Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WATCH OUT!!!! SCAM ARTIST STEPHEN CARSON (might be Joseph Cates Also)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cowtown, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Cowtown

Cowtown

So this happened to me yesterday. I have been running some ads looking for a rear door and hinges for my 46 Ford sedan delivery. Yesterday I get a call from a guy who said he was from Union City California and he had 2 rear doors. Said his name was Stephen Carson (ph # 510-513-1460) said he worked for the railroad. He then told me his grandfather had 3 sedan delivery's at one time and when he sent them to the junk yard he kept the rear doors. He said a friend had called him and told him about my ad looking for a door. I ask him to send me pictures and he said he couldn't because he didn't have internet and they wanted $350.00 just to connect to it and he wasn't paying that kind of money. I ask him to take some pictures with his phone. He said he had a really old flip phone and it didn't take pictures. I thought all of that was odd. He said he wanted $350.00 each for the doors and could ship Greyhound. I then ask him to take some measurements and call me back which he said he would. When I got back home I measured my door and called him back. He didn't answer but called me right back and said his phone wasn't ringing but he saw it flashing. Anyway he had the measurements down perfect. So I thought he has to have a door in front of him. He said in the mean time someone from Arizona had called him on the doors and said he would take both and not to sell one to me because they were worth a lot more money than he told me before. Anyway this went back and forth about 4 phone calls until he tells me the other guy offered him $1300.00 for one door. He then got me up to $700.00. but said he wanted me to send the money last night Walmart to Walmart in his name. I had never heard of this kind of payment before but agreed to do it AND DID!!!! I have a factory rep who lives in Merced who is coming to see me in Montana in a couple of weeks. He said he would drive up over the weekend a pickup the door. Stephen said that wouldn't work but he would deliver the door to Merced on Friday. Thought that was odd being its over a 2 hour drive. So does this story sound like the one on the other post? Does to me!!!! So I call him today to tell him where to deliver and the phone is disconnected. Again this is the name and address he gave me. Stephen Carson 32647 Almden Blvd. Union City, California 94587 Ph. 510-513-1460 Anyway I am out $700.00 also.

2. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Did you do this before or after reading the other thread about Cates? I hope it was before....

3. Are you serious?

Walmart to Walmart sounds like a scam to me.HRP

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    ace5043 likes this.
  4. Cowtown

Cowtown

I wish I read the Walmart. What got me is all the questions about the door he answered perfect. the measurements on the door were right on to the 1/8 of a inch. He had to be looking at a door. I had him take some odd measurements just to be sure it wasn't a scam.

55hdyman likes this.

5. Cowtown

Cowtown

Sorry I meant to say I wish I would have read the other post before.

ls1yj likes this.
  6. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Does the payment have to go to a specific Walmart or can it be picked up at any Walmart in the country? If it had to go to a specific one then it should be possible to have someone there to intercept this clown when he goes there for the payment and then either call the cops or else take him out back for a friendly little chat, if you know what I mean....

7. Walmart should be abl e to trace this transaction and I am certain they get ID at the distant end but you will need the police to go any further in the investigation. Perhaps a call to security at Walmart in Arkansas would be a start????

8. Cowtown

Cowtown

I sent the money last night. Just called the Walmart # on the receipt. They said the money was picked up at 8.53 this morning. Once the money is picked up they can't do anything about it. They took his name and said they would bar him from using Walmart to Walmart again. They said he had to show ID to pick it up.

9. Damn Man! Gotts to be on your toes around here, or anywhere....... I think i'll go fishing, and have me some fun.
    Nothing like stringing the scammers. Hey you POS- you listening?
    Sorry Man for your woes.........

10. Walmart has video of the transaction, it would have been picked up at customer service, that video is available to the police but not to a customer, call the police and file a report!!!

lothiandon1940 and stillrunners like this.
  11. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

It amazes me how the desperate need for a rare part(sometimes not so rare) will cause people to ignore every bit of common sense they ever had. So many red flags and sent money anyhow amazing.

12. He can afford two internets now. I think you got the shaft, way too many red flags.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  13. frank spittle

frank spittle

He probably smiles every time his scam works. But I bet he won't be when he screws the wrong person. Someone who has "connections" and will make an example with him.

14. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Guys if you get ripped off by these scum bags report them at www.ic3.gov/

15. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

Something similar happened to me recently. A guy had a trailer for sale on craigslist a short distance away talked on the phone several times he knew all about the trailer, it was his father in laws who passed away yada yada. went to go get it told me to meet him at walmart parking lot. Then he wanted me to get a some kind of a cash card at Walmart. I told him I had cash but he wanted the card that's when I knew total scam. lost an hour of my time but no cashola so consider myself lucky. Saw the same ad yesterday on craigslist. Scammers are everywhere.

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

17. hey Cowtown.....want to buy a bridge in Brooklyn???? Cheap too.

18. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Give the guy a break. I'm pretty sure he feels bad enough already after losing $700 so making fun of him is not going to accomplish anything.... :rolleyes:

Ramjetus51, belair, harpo1313 and 6 others like this.
  19. I've been wheeling and dealing cars and parts for almost 45 years and never had a deal go south on me. Maybe I've developed a 6th sense about these things. I prefer cash and carry over anything, but buy a lot of parts online, here in the classifieds, Ford Barn, eBay and so on. You need to have some form of protection before you lay your $$ down.

20. 5window

5window

I am so sorry for your loss. But, all the scam threads, you should have seen all the warning signs-another sudden customer, phone issues-I have a flip phone and it takes pictures,no internet, well go to the damn public library. For $700 I'd make an effort. Even if the dude has a door in front of him, never means you'll get it. No USPS money order means no Feds involved. The whole thing just screams. There aren't just red flags, there are green ones and yellow ones and blue ones.
    Again, we are all sorry you've learned a tough lesson. Best of luck

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Your seller had multiple glowing red flags-WalMart $$$ transfer, Grandfather had the parts,not able to send pictures of the goods, upping the price, and the old I have someone else very interested, you better buy them quick. Probably got the door dimensions off the internet. May have even asked for them on a forum such as the HAMB.
    Should have asked if he was good with you sending your buddy from Merced to look at the doors/pay for them and haul them away.

Read (my tips and others) this how to avoid getting scammed post (which should be a sticky).

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ed-off-by-scam-artists.1069967/#post-12144187

Scammers and their scams exist for one reason. People keep falling for them. If everyone ceased to fall for them, these guys would have to move on to other money making ventures (legit or crooked)

5window likes this.
  22. dodge440pa

dodge440pa

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. dodge440pa

dodge440pa

Same guy, gave me a similar story that he worked for Union Pacific, same 510-513 phone number. I think we should set this guy up and catch him.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

24. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

X2

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

as I recall the other guy seemed to be from Hayward, (maybe) which is right next to Union City. guy may be right here in my hood.

26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

X2

Pat

Ric Dean likes this.