,and he's going to be finished with my block,and have it on a truck headed for michigan Tuesday afternoon.

Things are Lookin' up!:)

Scott

beebee78 and 55belairx2 like this.
  10. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Scott, where do you get your energy from? I get exhausted just reading your posts!!! Good luck on the final leg my friend :)

11. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Just remember to prioritize man! If it's something you can do at the track, leave it for last! I know everyone wants to have their car done and some shakedown passes made before getting to the Meltdown, but if you're running out of time, better to get the stuff done that you can only do at the shop, and finish the small stuff at the track. Even if you have to spend part of the first day finishing things up, at least you're there, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of willing helping hands! You and I both know that this event, maybe more than any other, is full of guys like that, more than willing and able to help out. Or as the Meltdown guys like to call' em, "the guys (and gals) that get it"! Keep crossin' items off the to-do list!

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Honestly,I am kind of a lazy son of a bitch,but that clock just keeps tickin',so I don't have much choice in the matter.If I slow down I am a dead duck.

Sort of like Jeff's gonna be when I dump the clutch and leave him and that Tubbo Fore Hunnert standing in the dust...;)

Scott

30dodgeboy and 9sectruck like this.
  13. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Scott-

Cute sticker, maybe you and my 4 year old can play with your sticker books in 3 weeks.

AJ said he will help you out the bottom end of the motor together at the track

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

You need to be worrying about your "bottom end".....When you see this thing go by you,you're gonna poop your pants.:D

Scott

9sectruck and 30dodgeboy like this.
  15. powrshftr

powrshftr

And that's not fair......You know damn well that intellectually I am no match for a 4 year old,especially one that's a 3rd generation Hot Rodder....

Maybe if I bribe your kid with a bunch of gummy bears and some free Star Wars merch,I can have someone who knows a better mechanic than me put this thing together....?;)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1435407459.703474.jpg

Scott

30dodgeboy likes this.
  16. I have discovered I am pretty good at taking them apart at the track, too! :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    powrshftr likes this.
  17. powrshftr

powrshftr

In spectacular fashion!

Scott

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

So I'm headed home from the shop,just got the properly sized rearend housing under the car and the spring perches tacked to it,got the front and rear carpet installed and cut to fit around the roll bars,got that goofy attachment point for the 5-point harness cut off and ground down,welded on the new and improved one and touched up the paint,painted the rear seat firewall,and got the crotch belt bolted in before I ran out of steam,sliced my finger open with a carpet knife,and threw in the towel before I left any more blood on the shop floor today.lol!

Finishing the trans crossmember and mount is up next,then mounting the battery in the trunk and fixing the wiring,then building the motor.

Easy peasy fellas!:D

Scott

19. I usually just make a bandage outta duct tape and a piece of shop rag and carry the fuck ON!!!! (geeeeze kids these days....)

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

I didn't quit cause I was hurt,I quit cause I was too tired to remember what to do next....lol!

I've been running on 2-3 hrs sleep most days,and it's starting to kick the shit out of me.

As soon as this shutdown is over,I'm gonna take a vacation,and work a leisurely 12 hrs a day on the car!:)

Scott

30dodgeboy and redlineracer42 like this.
  21. OK... wink wink..... sniff sniff...

22. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Scott, how much pinion angle did you set it at? I just had to add shims to mine to have it at 3 degrees down to compensate for the pinion rising up on acceleration. Each set up is a little differant , mine is leafs springs only with no bars so it's going to come up quite a bit...

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

I set mine 4* down,and it is a leaf spring setup also.I am running old fashioned Traction Master bars,and despite everyone's worst fears,they seemed to work quite well:)

What other tricks are you using to get it to hook?

Scott

24. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Nothing other than that for me right now, caltracs would probably help me out plus some good adjustable shocks on the rear and some 90/10's on the front.

25. Saxxon

Saxxon

Here's one for the WTF list...
    Last outing was bad with sever bog problems so I decided enough is enough and I took out the power valves and jetted the carbs square with bigger shooters. So I'm out in the garage and after making the changes I get in to fire it up. I hit the fuel pump and watch the site windows in the back carb for fuel level. As I'm watching I see something float past the site window (??) - and - I swear it had eyes... (???) I pull the float bowl and sure enough I find a large spider inside. I'm guessing it crawled in while I was messing with the metering block. So I'm holding the float bowl in one hand and reaching for a screwdriver to pry the corpse out when I feel the spider walk across my thumb. I then watch it walk up my arm make a right turn and wander off down my fender... After a brief moment to let what just happened sink in, I put the carb back together and carried on.

Of course today - my 2nd last day to test before Meltdown, gets rained out in a wall of water thunder and lighting epic apocalypse like manner...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  26. Those Canadian spiders must BAD MAMMYJAMMERS!!!!

27. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Scott

This is a Quiz, (from the postings of Professor Ric Piston Panneton):rolleyes:

What side are you going to mount the battery on?:confused:

answer page88

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lmao!

I'm going to mount it in the middle.....lol!

Scott

30dodgeboy likes this.
  29. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

You are braver than I am. I would have screamed like a little girl and crushed it with a shovel right on the fender if necessary..

redlineracer42 likes this.
  30. Spiders don't scare me....I can outrun most spiders!!! Now SNAKES....EEEEGADS!!! If it had bean a snake....I would have screamed like twin 6 year old girls and crushed it with a shovel right on the fender....

Bad Banana likes this.