Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. The sexiest Maxwell ever.

[​IMG]

In 1906, Jonathan Maxwell built two cars to contest the Vanderbilt Cup race on Long Island. One was a straight eight, made from two T-head fours mounted end-to-end. It suffered engine destruction during practice. The other was your feature car, a flat twelve composed of six opposed twins. Incomplete at the time of the race, it was entered for the 1908 Dewar Trophy race at Ormond Beach, Florida, which was canceled. The car seems to have disappeared after that. All this and more is explained in "The Mystery of the Racing Maxwells" by Joseph S. Freeman, Automobile Quarterly Vol. 37 No. 3 March 1998).
    The quayside location must be the Maxwell plant on the Hudson River at Tarrytown, New York, north of Manhattan. Built by John Brisben Walker for his short-lived Mobile steamer, it was later acquired by General Motors.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

One more documented case of crazed
    '20s flappers on bootleg hooch!!!

[​IMG]

3. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Reminds me of the first series Star Trek episode where they went back to the 1930s and got mixed up with the gangsters. They couldn't drive these '30s cars either. It was pretty funny.

GREAT pictures HJ.

4. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

VINTAGE RARE 4 CYLINDER MODEL ENGINE

This was on ebay. I thought it was interesting. Sold for $1254.99

Here is an extremely rare vintage model gasoline engine that came from my late father's personal estate. I'm 67 years old, but as a child I remember his working on this engine in the basement of our home in Richmond, Virginia. This would be back in the 1940s. I believe this engine was purchased from a Chicago company that specialized in selling basic model engine castings, which were then machined and assembled by the owner. My father had a metal lathe in the basement, and he built quite a few different engines. The following information is what I can offer to the best of my knowledge. All following measurements are approximate. This is a 4 cylinder gasoline engine. It weighs approximately 10 pounds, including walnut display stand. It is a little over 9 inches long, and 7 and 1/2 inches tall to the top of the spark plugs. Top of head, including exhaust port, is approximately 3 and 1/4 inches x 6 inches. The flywheel is 3 and 1/4 inches in diameter, and made of steel. Engine is made of some type of cast metal. When the flywheel is turned, you can look into the double ports, and see the crankshaft turning the piston rods. The unattached electrical piece that is sitting on the base looks like it is part of the electrical distributing system. I'm not sure where it goes, but it has "points" on it, which are adjustable. Side of engine has the cast words "E Wall, Chicago, Ill., U.S.A." I know little about engines, but I believe my father occasionally ran this engine in the basement many years ago. As a child, (I'm 67 years old now), I remember it quite well, because it was very loud! He had several engines, but I think I remember this one as being the one that he ran. It's been a long time ago, I can't remember like I used to. This antique model engine has been stored away for 50 or 60 years. I don't know what parts are here, which are not, or what it may need. This is just the way I found it, so am selling it as is, just like you see it. I feel that a person who is a machinist or knowledgeable in mechanics could probably get this running. Although I have quite a sentimental attachment to this engine, I'm selling it because I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it, and give it a good home. Regardless of anything else, this is a true collector's item and a real beauty to look at! They're few and far between, so don't miss this one!

Attached Files:

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Just a brief follow-up on the Luverne of Minnesota. Jim said he knew of one, just sitting in a barn, so at least they are not EXTINCT -- though close. The company was well known in its time, building cars from 1903 through 1918, specifically targeted at the northeastern region of the U.S. Costing $2,500 or more, they were never pitched as cheap cars! Built largely of wood and always finished in brown, the Luverne became known popularly as "The Big, Brown Luverne."

Luverne also made trucks and owned several industry firsts, including the first tilt-box dump truck. After 1918, Luverne concentrated on trucks, especially fire, rescue and commercial vehicles -- an endeavor which not only made the company more money but a longer-lasting reputation than autos had accomplished. There's a ton of info on Luverne on the 'net, even though it appears almost no one kept examples of the REAL cars!!! So, I won't go into great detail here. Like Graham-Paige, Marmon, Peerless, REO, Studebaker and others, Luverne opted to change business gears away from auto-making, gradually merged with other fire-equipment makers and eventually joined in a business conglomerate, still active today.

[​IMG]
    1913 Luverne Model 50 "Montana Special." A $3,000 car,
    sporting a 50-horse Rutenber engine and riding on a 126-
    inch wheelbase. This promotional postcard illustration was
    posted on Hemmings Auto Blogs, to whom grateful appre-
    ciation is extended for this image.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Now THAT is pretty fascinating. Sort of pre-
    dates the small engines discussed recently
    on this thread, right? AND, this one's obvi-
    ously supposed emulate auto engines,
    don't you think?

[​IMG]

7. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Voisin

February 5th, 1880, Gabriel Voisin was born in Belleville, France. By the close of the century, Gabriel and his brother Charles had invented various items such as a car and a rifle. Gabriel Voisin began showing his true genius for design during the First World War by producing aeroplanes for the French. The designs would later translate onto the automobiles he would create, many resembling aerodynamic machines that appeared to be suitable for flight.

