Register now to get rid of these ads!

Way O/T Scenesters need not apply....Any Blues men out there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 13, 2003.

1. thanks bftwcs- I always used an E tuning and played rock before and wondered if I was taking a wrong turn- I never play with a whammy bar just bend em with the fingers and am now wanting to improve by a little slide practice and was watching some players and noticed the notes seemed closer/easier to grab/and chord [in their different tuning] -but wasnt sure what key they were tuning to.I had tried an open A chord but knew it was not the DEAL-I play a hand built Telecaster-I put together with parts,with the custom shop pickups/swamp ash body and canadian Birdseye Maple kneck.

2. McGrath

McGrath

I might have told you wrong, "Drop D" is what I was thinking of. You drop the Low E string to D and the rest stay the same. I think that makes an open D Chord though, so maybe it is the same thing...

What kind of slide are you using? I had a glass Corecidan Bottle, but I never got very good at it.

3. I made one from an old stainless Case[kitchen knife]Handle-But lost it when was playing full time....Now after lots of years of not playing in bands any more I was thinking of a pill bottle myself-was it one of those carters little liver pills Bottles? [​IMG]

4. McGrath

McGrath

I bought mine at a Music Store in Mexico Missouri. Supposedly one of the Allman's used one, so some Company decided to reproduce them. they say different materials will give you different sounds. Theres a Company called Heart that makes them out of Glass, Brass, Ceramic, and Chrome.

I tried a Ceramic one, but I couldn't tell that it sounded any different than my glass one. Course, I'm hardly an expert anyway. I haven't touched my Guitar for over a year...

5. LIMEY

LIMEY

Worth getting a video by Billy Boy Arnold he gives good demo's on how to bend notes, it also give's good reference to Sonny Boy Williamson & Little Walter.
    If nothin else its just worth watching...again....& again....& again......