Register now to get rid of these ads!

Way kustom steering wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog Dish Deluxe, Jan 5, 2012.

1. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

How do you do the corners? Did he put something over that like a sleeve or is it just the paint.

2. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Wow, almost looks like a 90 degree PVC elbow. I'm sure it is all epoxy though

3. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Does anyone have a link to those rings, I can't seem to find em. I'm probably using the wrong words in my search

4. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I always wondered if you couldn't just grind a groove around the grip of the wheel where you want your paint dividers, cut off a length of silver solder, wrap it around, and fuse the joint together on the back side. Any reason that wouldn't work? Would stay shiny for sure.

I'm just about finished with a '59 Ranchero wheel with '57 Fairlane horn ring I'm redoing for my '52 Ford project, I'm about to put the first color of paint on it. Redoing a cracked up wheel is a ton of work if you want it to look nice, I've got a lot of hours in this damn thing already. No wonder guys spend so much to have them recast.

6. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I bet that would probably work. It's a TON of work to restore a wheel for sure. I'm taking a break from wet sanding a '58 Pontiac wheel with a '64 GTO horn ring for a guy right now. Takes FOREVER.

7. WQ59B

WQ59B

This is not to my tastes, but you were asking for different treatments... :

[​IMG]

The 'Dream Rod'.

8. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

One of those cars that I could never really develop an opinion about. It's cool to look at but I'm not sure if I really dig it much.

9. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Finally got around to making a wheel for my own car. Now I need to find time to get her tuned and cleaned for cruisin'.

Attached Files:

10. I've got two different wheels from Dog Dish Deluxe and they are badass. I'm going to restore them both for my cars but all the hard work is done on them. Highly recommended.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  11. desotot

desotot

very cool,, I need one of those ,, I'll try to explain it to my wife.

12. desotot

desotot

The corners are filler, the rod was tigged and then filled, now the finishing but I have to decide on an interior color first.

13. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Does the filler hold up well? I always used epoxy because I wasn't sure if the filler would stay on or not.

14. desotot

desotot

I didn't do this wheel myself but I've repaired wheels before with filler and it seems to work, perhaps I'm assuming this is filler, I haven't sanded it yet so I guess I'll see.

15. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Bummer....sell them as a wall hanger or a novelty item. don't let the idiots ruin some good car culture and 50's era kustom work. I think its great you are keeping the kustom wheel alive. Mabey engrave " not for use on an automobile" on the cup or something?

16. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I've been focusing on just re doing original wheels lately. I think the plan is going to be that I will mail someone a waiver form to sign and send back before I send them a wheel. I'll have to start shipping the wheels with a carriage bolt though the center and I'll put a tack weld on the end of the bolt and sell them for "display only".

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Can't imagine why you would want one of those:confused:
    [​IMG]
    Please excuse the dust, i've been getting ready for paint

18. Drakkar

Drakkar

Any insight to changing out the spline receiver in a wheel? I have personally never cut into a wheel before. I imagine that there is a metal "frame" inside of all the acrylic right???

19. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Yeah, they mostly have a steel frame. Some wheels have a brass center hub. Cutting the center hub out and welding another in is the easy part, but then you would need to rebuild the epoxy up and get all the correct contours back somehow, not so easy.

20. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Always liked custom wheels that were owner built. However, depending upon your state laws and safety inspections, those who have them with open ends may find their cars "impounded" and held till the wheel is replaced because of a major safety violation. The open ends can catch your shirt or jacket sleeves and are therefore deemed "unsafe". Enjoy and be safe.

21. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

I did this bat for my Bone Box it was real
    bitch to turn the points were really painful

Attached Files:

22. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Mine isn't considered kustom.. but it is after market
    [​IMG]

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

23. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Yep, the laws vary state by state. Missouri doesn't have any steering wheel related laws but most states do. Thats why any that I sell from now on have to be for display or novelty only and If you want to cut the bolt and mount them on a vehicle then the responsibility will be on you. Just another fine example of the U.S. government taking away our freedom of speech and expression. Some day it will be illegal for us to drive old cars at all so we had better all live it up now while we can.

24. Started messing around with some different options for the custom horn buttons for my "display only" novelty wheels. Lawyers please note: One will be going in my "display only" novelty Model A 29 roadster, while the other will be used in my "display only" Model T coupe. Obviously this is only mock ups. Both wheels will be finish restored and painted before the caps are figured out. Should have some nice opportunities tho....

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

25. PART TWO: (Sorry if there are repeats. I'm still on my first cup of coffee.)

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

26. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I really dig the yellow flake one with the sun thing in the center!

27. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Heres the one I was messing with yesterday. I love this wheel.

Attached Files:

28. Yeah, the yellow almost harkens to something you might have sen on a boat wheel. Or at least that's how it struck me. I also like the skull. My plan is to put the primered wheel on my 29, which is going to be painted a silvery turquoise. I've got an Auburn style instrument panel for it that I'm thinking about putting a glitter insert into, using the same veneer they use to skin drum sets. I've got a few options for gauges, including a set of Desoto gauges I scored from a late fifties Desoto in Seguin, Texas. Once the gauges and instrument cluster are figured out, I can get serious about color-matching the wheel, center cap and shift knob. It'll be a while, but it sure is fun thinking about it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some wheels to prep.

29. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Another idea that i've thought about is using something on the are behind the horn ring, like the pearl drum stuff, or maybe some little spikes. Might be kool. These Bel Air steering wheels leave tons of options for customizing.

Attached Files: