Register now to get rid of these ads!

WARNING on Rubber Fuel Hoses!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by safari-wagon, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Lucky3

Lucky3

There ya have it ! ^^^^^^^^^

2. Lucky3

Lucky3

Methanol race fuel (with lube) is a completely different chemical than the Ethanol blended with gasoline. Not the same situation.

3. 52pig

52pig

Maybe the hoses are at fault, or is petroleum based rubber meant to last forever?? I work on cars all day every day, the worst culprit I've seen is bio-diesel. Vegetable oil is awful in a car or in your body.
    When it comes down to it inspect your jalopy and be safe.

4. Speed~On

Speed~On

I should have provided more details in my above post. We ran a 3/8” steel line from the gas tank to the fuel pump, then another 3/8 steel line from the fuel pump to the carb. I am running an Edelbrock 600 CFM carb on my SBC.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    As I stated in my above post Russell/Edelbrock makes the fitting to screw the steel line into the carb. It is Russell/Edelbrock Part #8090. It is a brass fitting that accepts the 3/8 steel line. I purchased the fitting from the Summit Racing catalog for $14.00.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I am sure all of you know this but it&#8217;s worth repeating. It&#8217;s always a good idea to use 2 fuel filters. One located between the gas tank and fuel pump and the other between the fuel pump and carb. Obviously use the higher qaulity fuel filters (not the cheap clear plastic filters that break and cause fires J )
    <o:p> </o:p>
    2 filters are a good idea as I learned the hard way on this one. I had some debris in my tank that traveled through the fuel line to my fuel pump. The desbris pierced the diaphram in the fuel pump, thus ruining the pump. Luckily I was not on the road when this happened, but I had to replace my new fuel pump with another new fuel pump.

5. LWT

LWT
    from Va.

I have been looking into this for the past few weeks. I'm doing a total rebuild of a car that I have & I've had the problem of a rubber hose & a rubber based braided fuel line breaking down twice, once causing a fire, & once a fuel leak. Luckily the fire was in the driveway & I got it put out quickly. There is no way to check the rubber of a braided line once it is in place & I don't want to go thru that again. I found a company called TechAFX that has a Teflon based braided line with AN fittings. If you don't like the look of silver braid, they offer BlackWrap- same braided line with a rubber coating over the braid. They are the only place I found with this kind of hose & fittings and I looked at all of the big name companys.

6. krooser

krooser

I think some of the problems comes from the special fuels you guys in the big cities are required to run... personally I have never had any problems with fuel line degradation even on my old beaters.

IIRC there are about 40 "special blends" in use around the country.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/gasolinefuels/rfg/index.htm

7. Great info................Thanks for putting this out.

8. Lurker McGurk

Lurker McGurk
    BANNED
    from next door

Was just going to say what Ole Don said. Only way to go.
    Use fuel injection rubber line.

9. You can also heatshrink the braided line as well. Here are some that I stripped the red & blue anodizing from the outsides and heatshrinked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kadillackid likes this.
  10. insinerator

insinerator

Hope this helps. But one of the main problems with the rubber fuel lines is they are not much rubber any more. They are producing 'rubber' more like a vinyl. That being said and i was not aware of this till recently. Maybe you guys were, but the soaps and cleaners everyone uses are made to break down petroleum products. Ive always cleaned my hands and tools etc with dawn since it cleans grease so well. But i noticed the hamdles of my snap-on screwdrivers have started to melt in the drawers. As many other tools have started showing signs of. Plus washing more then a few fuel lines, snd other hoses you can feel them start breaking down as you wash them with dawn and a few others. Just something to be aware of. Together with harsh weather, higher pressures and all the bull s..t additives in the gas its no wonder. Plus the companies that produce the line are selling old stock trying to keep up with the demand after the covid hoax. Same why its hard to get rubber gloves anymore that dont break the bank....vinyl.