Register now to get rid of these ads!

Water in the Gas bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zigged should've Zagged, Jul 23, 2012.

1. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Jim;

The context I remember reading about, was maybe Pop Mech (?), (50's, maybe 40's ?), with a story-line from some whiz-bang mech named "Gus". Always lots of interesting shenanagins, that he got solved. Illustrated like a comic, so easier to remember. :D .

Anyways, it was about water in gas tank from an outboard motor, & Gus telling them how they could've easily fixed things, & gotten out of their predicament. Amazing what I remember sometimes, when prompted... :D .

Never heard of the felt hat trick. Might have to find an old one, & try it.

Marcus...

2. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

When I was a kid my dad had a big ole galvanized funnel with a very fine screen, we kept tractor gas in a barrel for a yr. or two at a time, he always filled through that funnel and the gas would flow right through, but the water droplets would be on the top of that screen. Looks like you have the modern version.

3. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

When I was in the navy, the av gas for helicopters was stored in tanks and when we pumped into the helo we just pumped sea water into the gas tanks to force out the gas from the top of the tank.

The fuel was first pumped into a gallon jar at the start of fueling and checked by the pilot for water, and then at the rend of fueling again.

Water and gas don't mix. (The alcohol and water mix may make the engine run a little cleaner)

It is worth separating, as it is very hard to get rid of "bad" gas

4. Zigged should've Zagged

Zigged should've Zagged
    from Emmaus Pa

Sounds to me like you were approaching the situation with a little fore thought