Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We ALL Love a DARE! PIX of TRULY Extinct Makes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Sep 12, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

DeuceGuy, thanks for mentioning that again. YES! It's a huge list -- 125 makes in the "As" alone!

Some OBVIOUSLY would have survivors, while OTHERS are so strange, there couldn't be many (if any) surviving.

This list is recommended reading for anybody who hasn't seen it AND who's followed this thread with any interest! THANKS again!

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Arca39, if it's a fact that only THREE CHASSES of Gaylords are known to be inexistence, then that surely fits MY idea of EXTINCT!

To me, an extant make would mean at least ONE survivor, somewhere in a museum, barn, etc. Wouldn't even have to be restored, just pretty COMPLETE.

3. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

got the bobbie kar info from the book, it has some more makes that they started and never finished or just a few were made, as well as some pics that look like they were for advertizeing the cars . glad the gaylord fits in here, and would that make for a clone or what.

4. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

the top pic in the bobbie post i think is of a bmc (british motor car) i couldn't edit that one out of the info... sorry tom

5. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

here one called the playboy

Attached Files:

6. Chief_Wannabe

Chief_Wannabe
    from Ozark, MO

From my old hometown of Sioux Falls, SD - Teddy Roosevelt in a Fawick Flyer at the Sioux Falls Railroad Depot. Only 5 built, yet one still survives and is on display at the Old Courthouse Museum in SooFoo. I'll try to dig up a recent pic. Believed to be one of if not the first 4-door car. Fawick was a great inventor and designed everything from farm machinery clutches to the first rubber golf grips.

In nearby Luverne, MN, Luvernes were built for about 14 years. How's this for an advertising slogan - "The Big Brown Luverne, Eventually You Will Want One".

Attached Files:

7. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

ok guys here is what i found in my book on the beechcraft,charles town about and the die-valkyrie(which looks like a kin to the gaylord.) tom

Attached Files:

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I know a Cutting is on Long Island, and there may be a Brownie Car as well.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

There was a 1910 Babcock here in town years ago, owner had it on a Glidden Tour in the late 1940's. Last i knew it was in a small collection in Stamford, Ct. :)

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hi, Tom (Arca). The Gaylord was only made in 1911 to 1912/13, So that has to be ONE RARE bird! Manufactured in Gaylord, MI, it came in a variety of body styles, had a 30-35-horse four-banger and was shaft driven.

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

RustyNewYorker wrote: "I would imagine you can find some iron oxide that used to be a Gearless if you know where to look with a metal detector. I have an old article showing where a road was being reconstructed along the Genesee River in Rochester (near the U of R) about 1925. They were running it through an area that had become a dumping ground for old cars, so they were using a steam shovel to mash cars flat and burying them in a sandpit nearby.

Of course the area looks still different from the mid-20's maps today, so it would probably take an archeologist to locate the mangled remains. And that assumes there's anything left to find - either due to rust, or dug up intentionally or accidentally in the meantime
    ."

JIMI: I like the drift of what you covered there, buddy, for several reasons. For ONE thing, MOST Americans didn't give a hoot about old cars, and it SURELY seems law enforcement didn't get after many people for just dumping them any place, so long as it was pretty much out of sight. I found unrecognizable remains of a '20s car out by an old strip mine while hunting once. And an older friend laughed when I said I liked Model As. She said when she was young, people would just push them into osme ravine or over some bank when they "wore out."
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

The late Ron Barnett had one, it may have been left to the AACA Museum in Hershey, Pa.

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Tom (Arca), yes, the material I read seems to indicate the Gaylord was a "derivative of smething previously made by another "entrepreneur." I guess it lasted about as long as the ones it borrowed off of! LOL

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

37Kid, thanks for the post. I think we've covered the Kellers. They were an attempt to make a GO of the Cal-based BobbiKar. Keller himself died, and the make expired before more than 50 or 100 could be produced (mostly by guys coming back from the war and needing jobs, down in Georgia.