By the close of the First World War, Voisin began tinkering with automobile production. The need for airplanes was deteriorating so he converted his Issy-les-Moulineaux, Seine facilites. He had learned a great deal from aviation, such as aerodynamics and lightweight construction.

His vehicles featured sleeve-valve engines. The vehicle design was based on a Citroen. His first creation was the 8/23 CV powered by a 3969 cc power-plant. This automobile stayed in production for nearly ten years. In 1921 a 7238 cc, V12 powered Voisin was introduced. The same year a 1244 cc four-cylinder vehicle, dubbed the C4, was introduced. Various models were introduced throughout the years including the 1930's Diane, Simoun, and Sirocco.

The sleeve-valve engine did not have a camshaft and valve setup, rather used sliding plates to close and open the cylinder ports. The result was a quiet engine that was constantly plagued with oil-related problems. None the less, it was an ingenious design and one that would continue to power Voisin automobiles for many years. Other distinguishing yet remarkable mechanical improvements were the use of aluminum to reduce the weight of the vehicle while retaining its structural rigidity.

By 1927 a new six-cylinder engine was introduced powering the new model series. The 2.3 liter engine was small and produced nearly 70 horsepower. With a 70 mph top speed for most of the automobiles powered by this power-plant, the engine was not the most powerful option available. Gabriel had chosen the smaller engine because the larger 12 cylinder series were not selling as well.

In 1934, Voisin introduced a straight 12-cylinder automobile. The engine was constructed using two blocks of six. By using two blocks instead of one, the center of gravity was closer to the geometric center of the car.

1936 was the final year that Voisin would power his automobiles using sleeve-vale engines. Due to financial difficulties and the loss of control of his company, Voisin was forced to use the American Graham 3500cc engine.

The Voisin automobiles were high priced, exclusive automobiles that often introduced advanced technology and unique styling. Royalty, wealthy, and prominent individuals were mostly the clientele of the Voisin automobile. The high maintenance associated with the sleeve valve and the delicate construction has reclaimed many of the Voisin automobiles over the years, making them even more exclusive by today's standards.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  8. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

1919 Voisin C1

This 1919 Avions Voisin C1 Chauffeur Limousine wears chassis number 804 and is powered by engine number 826. Though many of the C1 cars received custom coachwork, this example was given a factory body. It was the first 'factory' Voisin and gives an interesting glimpse into the mind of Gabriel Voisin and his design preferences. It is an elegant and practical six-window vehicle with a spacious cabin and all of the luxury amenities available at the time.

The original purchaser of this car is beloved to have been a French Steel Magnate. It was later bequeathed to the nearby Le Mans museum, who kept the car until 1992 when it was de-accessioned and came into the present ownership.

It wears a semi-completed restoration - the wood of the bodywork has been professional attended to by a professional carpenter specializing in horse drawn carriages. The motor has been taken apart and inspected and is believed to be in good order. It has its original interior and an older repaint in original colors.

In 2008, this Chauffeur Limousine was offered for sale at the Quail Lodge, A Sale of Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia where it was sold for $87,750 inclusive of buyer's premium.

Attached Files:

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

GroundPounder from Ontario wondered on Post #2254 if anyone had ever pulled cars up from the ocean floor. Kind of a fascinating question, since we know that cars and trucks have been deep-sixed, by accident and for reasons, such as erosion control, creating artificial reefs, etc. He mentioned the Titanic, and I seem to recall that there was a R/R or two in transport there. And we all remember the Chrysler Norseman that went down in '55 when the Stockholm clobbered the Andria Doria off Nacktucket.

Of course, anything that sits for long in ocean salt is toast, so anything iron-based on the Titanic or the Andria Doria is pretty much history OR just something fragile that only makes a keen photo, eh?

On the other hand, cars really have been recovered, usually from fresh water, but the COST of recovery has to be balanced against the value of the car. One that really fascinated me was seeing underwater-TV-camera shots of a big '20s Studebaker shipment, sitting in the hold of a freighter that went down in a storm on Lake Superior. The cars looked GREAT, just a little "silty." I think the reason there may have been that the DEPTH of Lake Superior can eliminate light and oxygen. Without those two chemical factors, the steel would deteriorate (oxidize) very, very slowly, compared to other places a car might reside.

In another pretty recent episode, folks in Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia (ONE of those) muscled a WWII Russian diesel tank from a peat bog, got it RUNNIG (!) and were restoring it for an area museum. Again, with peat, OXYGEN is absent, helping preserve anything unfortunate (fortunate?) enough to go in there.

Here are some soggy shots of cars from another thread. They're kinda fun.

[​IMG]
    THERE, by God! Let's just see somebody cabbage THIS parking spot!

HAMBer RoadRunner posted this Bugatti being hoisted from a Swiss lake,
    if lakes count.
    [​IMG]

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Dog427435 posted this soggy Detroiter on the thread, "cars in the ocean."
    Glass & stainless still good, if ya got the SCUBA gear!
    [​IMG]

10. Another Corphian?

Combination Automobile & Boat

[​IMG]

11. Photo-1 ~ Dupont's Camp Car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo-2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo-3

[​IMG]

12. Robin Williams NY to Paris race. 1908

[​IMG]

13. In 1953, a Dan Dee delivery truck, made by the WHITE MOTOR CORP. in 1920, was restored in honor of the company's founders. The truck was used extensively for promotional trips before being donated to the WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY in 1994.

