Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding cast iron heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boltupal, Jan 17, 2018.

1. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

I found out that a rare cylinder head I have has a 3/8ths" crack in the combustion chamber. Plenty of metal in that spot. Who is a good shop to repair it?

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

http://midwestcylinderhead.com/about.php

None better. I've had them put back a head that had the valve pushed sideways thru the top of the combustion chamber. Had them repair several blocks. They are honest and will shoot you straight. They've even sent me home with instructions on fixing it myself since their furnaces would have warped it too bad. Great shop.

SPark

ottoman and loudbang like this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Bolt, there was a machinist here in town that used a series of small threaded plugs. He would drill a hole in the crack, tap it, screw the plug in with sealer. Then he would drill the next hole close enough to the previous plug to remove part of it, so they interlocked. Then continued this pattern till the end of the crack. Don’t know who made the kit, it’s been a while,he said he never had any trouble with this kind of repair. With this method there is no heat to warp the head. Welding on castings can be tricky and even the best can cause more cracked to happen. Might research on the net, see if they still have this kit. Bones

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s it, thanks, Jim, Bones

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    pat59 likes this.
  6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

I'm sure lock n' stitch is a good solution for some cracks. But inside a combustion chamber, with a lot of heat, thermal stress, cycling pressure... I wouldn't trust it there.

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I saw “Pete”the machinists I mentioned, do cracks in the combustion chamber many times with success. I thought the same thing, but he did it successfully for many years. He did one in the combustion chamber on a Diesel engine in one of our dozers 20 years ago, still no problem. Not telling anyone they should, mind you, just giving options that I know of. Everyone has to decide what’s best for them. Bones

G-son likes this.
  8. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

I have used Midwest cylinder head with great results... I have also repaired many cracks with the locknstich method... depend on the crack as to what method is best.

9. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

I had a crack in a valve seat "pinned" as described above and so far so good. After pinning it should also be pressure tested by the machinist to make sure it's repaired ok.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

Thanks guys .