Register now to get rid of these ads!

Well , it finally happened to me.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Sep 9, 2009.

1. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Guy with the chevelle have a mullet? Your 55 looks Badass!

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Among your friends...fine....but you better get this right...it is NOT ok here. In fact, it's not really even tolerated. You can change all the terms you want to in your world, but your not gonna come here, and call our hot rods....you know. Mainly because you are using mistaken terminology.

3. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

That's funny right there :) I've been referring to killbillet as killmullet

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that makes no sense whatsoever. you take offense to a word that has a broad meanaing depending on who you are talking to. to me it means nothing. I'd think it was funny. I doubt it was meant as an insult.

5. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

yeah people call my shoebox a "rat rod" cause its in primer . some people just dont get it

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Yep that is a Rrrraa%$#.....rrrrRRROOooodd%$# all right. Why can't I say it? I looked back through my language and it isn't there.

7. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

8 or more yrs ago I used to like the term "rat rod" , and used it to piss off the street rodders at shows.
    Than it got taken to a new level of unfinished to pure sh*t.

8. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

AMEN!!!!

I dont understand all these people who get PISSED because someone called their car a ratrod.... How about instead of wasting that energy being mad, you vent it in the form of workign on your car.

Who cares what they call it

That is a nice 55- No matter what they call it.

9. bones35

bones35

Did you see this? Man makes me miss the old days of the hamb when you were scared as shit to say something like this cause you thought old timers would tare a new hole in your ASS! Those were the days. Not even a smile face after it. He's been on here a year

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!!

now I can't even find what I posted on 5 minutes ago.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

You might be right but where did they get that term? Why not 55 Chevy or Gasser? What happened to good old term HOT ROD?

11. Mac_55

Mac_55

I can see where some of you are coming from saying that its just a term or phrase etc.

To me the term rat rod stands for " cobbled junk " and the more i think of it , the more i KNOW he didnt mean it like that , and im glad i didnt get all pissy which i didnt .

But you gotta understand , not everyone sees it like you as rat rod bing an unfinished project . There is a local kid that desicrated a 40 chev pick up with log chain shifter , wal mart chrome skull tail lights etc , it is absolutley hiddeous and everyone says what a cool ratrod it is , well to me , i associate the term with cobbled junk , thats not me , and thats not my ride.

12. chevyshack

chevyshack

Rat rod, street rod, hot rod, street machine, gasser. There all the same. Alittle custom beyond stock and built to go fast. Could have been worse. Could of asked how your grocery getter was going.

13. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

That term" Rat Rod"is used by people who just dont get it.When it is used to describe my car I cant believe it.Then I consider the source.Most of the time they are newbees with no clue.My 32 is finished and has over 15000 miles with out a glitch.Just has hot rod black on it. So just because it isnt shiney some think Rat Rod! I like to think it is a Hot Rod!!

14. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

if i shoot you can i keep the rat rod.:)
    dont let it bother you they are just trying to be kool.

15. Mac_55

Mac_55

Robert , your car is a hotrod in every sence of the word pal/.

16. Mac, I love your 55. I have one shiney 55 and one about the same as yours is now or worse. Some people like them rough, some people like them shiney, you just cant win. Oh, by the way I drive a couple of Chevelle SS 396 cars. BUT I will never call a hot rod a Rat Rod. Keep up the good work. Your car is KILLER!:D

17. chevyshack

chevyshack

Thats exactly right. Its cobbled junk. Not a rat rod. On the other hand ive seen some pretty cool "cobbled junk". Its more of an art to weld up a couple forks to make a shifter.

18. I call mine "rust rods" . Cant argue with that.

19. RUSTALOT

RUSTALOT
    from GA.

I agree with Tony 100% That is one BAD 55!!!!!!!!!!

20. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Fuck em! Is that sweet baby running a tunnel ram under that tin?

21. Mac_55

Mac_55

Right back at ya louie . The yeller 55 is Perfect . Ill let em call my calico 55 a rat rod and be polite . But i think if i was standing next to yours and someone called it a ratrod ..... mine or not , i wouldnt be so polite . I can see em missing the mark on mine , but yours is like i said , Perfect , nothing even remotley ratty about that car.

22. uniquecoaches

uniquecoaches

Lets recount, Chevelle,loud mouth with probably a mullet, and a family tree that looks like a telephone pole ,straight up and it doesnt branch out any. That is a great 55 Chevy.

23. Short Bull

Short Bull

thats a cool 55!

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi bones35. May be that I was a little strong. My initial intention was just to inform chevyshack that it mostly isn't liked here...and even though I've only been here a year, I'm a fast learner, and it didn't take long to see that most here prefer hot rod over anything else, and will let it be known. I have my own feelings about it too, and really just don't want to here or see it. But I don't really want to be a weiner...sorry...........:D.......Rick

25. Are you old enough to remember Dump's 41 Willys coupe showing up once in a while in Mattoon?
    Your car pics exude cool. Can't help or explain to somebody that doesn't know.
    Macon drags alive? Charleston? 19th street north of Mattoon between the corn bushes? There were some Mattoon boys that had there shit in one sock back in 1984. Tring to remember names.

26. "BAD NEWS"

"BAD NEWS"
    from dallas tx

i hate that shit

27. Mac_55

Mac_55

I was only 4 in 84 . Dont know if its the same guy back back when i was younger there was a purple willys that ran quite a bit at charelston . nice old fella that would run that willys for everything it was worth everytime he left the line .

I dont know if by macon drags you mean Motion Speedway in assumption , Motion has been closed down for quite awhile , Charelston is going STRONG . Hope it stays around for a long time . Nice track

28. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Yup, what he said.

29. Da Injun

Da Injun

First off MAC 55 you do have one hell of a bad ass car.....but you know damn well in this day and age people use that term rather loosely and usually in the wrong context. But really who cares what he called your car, like others have said you know what it is and what time you have put into it. I believe others have mentioned it would have been a perfect time to "educate" him.

Maybe he also saw right through you and that "Just bein polite ya know" comment on how his car sounded, and wanted to get back at ya'.

Sort of on topic but then again kind of on topic....back in the early 80's wen I was around 10 or so I remember a friends older brother having a 68 Nova and getting pissed because someone walking down the street called it a Hot Rod....he prefered the term "Street Machine". But then again this guys older brother was kind of an ass.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  30. how in the fuck did this thread get to 6 pages? Seriously?

Has this topic, and every thread related to rat rod been discussed ad infinitum?

I think it's time for tech week.