I've got my fingerprints all over this one (not greasy chip fingerprints either).

<TABLE border=0 width=424><TBODY><TR><TD height=336>
    [​IMG]
    1920 White Delivery Van (Dan-Dee Potato Chips)
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]

Cleveland's White Sewing Machine Company had been a thriving manufacturer of sewing machines, roller skates, phonographs, kerosene lamps, and machine tools, among other things, since 1866. Thomas White, however, was not interested in automobiles until his son Rollin, who had worked briefly for Baker Motors, began studying them at Cornell. In 1900, Rollin returned home to make four steam-engine prototypes and by 1906, the White Sewing Machine Co. manufactured 193 vehicles. The auto division separated that same year and moved to a new plant at E. 79th and St. Clair.

White eventually switched to gasoline engines around 1909 and then to the manufacture of heavy trucks. The company stayed in business until the mid-1970s. The delivery truck pictured above is typical of the company's customized trucks.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010

14. [​IMG]

1922 Kelland Motor Car Co
    Electric Delivery Van

15. And speaking of "Electrics".....

1938 Walker (Hybrid) gas-electric. Before....at NATMUS. 2007

There were two Truck Companies that manufactured delivery trucks in the late 1920&#8217;s to early1940&#8217;s Era that were know as Gas/Electric Trucks. These two Companies were the Thorne Motor Company of Cleveland, Ohio and the Walker Vehicle Company of Chicago, Illinois. (Vintage Truck Magazine published an article in the February 2008, Vol. #15 No 6 issue about the Thorne Motor Company and Gas/Electric Trucks). Thorne stopped manufacturing trucks in 1937 and Walker stopped the end of 1941.
    Both of these companies had an unusual way of powering their trucks. They used four or six cylinder engines as the power source. Coupled to the flywheel of that gas engine was a huge generator that produced electricity while the engine was running.

[​IMG]

Below, same truck, a little over a YEAR later!! Only one on the planet like this that we know of. Proud to say I had a hand in this one. Not the work, just getting into the right hands to get it done.

[​IMG]

More here...http://www.flickr.com/photos/48076624@N00/sets/72157603857464730/

Whole project documented here- http://www.jcristmuseum.org/phase1.SHTML

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  16. This is the only Pungs-Finch ever made.;) I saw a picture of a Finch Limited on here once but it didn't show the whole car.:( Anyone have a picture of it?

Attached Files:

17. WOW!! :cool:

Thanks for contributing Customcab!! Great story. Good to seesome new "faces" here.

18. Hey 29Bowtie. That is my mission if I choose to accept it. This tape will self-destruct in ten seconds. :D

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

CustomCab, THAT is WAAAAY cool. Not only is it a great resto,
    the drive system is fascinating -- very much the way rail engines
    work, in that the motor drives the electric motor which, in turn,
    actually drives the wheels, am I right?

[​IMG]

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey 29Bowtie. That is my mission if I choose to accept it. This tape will self-destruct in ten seconds. :D

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!!! AND DITTO on the NEW FACES!!!

21. I am not sure if this the model you are talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>Y.E.onDOMReady(show_notes_initially);</SCRIPT> [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Thorne Gas-Electric

1930 Thorne Gas-Electric B1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. alsancle

alsancle

+1

The 1930s had some really cool delivery vehicles.

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Robin Williams NY to Paris race. 1908

[​IMG]

Am I the only one who thought that was hilarious??? Oh, and New York to Paris. Hmmmmm??? Wouldn't they need a Corphibian, at least for the Atlantic crossing part of the race?

25. Yeah, that's how it works. Just like a modern locomotive. He is currently working thru some electric motor problems, but tells me it runs great. When he got it done he sent me a DVD of the build with a test drive at the end. Really a neat truck. Prior to finding this thing in the basement at NATMUS, I had never even heard of one of these things. :eek::eek:

It was so badly weathered, they basically used the original for patterns and reverse engineered the entire body out of new material. You can see from the pix there wasn't much to work with. Of the two that were there, that one was the "best".

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  26. Hey CustomCab- The Crawford Museum has a aircooled flat four for a White Motors White Horse available if your friend is interested. It is built by Aircooled in NY with White script on the valve covers. Let me know.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

HJ, you surely got it right. The Finch Limited was a one-year deal, made by the same Pungs-Finch company, run by Pungs and his son-in-law. Seems the two men split, and the Pungs-Finch cars were still made into 1910.

There are pretty extensive and illuminating write-ups on BOTH these early marques on American-Automobiles.com. The way I understood, the Finch Limited had a four-banger of nearly 600-CID with power to match. Henry Ford reportedly said that it was the coolest (yup, his word) car he'd seen up to that point.

Funny how a line of autos can be in production for the better part of a decade, and, often, we only have one -- OR NONE -- left in present day, isn't it?

And the Pungs-Finch and Finch Limited are apparently the latest example of this.