Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Well, I'm done!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well when you get here throw a PM. What grade levels do you teach? My wife was a teacher, my daughter is a teacher, my sister-in-law was a teacher, three cousins, and an aunt in St. Albert was a teacher (they named a school after her; Bertha Kennedy) so maybe it's in the blood or we all think we know better!

Lawrence

2. tinmann

tinmann

As a fellow B.C. teacher, I felt I needed to say congratulations and I hope you have a LONG productive retirement. I retired from teaching three years ago. I stayed retired for about a month. I was offered a job teaching that I couldn't refuse...... and the chance to earn a salary plus pension. Our provincial leaders have done quite a number on the education field with their agenda to kill public education. Young teachers in short supply as a result. So much so, that us "oldies" can pick and choose our subjects and how hard we want to work, and they are very happy to have us. So if you need a little fun money, I'm sure you could "sub" a little and make it happen. Teaching Metal Shop up here in the frozen north amongst the dead pine, I have unrestricted access to my own machine shop. Hot Rod parts are being made at an alarming rate. All the best to you.

pitman likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hey there Lawrence. I'm a trades instructor, I teach my trade, Welding.
    We teach apprentices and I also teach welding inspection, metallurgy etc.
    Pretty much anything welding related.
    Including trade math.
    It's been fun for 20 years and is still fun.

I guess maybe that's part of the reason (besides not being pension ready) that I'm not ready to hang things up yet.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yep, subbing is on the horizon for sure. The wife retired in June and didn't want to sub for a year but gets requested by friends and has done quite a few. The pay on top of pension is very good. I figure if I need a set of white walls I can sub for two or three days and they're paid for.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. Congrats fellow teacher
    But I have to ask
    What is this "retirement" that you guys speak of?

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

"Retirement" refers to replacing one or more tires on a vehicle, motorized or not.

jim snow and anthony myrick like this.
  7. garage2small

garage2small

Congratulations and welcome to the club. I've been retired less than two weeks and have been so busy I am already wondering how I ever found time to work! But loving every minute of it.

If you can't add days to your life, add life to your days!

8. jazz1

jazz1

You get a chance to catch up on any tasks you have been putting off for decades:D
    Oldest entrant at our big air competition last year was 84...now he has 70 years experience. Next year I get senior discount for lift pass but will be on the mountain tomorrow

9. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Outstanding!! I have 10 to go and i cant wait

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m a little bit behind in the game due to a costly divorce when I was in my 40s.
    That’s a good part of the reason why I’m still teaching (although it’s great).

The one thing I have learned after having emergency brain surgery in 2013 to basically save my life is not to wish my life away.

Yes I am looking forward to retirement and God willing it will be a long happy one.

But it did show me that you just never know what is coming down the road.

I’m doing my best to enjoy life now with an awesome job and trying to stay healthy so that once retirement rolls around I can enjoy that too. :cool:

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

My brain is healthy but I lost my mind after a couple of years of teaching. It helped me to better relate to my students!

Blue One and Deucecoupe like this.
  12. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Retired from being a School Transportation Director in June. It's as good as everyone says it is but IMG_1707.JPG time has seemed to accelerate. I am subbing as a Mechanic in the Bus Garage three days a week for the month of January and you're right, subbing on top of the pension is great!

13. SpagScot

SpagScot
    from S. Alberta

"You are going to wonder how you ever had time to work." --- 56don is so correct!

Congrats and Enjoy.

14. Dirty Old Man nailed it. Get out among people as often as you can and stay away from the television. It will suck your creativity. I've been retired three years, started substitute teaching a year ago part time and enjoy the variety. I'll never have the discretionary funds to finish my project, but will enjoy taking stabs at it in spurts. It's not the destination, but the journey.