Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wanted!!! 1964/65 Ford Falcon A/FX Pics!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FAST EDDIE'S HOT ROD SHOP, Nov 24, 2009.

1. tpw35

tpw35

MD1320guy lets see some pictures.

2. cooljunk

cooljunk

Joe, What is the steering box? I have cross steer with oil pan interference.

3. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

It is a Ross. I included a few pics of it.

Let me know if I can help further.

Joe

Attached Files:

4. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Looking good Hubert, Awesome shot.

[​IMG]

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;he probably had JUST a TOUCH of Hydrazine mixed in there!!!!!Hubert told a great story about hydrazine at the 2004 Reunion!!! ROY.

6. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

The swiss cheese bracket if for an air bag mount.

Joe

7. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Thanks for all the input on my wheelwells. I think I'm really leaning toward a compromise between "stretched" & "stock. Nor/Am Auto Body Parts makes complete quarter panels (top to bottom & door to bumper) for the Falcon so it should be easy to move the wheelwell around when I replace my rusted skins.

The first pic is the layout for moving the wheelwell forward.

Then the actual surgery. This made the wheelwell look way too long.

Finally a mock-up of the wheelwell with the back portion moved forward. This wheelwell is 5" longer than a stock shape wheelwell & seems pretty well proportioned for the 30" tire. There is still enough room fore & aft if I ever decide to go to a 32" Radir.

Any comments???.....Mike

Attached Files:

8. 65COMET

65COMET

I like version #3,looks great!! ROY.

9. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Yep im with roy..#3,,,looks sweet !

Rooster

10. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Personally, I would make the wheel well a bit taller also to make the stretch on the length proportionally equivalent to a stretch on the height. Whatever way you go, it will be cool none the less.

That is a tough personal decision. Good luck on your project.

Joe

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That looks good to me too

12. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Joe

I'm not much of a sheetmetal mechanic, but I would like to raise the wheelwells 3/4" - 1" but stay out of the body line an inch or so. I want a little of the sidewall buldge to show but not the whole tire like gassers with radiused wheelwells, of course that's a product of ride height too. Kinda like a woman with a little bulge showing over a demi-cup bra, peaks the imagination.

13. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I like your comparison!

14. Race Artist

Race Artist

My two cents worth is to do it all like Phil Bonner's Daddy Warbucks '65 car ... there isn't a more perfect Falcon ... or AWB car ever built than that car. Joel

Attached Files:

15. Joel:

I hear ya Brother! That car is my all time Favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to do a Tribute Car of that one, I'm sure Phil would love to see it done

FE

[​IMG]

Ole Mercury Junky hangin with Phil at The HHRR 2010

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  16. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Quarter panels are ordered (6 - 8 weeks delivery). So my attention has turned to the inside. Who would have known 60+ years ago that my preschool paper cutting talents would come in so handy. The question now is "to tub or not to tub"

When I had to replace the rear frame rails the new ones were made for modern style cars (high arches over the axle so the car could sit low). Now I have more than 4" of clearance around the tire just by following the contour of the frame rail (pic 1). I could easily do a smooth floor following the frame rail without making a tub (pic 2 & 3). Or I could build a tub just because I could, I guess (pic 4 & 5).

You guys were so helpful with the wheelwells its time to comment on the tubs.....Mike

Attached Files:

17. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Joel

That was one of my options. But after actually seeing the wheelwell stretched out that far I opted to close it up a bit.

I too would like to do a Bonner tribute car, but a lot of the parts on his car are almost impossible to find or recreate today. He had a Holman-Moody twisted leaf front suspension system that I wanted to use on my Falcon but no part exist anymore. He also used an Austrailian right hand drive steering box to move the sector shaft to the outside of the frame. I've talked to several Austrailian gearheads but can't find a box. Thats the drawback. If I did try to do a tribute car I would want it as close as possible.....Mike

18. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I like the wheel tub version on the interior....oh...and everything about your build.:D

19. 65COMET

65COMET

I like it,both versions!!! I think I would tub it incase you decide to lower the car!! ROY.

20. choke

choke

Some of the really early A/FX cars did not have individual tubs. Your version w/o the tubs would be a tribute to that era and also a lot easier to do. They also used alot of fiberglass istead of tin. The two original AWB cars I had were originally done this way.

21. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Bodywork can be a daunting task if you are not totally comfortable with it. You are doing a real nice job and making it somewhat like the Bonner car is good since that was a beautiful car. I am not a big fan of "tribute" cars but being influenced by a car is respectful. Make it your own but let history help guide the way.

"I'm not much of a sheetmetal mechanic, but I would like to raise the wheelwells 3/4" - 1" but stay out of the body line an inch or so. I want a little of the sidewall buldge to show but not the whole tire like gassers with radiused wheelwells, of course that's a product of ride height too. Kinda like a woman with a little bulge showing over a demi-cup bra, peaks the imagination"

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Any new word on Phil Bonner's leg surgery? ROY.

23. nugget32

nugget32

Balkins Falcon

24. SOHC427

SOHC427

Roy, have not heard anything yet. I ask Earl tomorrow. Hope he is doing good, he is a great guy!
    Eric
    1320, looking good!

25. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

I remember mid to late 65, when they started taking the side & rear windows out of the A/FXs, that they just ran a panel up the roll bar to the window line then flat back to the back window. No sheet metal floor from the roll bar to the back bumper & no wheel tubs. Open the trunk & see nothing but tires, rear & the ground. Gene Snow, Ramchargers, Rebel Rouser, Seaton Shaker & the list goes on & on. Of course the Comet guys just cut the tops off & made roadsters. But I think thats a little too radical for me since I'm leaving the windows in.

26. Race Artist

Race Artist

I'm not a fan of tribute cars either ... I wasn't suggesting to build one ... I was just putting my two cents worth in for the longer opening like Bonner's car. In my opinion many of the new AWB nostalgia cars just don't get the right "look" of the era. Far more cars back in mid-late '65 and '66 had elongated openings and too many modern cars stuff the tires into a relocated stock size opening and kill the flavor. These cars back then were done in between racing and evolved quickly. In my opinion, and just my opinion ... way too many "restored" cars (and tribute cars) are done way off base, done too pretty too. Anyway ... just my opinion.
    Joel

27. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Its funny. I was just thinking that while some of the Comets got blowers and/or became roadsters, I can't think of any Falcons that went that direction. I guess all the Ford guys evolved into stretch nose Mustangs in '66 while the Mercury guys stayed with '65 Comets until the flip-tops came out. Strange.....Mike

28. Race Artist

Race Artist

Bonner ran his Falcon into 1966 before getting the long nose Mustang. The Comet racers got their flip tops in '66. At least Nicholson, Schartman Kenz & Leslie and Chrisman did.
    Joel