Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding Question - Brass elbow onto steel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slammy, Feb 3, 2006.

1. slammy

slammy

Welding question from a novice -- I need to weld on a brass elbow onto a steel filler tube for my gas tank (so that I can vent the filler tube to the outside of the trunk). Filler tube has been scrubbed clean and blown out, so as to get rid of gas fumes.

Question: Can I weld the brass elbow onto/into the filler tube? Can I use my MIG, or do I need to braze it on (w/ brass rod) using O/A tanks?

Thanks in advance for responding.

2. No Mig here!!!
    You can braze or use silver solder or "sil-fos"(spelling?, combo rod, we use this on several non-ferrus to steel applications) obviously with oxy/acet ....make sure your gas tank is nowhere around!!!!:eek:

3. I would use solder and a propane torch.

Tube on the bench away from the tank, of course.

4. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

this is good stuff, used in the AC/R industry.......go to your local hvac dealer and they'll have it.......

very similar to sweating two pcs of copper pipe together.......will pass inspection without proper cleaning of mating surfaces, actually i think that is why it was made......

use your acetelyne set...

5. Brass fittings and common brazing rod melt at about the same temperature which can make things a little tough.

Soldering like the guys say looks to be the way to go.

A couple of other options:
    JB Weld it together.
    No heat required.

Why use a brass fitting?
    You can find a steel fitting that would probably duplicate your brass fitting.
    Check the Weatherhead fittings stuff at a real parts house.
    Alternatively, look in a hardware store or an Orchard Supply.
    They have a wide variety of plain steel - as well as brass - fittings.

Keep in mind as well that you can alter fittings to do what you want in many cases.
    Instead of stacking fittings to go from 3/4" NPT to 1/8" NPT, find a 3/4" NPT plug with hex head, drill and tap for 1/8" NPT.

(You may have to check a different brand of plug since the head thickness on some is not as thick as it should be for the 1/8" NPT fitting.
    It usually is if you get a plumbing supply piece instead of an auto piece.)

6. I'd just drill a slightly smaller hole and push the hose in a little ways...

K.I.S.S..... :D

You could, also, weld on a steel (or stainless) nut or fitting, and use a brake line for your vent.

JOE:cool:

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

use steel tubing and braze it,
    if you can't find steel tubing and have to use the brass

use a solder,
    but not just any solder,
    use a high strength solder like silver solder

typical plumbing or electrical solder might not be strong enough.

8. Bugman

Bugman

Can you weld on a steel pipe fitting that the brass fitting will screw into?

9. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

Yah -- a bung. That would be the hot ticket, and a no-brainer when it comes to attaching it!