Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage We RULED the Dallas Autorama!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Anderson

Anderson

Again, thanks a BUNCH to everyone who brought their cars out for the first of hopefully many "Hot Rod Arena" showings at the Autorama. I'd say it was a success. The weekend isn't over yet, we'll see who racks up all the awards tomorrow :D

Here's my pictures, some better than others. It kinda sucks taking pics indoors. Nevertheless...

We (THEM!) did a little 'garage scene' display, turned out pretty cool I think. The roadster belongs to Jason (Elrod), it's his A-V8 project. Roundup '10??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jason's newly lowered coupe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same ol' same ol' here...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucky 13's showed up in force, 6 cars, all but one a shoebox. Very cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. Anderson

Anderson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Torques had a great showing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool drag car, it's been around the block a few times and now restored.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then outside the "arena"....

[​IMG]

3. Anderson

Anderson

[​IMG]

Some funny lookin' outer space mobile thing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty well done '36 coupe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Anderson

Anderson

We just finished this one up at the shop where I work. It turned out extremely nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty cool fin treatment.
    [​IMG]

Awesome shirt.
    [​IMG]

Can anyone tell me where the hell you get manikins with breasts this big?? Just curious....hahaha
    [​IMG]

This was in today's paper too. Pretty neat :D
    [​IMG]

Thats all. It's a great show this year!

5. Awesome!!! Wow we have to get outta Corpus ASAP. Thanks for the pics keep em coming.. Thanks

will

6. JC_32

JC_32

Hell yeah....I recognize crash's and Wes' shoebox (Lucky 13's green with the gray hood and furple respectively)

and the black caddy rules!!!!

7. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I'm glad that there is finally a change at the Autorama, it needed it! I do have to ask though, how come no pics of Shanes seaweed flamed shoebox???

8. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

looks like a good time:D

9. Anderson

Anderson

The pics I took came out too fuzzy. I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow and see if I can't get some good shots of the stuff I don't have so far.

10. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Just take them to the plastic surgeon

11. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

the black caddy with the purple hood is awesome. any idea who owns it?

12. hotsilver

hotsilver
    from Florida

Cool show, thanks for the pics!!!!

13. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Great pictures everything turned out great .I am glad I locked my doors I saw children open up cars and crawl threw with parents just watching .I yelled at one boy as he was trying to open my door I think he pissed him self.

14. Rusty

Rusty

Good time to all that have helped this become what it is now

We came. we supported it, and next year it will be even better. Pretty cool to pull into a indoor car show and the red carpet is actually laid down for cars like we love.

I am hooked and will support this show fo show!!!!!

Rusty

15. Rusty

Rusty

I think i pissed myself when you yelled:)

Rusty

16. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Cool display, I'm diggin' Elrods coupe, new stance is killer.

thanks for the pics

17. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Good to see that there are some areas in Texas where people have good taste in cars. Our local shows are filled with nothing but street rods and muscle cars.

18. Elrod

Elrod

Great show! Autorama was actually exciting to be at for the first time in a long time!

I want to give a big thanks to Eric for getting the talks going with the Autorama folks to have a Hot Rod Arena, and an even BIGGER thanks for all the help he put in on my coupe in the two weeks prior to the show! Thanks again my THEM! brotha! Thanks also to MarkX, Revhead and Will for all your help in making this display happen!

19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

The lucky 13 shoeboxes are awesome ,that 51 is real tight.Anyone know who did the customizing on any of them?

20. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

My wife and I went to the show yesterday. High points: The "Hot Rod Arena", Having our picture made with and talking to Gene Winfield, The Scorpion dragsters and talking to Bobby Langley, and having my picture made with the "Pin-Up Girls". Best show we've been to in the last few years. Well worth the 150 mile drive. Thanks.:D

21. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

My wife was the most impressed by Doc's Tudor and the shoebox fords in the "Hot Rod Arena". I think she's hooked. She did think the $1,000,000 price on the white ford was a tad out of our price range.

22. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

Attached Files:

23. coleminer

coleminer
    from East Texas

I asked my wife the same question. She said, "Fredrick's, maybe ?".

24. What a great show and turnout for the Hot Rod Arena! You guys did a fantastic job...

Joel

25. Rusty

Rusty

Gettin ready to do it one more day

Cacklefest @ 3pm

Show Car Time

Rusty

26. belair

belair

WOW-great cars. But you blew the garage scene-the chain on the engine hoist has no patina. Too bad...:) Great display. That banger and the little "bobber tub"-(sorry if that offends you) are waaaay cool.

27. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Great job guys. The garage scene display is very cool. Thanks for the coverage. Gary

28. missysdad1

missysdad1

My buddy and I spent several hours at the Autorama on Saturday (a lot longer than in previous years) and were amazed at the changes. We have great respect for the time, effort and $$$ that goes into many of the "show cars" which have dominated this show in the past...but are, frankly, burned out on the high-buck cars on display that we just can't identify with.

We were pleasantly surprised by the Hot Rod Arena..."amazed" would be a better word, actually...and spent far more time there than in the rest of the show, although there were plenty of "traditional" hot rods and customs sprinkled around the rest of the show as well. The club displays were great!!!!!

Hopefully this will be a new trend in winter car shows, not just here in DFW but also around the country.

I don't know what the overall effect will be among the "paying public", many of whom don't "get" the traditional hot rod movement (as evidenced by the disrespect shown to some of the cars as mentioned in an earlier post on this thread). Heavily street-driven cars, especially those with primer, rust and gasoline odor abounding just don't seem to have the "WOW' factor that promotors depend on to get non-car people through the doors. Barris' big-buck, big-boosomed surfer thingie was surrounded three-deep all the time we were there, but maybe it was the manequins that were drawing the crowd...I hope so!

Hopefully the numbers will be as good or better than previous years in order to cement the new approach...but only time will tell.

For those of us who do "get it", however, the changes were most assuredly for the better. Perhaps next year the promoters will give the entire second hall over to traditional cars to give a clear contrast, sort of like Detroit. In any case, this year's show was a refreshing change for the better.

My personal thanks to those who were responsible, especially the clubs who put so much effort into the displays. Sa-a-a-Lute!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looks like you guys had a terrific time and had some great cars displayed. This has just gotten me fired up about Detroit Autorama. Nothing like a Michigan winter to make you anxious for some car adventure.

Frank

30. The Hot Rod arena was a needed addition. Thanks Eric for putting it all together man! Maybe the promoters will give us more room next year.

Haha.. my wife commented about the big boob mannequins... we gotta laugh outta that and the PT Cruiser with the American flags on it. No disrespect to America, just the car..