Register now to get rid of these ads!

Weld On Batwings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3034, Nov 16, 2007.

1. 3034

Anyone ever used these? Is there a trick to welding to a forged ford I-beam axle? These came in a "kit" from eb*y. I'm kinda scared to use them even though I have a certified welder to do the job. I'd hate to break one loose going down the freeway...:eek:

Attached Files:

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The welding procedure should be the only issue and you've got that covered by having a "certified" welder do the welding. The axle is forged steel and the brackets are steel, a compatible combination.

Frank

3. butch27

butch27

Shouldn't be any problems. Be sure to put them on correctly I think the cut out notches dictate the Caster.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The cut-out notches dictate the fit to the axle. The caster is set by adjusting the ends of radius rods where they mount to the batwing brackets.

5. You'll still want to 'V-groove' the plates where they contact the axle. Carl Hagan

6. etperf10

etperf10
    from indiana

Do not forget to PRE HEAT the forging to about 250 - 300 degrees it will be a much stronger weld

7. 3034

Thanks for all of the help! I had heard about pre-heating forgings before welding but wasn't sure.

Caster is set by both the radius rod ends and the spring perch angle on the frame - 6 degrees...