Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods W motor expert!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Boul, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Well gents I considered myself somewhat of a "W" motor reservoir of information. I was a drag race teenage nutcase during that period. I have owned (and raced) 348's and 409's. I was at the 1961 AHRA race in San Antonio and saw one of the first 61 SS 409's. I was blown away not only was it beautiful it hauled ass. I set out to find out all available about this combo plus buy and race several 409's of my own. My college POV was a 62 belaire with a transplanted junk yard 409/409.
    Here's the reason for the post: I saw a 61 Impala SS (at a recent car-show) that was absolutely immaculate, perfect in every way...except it had a dual quad 409. The car won top award, it really was they nice. At that time I told my buddy, "why would you make a 1000 point car with an incorrect engine". Subsequently I've been told that GM made ten 61's with dual quads...
    Would be interested in HAMB comments!

2. I have heard rumors that the early 409 while rare cold be had with 2 4s on an iron intake. But I always passed it off as BS. I have never seen documentation or a real example.

I always figured it ranked right up there with the 427 Mystery motor that someone's uncle had.

Anyway unless someone knows for fact that it is true it will always remain in the rumor mill for me.

Hey while I am thinking about it what did the one that you saw have for carburetors? I would think that a '61 would have had rochseter or carter 4 jets or WCFBs.

3. 270283

I believe a dual quad set-up was approved for the racers (Strickler-Jenkins etc.) late in the model year.

4. It is confusing as the 409 option was not available until mid-production year. Some charts do not show the 409hp, only the 360hp. With only 142 409 equipped 1961 cars there were VERY few if any 2x4 made.

5. Fuelaltereds4life

Fuelaltereds4life

I know they released a special performance package in 62 for the factory backed racers which included 2-piece intake manifold, camshaft, high compression pistons and raised runner heads and high flow manifolds... Many confuse this with the Z11 engine but it was not the same...

I have never heard of a 2 x 4 packaged being released in 61... just the single quad 360 horsepower 409. Best place to verify would be over on www.348-409.com

6. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

It looked just like a 62 409 / 409. I had one so I have 1st hand knowledge of this setup. They where carter carbs something like 4301's...not sure about the numbers. I also had a 62 380 horse that had a similar carb. Again my astonishment was here was a 1000 point car (absolutely fabulous) with what I perceived as a "non-stock" engine. The car I saw in 1961 was a 360 horse box stock impala with black-walls and bottle caps, chicken bar and aluminum rocker moldings.
    Someone out there know all things "W". I went on to blown alcohol and injected nitro but never forgot the "W" motors.

7. biscaynes

biscaynes

mid year '61 release of the 360hp single 4bbl 409, late year chevy released over the parts counter a 2-4bbl setup which jenkins/strickler used to run in the OS/S class