Register now to get rid of these ads!

History welding equipment from the past

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnsont963, May 29, 2012.

1. Lets see some of your vintage welders!

Heres my lincoln idealarc sp250. cost me 600$ 8 years ago.

Attached Files:

2. my buddy Bob gave me his dad's old stick welder,,,,criteria 1958-1960...been told it will weld tea cups to 2" plate....says

SEARS ROBUCK SIMPSON LTD

i'll see if i can find a pic.........

3. Cool!

4. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

This is ho-bie....a 1945 hobart 300A DC welder , powered by a 6cyl, chrysler ind. flathead, on a home made wagon made from Model a parts....specifically a banjo rear end and a kelsey hays wire wheel & spindle for a front piviot for the front axle...it tows great & welds even better...one of the nicest welding DC welders I have ever used...has some nice features like a remote amperage fine tune contol that unplugs from the welder face and is taken to the job, with get this....a regular old extension cord:D... now ho-bie is in my care ...and he needs it ....I am hoping to do a restoration that includes making new louverd side pannels, and a fresh paint job ...ala 1940's P-40 warhawk.....but until then he is quietly resting under cover in my barn...:rolleyes:Shawn

Attached Files:

cfmvw likes this.

5. Holy cow thats kick ass and is portable!!!

6. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

I forgot to add, it has a good old us made vice , and a place for O/A tanks, and a small work space next to the vice...Shawn

7. i've re-wired the ground, it had a splice installed to run a ground over to the monster vice that is in the garage at Bob's folks old place...and i have even shined the chrome handles....his dad had the hot sockets rewired years ago...said they didn't hold the lines good after 20 years....the rewire of them is still looking nice and new....damn fine job seeing it's lasted over 30 yearspic..............

bobs%20dads%20welder.jpg

8. Nice!!

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

10. Buzzman72

Buzzman72

[​IMG]

I have my granddad's old Marquette 230-amp AC stick welder. The one in the photo isn't mine, but mine is nearly identical. Dad had told me that they had it when they opened their garage in 1941...and he wasn't sure it wasn't purchased used even then.

11. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

have an Airco Busy Bee 180 amp AC only welder that my father bought used in 1958 or so from a local oval track racer and we built everything with it and it is still a great machine. I do love my Miller 215 but whenever I need to weld anything thick ( 5/16 & up) my preference is always this buzz box.

There has been extensive maintenance performed on it, I rewired the power cord 4 years ago...that is 100% of the service this welder needed after 52+ years in my family!!! <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

12. Thanks for all the replies!!!!! they just dont build stuff like they use too!

13. silversink

silversink

HPIM0619.jpg

HPIM0617.jpg

HPIM0618.jpg
    An old welder out by the barn---It says its a Linclon---Been sitting there for as long as I can remember

14. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Are those milk truck wheels?
    [​IMG]

15. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Love my Lincwelder 250.....
    [​IMG]

16. Kramer

Kramer

You really need to pull that out and clean it up. Even if it no longer works, it needs to be saved from further deterioration.

17. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

My ancient Forney, I was told that it is from from the 30's.

It has wood inside the guts, but it still works great, and boy howdy does it makes noise when welding.

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

I don't think so there are 2 steeleys an a couple of kealsy hays wires....

19. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

20. oj

oj

Heres' my Miller BP-330A tig, the cart is sits on is the water resevoir and it has a 220v water pump to circulate the water.
    I believe it is mid-'60's. The miller rep just comes by to touch it every now and then, he has a standing offer to buy it. It earns its' daily bread.

Attached Files:

Mark Hinds likes this.
  21. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Here's a Lenco mig welder I bought off Craigslist last year. weighs about 200# and welds great. Don't know that it's really old, but they don't make Lenco welders anymore.

Attached Files:

22. gtg91

gtg91

we have an old lincoln idealarc sp250, identical to the one johnsont963 posted to start the thread, we use it everyday and it works better than a brand new one in my opinion

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old Forney, Probably from the early 50's. I bought it for 80.00 from the heavy truck shop across the street from where I work about 20 years ago and have built a lot of stuff with it over the years. My 28 year old son learned to weld with it.
    [​IMG] It's only limitation is the amps you can get to it as it will handle most anything you want to stick weld.

I've also got an old Craftsman welder out in the shed that is similar but smaller that I bought for 5.00 at a swap meet a few years ago but have never hooked up yet.

24. Kramer

Kramer

Our sheet metal shop has one that looks a lot like yours, however it is a SRTA-3AP.

Here's my old Westinghouse stick welder. Heavy beast, but works like a champ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Miller Gold Star 330, not mine but has been for sale on our local C/L for a dogs age. I'm a life long Miller guy and love this old sparker, TR

Attached Files:

26. Ralph

Ralph

Anybody need to weld a bridge? This is my Regent 220/440 volt stick welder - made under license to "the Harnischfeger Corporation, Milwaukee, Wisconsin." Works great, and weighs a ton!

Attached Files:

27. Poltax

Poltax
    from UT

This welder was my Grandfathers. I wound up getting it. I think its late '50's or '60's

CR500 Apart 1 (2).JPG

28. great looking welders!!!

29. My daughter has one just like that, except it is a brighter red and has a 6 volt battery charger on the front. Even has the wood insulator on the lead. I use it in a pinch when I run out of gas on my machines.