They actually DO survive in fair numbers -- unlike the ill-fated BobbiKar.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, There is a restored light blue touring car. The same guy in Stamford with the Babcock owned the Dragon back in the 1980's.

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Chief Wannabe, you may be a new guy to the HAMB, but you bring up two RARE cars (Fawick & Luverne). Like Vermont, I'll bet not many cars got made in S.D., eh? (Vemont only had the WASP, hand-built, and I could only ifnd TWO still in museums -- Bennington, VT, and Tupelo, MS.)

17. 25-27 henny... Not mine

and my 25-6 willys overland
    now try finding stuff for either one!:d

Attached Files:

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

There were only TWO Ruger cars built. Saw them both in the NYC Auto Show when they were new, still have a sales brochure here somewere. They looked real nice a 1928 Bentley copy, used a Divco milk truck I bean front axle. Some DMV glitck prevented them from being mass produced. :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] They did take the body off this CDO and raced it on Daytona Beach. Someone made a replica about 10 years ago.

20. Has anyone mentioned the survivor Maverick sports car? Friend of mine, Fred Roth, owns this car and self-restored it at home. I believe it is the only survivor. It is a 1952.

Attached Files:

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes it is an early 4 cylinder LOCOMOBILE. :)

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yo, 37Kid, the Dragon was made in Illinois, 1906-1908, after its founding in Maine (!). Quality problems plague the make, despite a good-running four-cylinder engine by Herschell-Spillman. Good people jumped ship, and the company went under due to not being able to cover bills. At best, a few hundred of the ill-fated Dragons got built.

Seems like, given the poor overall quality, that VERY few Dragons survived. Why would anybody keep a breakdown-prone car?

23. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

jimi, the gaylord i found the pic of was designed by brooks stevens and was made in '55 guess there were older gaylords, will have to look them up.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just LOVE threads like this, and only the HAMB would produce so many replies in a short period of time. One car that no longer exists is the steamer built by Simon Ingersoll in Stamford, Ct. it ran up and down Main Street here in Ridgefield back in the 1880's during Fair Week. It ran laps around the horse track that later on turned into my back yard as a kid. Wealthy investors told Ingersoll to ditch the car and build something useful. He did, the steam powered rock drill. Chances are you have used an air tool made by Ingersoll-Rand...............now you know the rest of the story.

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Tom (Arca), yup, 1955 and brooks Stevens makes it a good few DECADES later than the originals! LOL

Yo, buddy, do you happen to have nicer PIX of Stevens' Gaylords? And, did I miss if you said how many are estimated to still survive? Also what kind of running gear, power plants, etc.? I COULD NOT READ THE PRINT IN YOUR GAYLORD POST, EVEN AFTER I BLEW IT UP. So, if you could tell us how the cars came about, and why they failed to catch on, it should been VERY interesting! THANKS, man!

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Arca wrote: "only the HAMB would produce so many replies in a short period of time."

Word up! I love the HAMB net, the generous guys with all their info. I have NEVER even checked out any other message boards, Tom. The HAMB is HOME! PERIOD.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

StillOutThere, no, that is one I NEVER even heard of. AND it's a damned beautiful roadster!!! WOW.

When was it made, who made it, what was under the hood, etc. It kind of reminds me of the Edwards America, maybe even prettier!

Fill us in a bit more, buddy.

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

PaperDog, YUP, that was back when Henney (later JUST a custom-bodymaker) ventured into making theor own cars. From what I've read, it seems even car historians have trouble with this. NICE to see a real Henney automobile (can't tell from the pic, but it LOOKS like much of it is still there?).

29. Anybody who is enjoying this post, would find this book I found at my local library, quite interesting. It's called "Great Cars of the Great Plains",by Curt McConnell, it's filled with many obscure car builders, from the American midwest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks, 29BowTie. I'll also add: I recently lucked into a copy of a full-color, large-format book by two guy names Kytola (authors, for look-up purposes). It was a photo & copy record of a trip they made halfway across the U.S. -- TO SHOOT OLD CARS.

Great book, called "Junkyard Jewels" (subtitled, "Diamonds in the Rust")