Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wait.........something has gone missing!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah WTF, I'll pile on too.

We all know there's overlap within any of this specialty car shit. A Mallory flat cap is kool shit, but asking how to adapt it to an LS Chevy? That's not even overlap (no, it's not a topic, I think...). Of course there's always interpretation and crossover, but a little respect for your fellow enthusiast goes a long way. We all know who crosses over and who doesn't if you've been here a while. Got a weird or OT question? Send a PM. No harm, no foul.

In the future as in the past I'll be sharing my 65 GTO 'Day 2' car here. It's been made clear over many years it's ok. That doesn't mean I can go get a 69 and share it too (yet). For those who like DUBS and injected LS stuff, I'd bet a good cup of coffee there's a dozen other forums that would love to have you. We would too if you lost the DUBS and the motor :eek:. Well, maybe. Bottom line, this shit's as hard or as easy as you want it to be. I like easy. I'm lazy like that.

And to you @DDDenny, "grey" is traditional, but so was "Gray" Baskerville. Sorta like driving on parkways and parking in driveways. My story, I'll tell it my way.:cool:

Stogy, Sky Six, Nostrebor and 2 others like this.
  2. town sedan

town sedan

No dog in this fight. Just want to point out that compared to the HAMB of 10 to 15 years ago, today's HAMB is overly kind and gentle. Even kumbayaish like at times. Oh well, I like this place because I'm also stuck in the bias ply / points 'n condenser world of my youth.
    -Dave

Saxman, Stogy, Muttley and 3 others like this.
  3. Yeah, but way back in the dark ages of the HAMB we used to discuss all sorts of shit without the moderators deleting the thread.

I don't know why HAMBers in general these days can't take an opportunity to educate instead of copping a holier-than-thou bullshit attitude. People should have to take IQ and comprehension tests before they should be allowed to operate a keyboard.

4. 5window

5window

IFS has been around since 1922 in the Lancia Lambda. How far back do you need to go to be traditional?

5. .........................So true. I lurked for almost a year before I got up the nerve to ask a question and then I had to make sure that it was germane and on-topic. Now it seems Newbies (remember that term?) come on here and want to describe the pink cupcake they're eating. Back in the day, there were folks who would quickly tell them to shove the cupcake up their ass. I'm speaking metaphorically of course (hopefully) because some people seem to feel that either the rules don't apply to them or the rules need to change to suit them. For those people, I say get over yourself. You don't own the website, you didn't pour your heart and soul and hard earned money into creating it. For the life of me, sometimes I wonder why Ryan (and the Moderators) put up with some of the bullshit perpetrated on here.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Thor1, X38, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  6. Thor1, Barn Hunter, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

Deemed "off topic" does not equal "your shit sucks". It just doesn't fit here, it's nothing personal. I used to run the gate at a car show with fairly strict criteria, and I don't think I ever was able to get that point across.

The fact that Ak Miller had early Chevy IFS on his roadster doesn't make a Mustang II kit traditional, the fact that Kinmonts existed doesn't make every other disc brake setup historically accurate. I don't see that as splitting hairs.

There was a great thread on the history of hose clamps a couple years back, with patent dates discussed and everything. I read that and I knew I was with "my people".

If you're looking for a website that caters to discussions like this thread, try Facebook.

Thor1, RMR&C, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  8. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I totally agree that off topic does not mean "sucks". The hose clamp quote really throws me though. I can understand that being a point of discussion in a first gen Camaro restoration site, but here? I deal antiques for a living and I get heavily into details of the past. Actually DID first gen Camaros for a while. BUT...Just for grins I'd like to start a thread asking for cars that are strictly, yes 100% built with pre 1964 or even repro 1964 period parts. Literally NOTHING made after 1964. I bet we'd have less than a dozen cars that can truly tote that line. Seems to me there was a time early on when I joined that there was a discussion of traditional "appearing" cars being acceptable...maybe around the time of the big site overhaul. Sad part is this guys car is a steel 34 with a 55 hemi. Some nimrod threw IFS on it at some point and now he's the devil incarnate. IFS can be changed and maybe he'll do that someday...especially being fenderless. But compare it to a 92 Olds or Hundai? Come on! So how many of you can truly say "I don't have anything newer than 1964 on my car?" Not me...and I'm not looking for another website, but let he who is without HAMB sin cast the first stone.

