Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are these spindles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racerdaddy1, Aug 9, 2012.

1. racerdaddy1

racerdaddy1

I am working on a Chevy II Nova project. When I bought it, it had a straight axle under the front of it. I think its a Chevy axle. I am going to replace with a new Speedway axle. I was hoping to re use the spindles and brakes. Can anyone tell me what they are off of? I placed a tape measure across what would be the axle and it was roughly 2 1/4" across there. I have another set off a Chevy and it measured about 2 3/4" where the axle would go. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

possibly early 50s chevy truck axle and spindles with early 50s chevy car drums? and the steering arms put on backwards and upside down

The pics are a bit fuzzy. wonder what size the brakes are? the ones I mentioned are 11x2" wide shoes

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think Jim has nailed it. I know the car spindles are 3 and 3/16 vertcally x 3 and 1/8 horizontally between the bolt holes on the spindle to backing plate bolts. I forget what the truck is, but it is different and I think further apart.

It was a common way to get a standard 5 lug pattern on a truck to install 49-54 drums on the pickup backing plates and brakes.

Don

4. racerdaddy1

racerdaddy1

This spindle and brake set up is on a straight axle that came in a Chevy II that I am working on. I want to use the axle, so how would I find a disc brake conversion for this?

5. squirrel

squirrel

if they are truck spindles they probably wont fit a speedway axle.

The steering looks funky, but its hard to tell with the pics you provided. More pictures, please?