Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Washington Blue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, May 22, 2014.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I ordered a spray out color sample from TCP Global of SS Urethane Washington Blue.

I'm not sure I like it that much, it's so dark that it is almost black in some light and I would like a little more Blue tone.

It is supposed to be the same paint that Scott is spraying on his Modified Murray project however for some reason they don't look the same to me.

This is causing me some grief, I'd like to find a nice dark blue that is still obviously blue.

The first shot is my color sample and the second is Scott's grille shell.

IMG_20140522_160820.jpg IMG_41of1.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Seeing the pictures side by side on the screen, maybe they are pretty close. ?? They do look good on the computer monitor.

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Can't go wrong with Washington Blue. Hard to say, they look close on my screen but until it's on the car...

Test it on something, take it out in the sun and stare at it over a beer.

Stogy likes this.
  4. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Man that looks really good. I will be ordering Washington Blue from TCP pretty soon (I hope) to paint my T. Your photos just sold me on it.

Stogy likes this.

5. I hate to say it but this is why ordering or choosing paint based on what you see on the internet is pretty much impossible. Monitors, cameras all change what the actual colour of a paint looks like.

These two pictures are the exact same paint shot using two different cameras you would never know they were they same.

IMAG0804_zps2bcb0b2f.jpg IMG_77721_zps3315e73f.jpg

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

^ What he said ^

Also, for some reason color chips all look darker to me than when the paint goes on the car. To my eyes at least. Try looking at the color on something larger than a postcard, stand back, and look at it.

7. Any car I've ever seen in Washington blue is obviously blue. I did my roadster many moons ago in a custom mixed colour based on Dearborn blue. It is VERY dark, but when sprayed thinly on something or as overspray it is obviously blue. On the car however, 99.9% of people think it's black. I don't think you'll have that problem.

8. i see that the paint number is followed by a "". is that a variant? maybe "[A]" is lighter.
    for my car, i have ordered 1/2 pint samples of tcp global, and ppg base coat of 1956 caddy arlington green. after spraying them out, same gun, air pressure, temp, primer etc. they are quite different.

9. The (B) on the spray card label signifies the bluer variant.
    Colours do tend to look darker on smaller samples.

10. I tend to like it and wish it was on my 26 RPU. JW

11. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'm from washington, and i can say that without a doubt that has some blue in it....

What color primer did you shoot it over??

12. image.jpg Some Early Ford V8 guru once told me that apparently, back in the good old days,Edsel Ford wanted a colour available on the cars that was the very same Ford blue tone used on the Ford logo, badges and signage and it is called "Washington Blue" I wonder how true that is? Anyone heard this? Apparently my '39 coupe is Washington Blue.
    -H.R.D-

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  13. image.jpg This original factory paint Tudor that was advertised here is Washington Blue.

14. My version of Washington Blue Phone pics 268.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

FYI, PPG shows 21 different shades of Washington Blue. Modern paints tend to distort the original color unless hand mixed by an expert that knows the color you are seeking. Brizio paints some really nice Washington Blue roadsters. Here are a couple of different shades called Washington Blue. The roadster looks almost black in the shade and the delivery is definitely the correct color as Henry envisioned it.
    I love the color.

IMG_1710.jpg unnamed.jpg

16. Here is my "Washington Blue" truck. The paint does vary quite a bit based on lighting and shadows.

This paint is a PPG single stage that is actually a GM color not the official Ford Washington Blue.

20140426_175719.jpg

mine3.jpg