Register now to get rid of these ads!

well it was bound to happen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassersteve, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Today i started finally tearing into my recently acquired purchase. Never again will i buy a vehicle at night. I started by removing all the chrome trim because the repaint is pealing mostly where the tape was at from taping off the trim rather than removing to paint underneath. No big surprises yet.
    I got down to the bottom of the driver side rear quarter panel. Reaching inside the door panel to unbolt the trim to remove it. I seen that there is some bad rust area there but was not ready for the rust sandwich i was about to devour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like ems will be my newest allie. Someone decided to cover up the rusted area rather than cut out and replace. The fender skirt area was moulded out of bondo which is why my skirts were so difficult to get on

2. A small magnet has better night eyes than humans.

3. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Whenever you buy something with rust bubbles on it, prepair for the worst.

There is no such thing as a "little rust"!

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

EMS is the way to go. I had to replace the same qtr panel. Mine I think was started from water pooling after running down the qtr window glass.

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

This is what the patch panel will look like. user39540_pic351992_1325007220.jpg ems panel

6. I was going to buy this car regardless what it needed. Just was wishing for a lot less than this. Not only do i get to replace the driver side but it looks like the same sandwich artist on the other side too. Good time to learn how to weld

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

What do the bottom of the doors look like??

8. Muddy on drivers side outside. Passenger has bubbles. The bottoms at the sills is solid though

9. lawman

lawman

Some time's bad thing's happen to good people !!! Good luck
    and please post the fix.

10. This is par for the course and that's why your a member here,,hundreds of us have dealt with this type of repair,,you can do it! HRP

11. titus

titus

They do make flashlights, frankly i dont really know how that could even be missed at night, sorry man, you should have looked at it a little better, now that you have it, fix her up and move on!

jeff

12. After watching Mobart and his buddy transform his '50 coupe, i think i have decided on attempting the 4" quarter panel stretch like they did. I was watching them in admiration. Now i have the perfect opportunity to try. Thanks everyone for the encouragement

It was missed because i was more worried about getting it on the trailer and back home. It was about 38° when we loaded it at 8:00 at night. The truck my friend and i went down in did not have a working heater core. I am a puss when it comes to cold weather. Lived in phoenix area most of my life. I am not cold blooded by any stretch of the imagination. Also took the sellers word for it being a decent car.

13. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I feel your pain, everyone finds suprises once in awhile, sometimes sculpters can hide some pretty bad stuff. As already said though it is to be expected in old cars unless you are lucky enough to live where stuff doesnt rot to the ground. I usually expect the quarters to be gone, a solid car for me is one that doesnt need inner and outer rockers replaced.

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

thats nice compared to up north and east , it will buff out : )

15. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I was hoping for a rust repair that was" BRAZED" on TWENTY YEARS AGO holding up to this day!

16. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Oh well! Just get your welder out and throw a pannel at it and include that pic on the thread about bad body jobs? Who has a link to that thread?
    Jay

17. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

that's why I live by......................never buy a car at night or in the rain.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You are tougher than me man, I don't go outside on a 38degree night! There is absolutely no need for anything under 60degrees...

19. We stopped at filibertos on the way back and i told him to go to jack in the box to eat the food since filibertos is outside only. He looked at me like i was crazy, "you can go to jack in the box with filibertos!" We ended up at j.i.t.b. and i ordered a couple drinks and 2 tacos. I told him,"this is tucson, things are different down here." So we proceeded to eat filibertos inside jack in the box to stay warm while the homeless man was rearranging his belongings in his shopping cart across the restaurant from us.

20. Ive got a sedan delevery the quarters where gone. I found a salvage car(2dr coupe) on EBay and bought it for $65. I drove to chandler Oka and cut off the Quarters and stripped the car and gave what was left to a scrapper. I sold the trunk lid to a hamber in kentucky for $100. So I probably recouped my money for purchase & gas. Someone was wanting the rear glass but I couldnt figure out a way to shipp it? Old Wolf