Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Well, looks like I'm a Rambler man now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KandN Kustoms, Jan 1, 2020.

1. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Do you still have the instruction sheet that came with the carb kit? Find it and look at the exploded parts illustration. You may find a couple small parts listed as "check valves" or "check balls" for the accelerator pump. Do you remember replacing them or maybe a couple of small, light pressure coil springs? What kind of parts did you have left over after you finished the rebuild?

loudbang likes this.
  3. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Yes I do still have the instructions and all the leftover bits..
    Can't remember off hand about the check balls but I'll look when I get a chance!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

I'm Back!
    Actually never left, been busy playing a little game i like to call
    "Let's throw some money at it and see what sticks "
    Got tired of fussing with the carburetor, and just not getting anywhere with it.
    So I ordered a new one! It's a Dayton unit I ordered directly from them! (Really good people to deal with)
    And while I had the credit card out I bought a pertronix unit and new coil too!
    So yeah I went on a little spending spree......

20210314_154442.jpeg 20210314_121029.jpeg 20210314_154421.jpeg Screenshot_20210205-195302_Chrome.jpeg

chryslerfan55, 40two and loudbang like this.
  6. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

This is a great piece, nice thick flanges around the bolt holes and comes with some really thick gaskets too!
    So after a few slight modifications (had to grind down the accelerator cable bracket, and one of the head bolts)
    I got it bolted up and hooked up all the hoses and such i fired it up and it runs like a top!!!!
    Had to adjust it slightly, but it fires up right away and best of all NO DEAD SPOTS!
    I'm so HAPPY! Couldn't wipe the smile off my face all day!
    Took it for a drive and it runs really good, even got it out on the highway for a bit!

7. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

So I'm thinking we're going to try to take this thing up to Vintage Tourque fest on May 1st.
    But I need to modify the outside a little to suit my style (if you know what I mean? )
    So everyone knows the 2 things that make or break the look of a car is the tires and stance.....
    So I REALLY want to get some Astros or cragars but I was wondering what size would fit?
    I know the original rims are only 4in wide.
    So my question is....
    Would some 15x6 rims fit on this thing?
    Or should I just stick to the original rims? I'm just worried I won't be able to find some tires to fit the narrow rims.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. farna

farna

15x7 will fit. Needs to be 3.5" or 3.75" backset. 3.75" backset may need 1/8" or 1/4" spacers. You can run either with the stock studs (JUST long enough for 1/4" spacers!). I'd suggest a 16" wheel if you can get a 6-7" width. 16" tires are getting hard to come by, and 16" won't look out of place. A 205/70R15 is about the same size as the stock 15" tires (a little wider). A 205/65R16 should be about the same diameter. You might be able to run a 215 tire, but the 205 will fit better with no clearance issues. An 8" wheel MIGHT fit with 205/215 width tires, but you will need bolt-on spacers and may run into clearance issues, such as the front tire scrubbing the fender lip on hard turns. I'd stick with a 7" wide wheel...

chryslerfan55, Algoma56 and loudbang like this.
  9. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Once again farna comes in with the info!
    Hey thanks man, if you're ever in the neighborhood, I need to buy you a beer or something!
    It's looking like I won't be able to get any rims by show time, but I'm thinking I'll order them anyway!

10. farna

farna

If I'm ever around Iowa I'll look you up! I hope to make it to the Kenosha Homecoming show in 2022. Doesn't matter if you're not AMC powered, it's not run by a club. No judging. Only place you'll see over 1,000 AMC related vehicles -- anything built at the Kenosha plant, and any sold by Nash and AMC. This includes some late Chrysler Diplomats that were assembled under contract and the Renault Alliance and Eagle Premier, as well as Nash, Hudson, and Jeep vehicles. https://www.kenoshahistorycenter.org/events.html#

11. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Well I did it guys!
    Got new shoes for the old girl!
    Not quite the Astros I wanted but close enough for me!
    After consulting the resident Rambler expert on here "farna" I went with some 15x6 American racing wheels with a 3.5 backspace.
    And the tires are 205 x 75 x 15
    20210330_145250.jpeg

12. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Everything seems to fit pretty good but the rears are a little tight so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to lower it to much.
    We'll see when my blocks come in......
    Maybe I should have got a little shorter tire? Oh well I'll make it work.
    Before I mounted them o did have to couple loose ends to tie up.
    First I ran a manual choke cable to the new carb.
    So instead of making another bracket hanging down from the dash i thought ild just incorporate it into the one for the turn signals.
    So into the scrap pile I went for a piece of angle iron!
    If it's worth doing, it's worth doing with some overkill, right? Lol!
    Also, I cleaned up and painted the drums so it didn't look too bad when I mounted the new wheels !

13. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

14. loudbang

loudbang

Wheels look good. :)

15. farna

farna

I'd have probably used a 70 series tire, but they look good! The skinny whitewall was the best choice if you want whitewalls on that era car. I'm not so sure I like the whites with "mag" wheels, but that's a matter of tastes. Yours are different from mine, and that's just fine! The car looks good.

16. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

To much cow bell??

Well, had a couple of days off this week so I decided to make this thing look more like my style.
    I'm really into 60s style customs so I thought I'd give lacing the roof a shot!
    But, before I show you all just remember I wasn't going for a perfect job, just something to make it look cool.
    Started off by wet sanding the roof with 800 grit just to rough it up a bit.
    Got it all wiped down with some glass cleaner a couple of times then laid out my design.
    After that, I masked the whole car while the cleaner dried.
    Then laid down the lace, sprayed that with a couple of light coats then, pealed it off.
    And then I fogged in the border and the design in the middle. 20210402_170055.jpeg 20210403_101054.jpeg 20210403_101112.jpeg

17. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

I peeled off all the masking and let i dry overnight, then I went out this morning and VERY lightly sanded to get some of the rough spots off.
    Hit that with a few more wipe downs of cleaner and remasked the roof again.....
    After that, I sprayed some satin clear. Started with a few light coats, let that flash then put on a couple of medium coats.
    Had a few issues with some of the paint wanting to lift but I'm not going to fret over it.
    20210403_151738.jpeg 20210404_130620.jpeg 20210404_130632.jpeg

18. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

First picture is before clear coat and, the last two are after....
    I'm going to let it sit in the shop with the heaters on all day to cook. Then pull it out in the sun tomorrow.
    I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I figure if it starts to peel off, I'll just sand it down and make it look old.

19. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

That is pretty damn cool! Nice job.

loudbang likes this.
  20. farna

farna

It's starting to match the skinny whites on the wheels better now. Don't take that comment wrong, I'm serious! Matching the style more. Not my style, but I can appreciate and respect it. Great work!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. As the infamous Mr. Bill from Saturday Night Live said, "Oh Nooooo!!!"

22. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Yeah, I know it's not everyone's style but, it's the style I like!
    Just need to figure out if I can lower it a little.
    Then just drive the heck out of it!

23. farna

farna

I didn't go back through all the posts, but pretty sure we discussed lowering plates. Unfortunately, it looks like the wheels would need to be deeper in the back for you to lower this -- that or the fenders need pushing out some. You can just push them out a little with a jack, but not much without buckling something. If you push them out two inches they will come back in an inch... and that's probably as much as you can safely get. Not sure that would be much.

Try getting some spring clamps and clamping a coil part way down. You might not be able to drop it more than 1/2" to 1" that way, but it's something. That and a 1/2" spacer in the back will still give it a slightly better stance.

24. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

25. farna

farna

Ya know, it looks good as is -- doesn't really need lowering. If this is to be more driver than show, not lowering will probably make for a better ride. Lowering the front slightly with spring clamps (or stiffer springs) will stiffen the front springs a bit and make handling a little better though. These were spring rather soft, and a bit stiffer spring helps. You can get the half-leaf helper springs for the rear leafs to help handling.

26. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Yeah, the more I think about it, that's probably the route I'm going to go.
    I went ahead and ordered some new shocks the other day so that'll help a little too.

27. farna

farna

I put 3/4" shorter, 10% stiffer springs in my wagon. Work great, but I've used 12% stiffer in an earlier car (63 American) and liked them better. Just a couple percent stiffer makes a difference! The 10% springs are just noticeable as far as handling, hardly affect ride at all. 12% make a more noticeable handling improvement (don't really need a sway bar), and is just starting to be noticeable as far as ride. Factory HD springs are typically 18-20% stiffer than standard and ride like a horse and buggy/HD truck!!

28. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Well, boys and girls,
    We made it to Dubuque and the Vintage Tourque Fest!
    The old girl ran just fine, started up every time. Actually on the way up there (did i mention it's a 3hr drive! ) I was cruising around 70mph no problem, even passed a few semis too!
    I was thinking to myself that this little flat 6 ain't half bad! Lol!
    Then we got up there and realized that we had a good 50-60mph tailwind !!
    So coming home was a whole nother story.... but we made it!
    Not sure if ill attempt that long of a drive again cause I was sore as heck the next day, must be getting old!
    Anyway didn't take a picture of the car up there but here's some proof I guess 20210501_183713.jpeg

29. farna

farna

My first Rambler was a 61 American wagon with the flat-head. It would hold 55 up all but the biggest hills, but that's about all you could ask of it. Of course mine was well worn at the time. After a rebuild it really wasn't much better (if any!) though. So it was 65 down a hill, 50-55 up on the interstate for any long trip...

30. I love it man, it's my style too. Enjoy the hell out of it :D