SquintBoy, 5window and Clay Belt like this.
  9. To the Butt hurt OP -
    Your shit got deleted because you wouldn't leave it alone and ran it into the fuckin' ground!
    It is NOT the Mod's job to see to it that you "get'' it. Percentages? Come on. Try not starting shit.
    You're obviously a smart guy, but it ain't about making us fit you.

SquintBoy, Hombre, RMR&C and 5 others like this.
  10. donnie

donnie
    from NC

11. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Very interesting history. It looks like it peaked at being a streetrod with the flip front/quad headlights but it's heading in the right direction back to being a hotrod. Just a suspension fix and some gold paint/white interior/fenders/wheels....keep it going.

12. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

20170713_130106.jpg 20180616_075816.jpg 20170515_101011.jpg bills phone 038.jpg bills phone 005.jpg Strictly adhering to the rules, none of my cars make the cut. They are all steel cars.
    Disc brakes, newer drivetrains, Pete & Jake chassis, air conditioning and more.
    Damn! Lol
    Where does aftermarket bodies fall in the list. A lot of guys are using those to build on.

13. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Clay Belt likes this.
  14. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

How about all of the hard core HAMB guys show us their PERSONALLY OWNED strictly traditional cars...
    Let's see 'em.

I don't own any.

15. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

5window, Clay Belt and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

This is a great idea. Lets see them. I don't own any either.

Clay Belt and aerocolor like this.
  17. .....................................I don't own one either, but I surely appreciate those that do.:)

chevy57dude and Clay Belt like this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

Kookie car.... Hotrod or street rod?????

19. Squablow

Squablow

I'm not really sure that's the point, with a good attitude, and by not discussing the parts of a build that aren't strictly historically accurate, a car doesn't need to be 100% period correct to be on the HAMB. It's more the poking-the-beehive attitude or cars with obvious later parts and modifications where the line is drawn, and that line has to be drawn somewhere, by someone. It's a tough job, but it's not meant to hurt anyone's feelings.

That said, I'll put my T up here, I was very careful in making it historically accurate, including PPG black paint and yes, correct hose clamps, the kind with the little bolts that can only fit one size properly, even though worm drive clamps were around before WWII.

20180629_225425.jpg
    20180629_225207.jpg
    This car shares garage space with a very off-topic car which I've never felt the need to post on the HAMB. It's cool if you're into different stuff, most of us are, it's just that this is not the place to discuss it.

rc57, Thor1, Barn Hunter and 11 others like this.
  20. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I totally agree with your comments. I didn't ask for pics to be contrary but the "glass houses " issue comes to mind.
    These days with parts hoarding and '32-'34 $1500 grille shells, firewalls and original fenders commonplace, doing a strictly traditional car is near impossible unless you luck out on an existing build.
    Very nice car.
    That's one...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  21. squirrel

squirrel

that's just it...most cars are not 100% traditional, and that's ok, and it's ok to talk about them here. But if you start a thread to discuss why your car is a hot rod or a street rod, you can expect trouble.

Most of us have figured out how it works. And what can slip by, if you don't draw attention to it.

22. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

23. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Yes and more.
    Usually averages around a dozen on hand at any time.
    I build constantly and buy more projects than I should. Retired now so every day is Saturday. Lol
    I have a very understanding wife and no children. She goes to work and I go to the garage!

24. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Yeah I don't care for you! Awesome cars man......

25. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Beefsteak or cherry? Those cherry tomato people need to go somewhere else......

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

upload_2018-7-12_13-36-24.png

lothiandon1940 and Clay Belt like this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My 40 Ford. 49 331 caddy, Horne intake 4 original 97’s, adapted to the stock trans. I beam axle. Stock brakes. Bias ply tires, generator. Dual point Mallory. Porter steel packed mufflers.....[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Saxman, hrm2k, LAROKE and 13 others like this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

Nice!!!!!!......:cool::)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. In all fairness, the OP was getting a bit bent, angry and lashing out. He admits he’s a “tenacious bastard”. It seemed like he was trying to start a fight. Bating people...

That just makes me like him MORE!

Rage on, dude, keeps these threads interesting. Don’t apologize for having some spunk.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Clay Belt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.