Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vulcans Vicky Never Lost?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redo32, Aug 6, 2009.

1. redo32

redo32

It's been sitting right here for over 30 years.

Attached Files:

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

WTF??? That car rules.

3. Always dug that car. Was looking at it in an annual the other night again! Do tell!?

4. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

We need more info! :D

5. Fuck, The Vulcan's Vicky is the best ever '32 Vicky.

What is the plan? Is it going to converted back to how it was featured in Hot Rod?

6. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

YOU SUCK ...........I HATE YOU............ok really though I love that car and admire you for having it now tell us more before a riot starts...........lol............WOW!!!!!!!!!........ some people have all the luck.........I am not going to be able to sleep good at night without hearing more about this one.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

DETAILS!!!!!!!!! MORE DETAILS!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea that car was still arond, please post the history on it. I've got the Hot Rod issue it was in.

8. brandon

brandon

had those crazy up draft carbs....that car was too cool. now get rid of that jegs sticker:D

9. madpole

madpole

that was one mean looking vicky. it would be great to see it returned to its glory days!! any more pictures of it from the years between the old photos and now?

10. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I used to watch them run at Lions. That was a sweet car.

11. redo32

redo32

It's not mine. I've heard rumors of an old race car Vicky up in the woods & a buddy went to look at an old van that was for sale & came back with a story of this old drag car that the guy claimed was the Vulcans Vicky. I had to check it out.The guy was friendly & about talked my ear off. I don't remember everything he said, but he grew up at Lions and after returning from Viet Nam he had an opportunity to buy the Vulcans Vicky from a guy named Freeman,who raced a lot of cars under Freeman & Son. The frame had already been changed, it is a tapered rec tube with light weight axel, 4 bar and the same steel front wheels from the original. There is a patch on the firewall that matches the cutout for the carb tubes. He said it was run in this configuration with the blown Hemi, which he did not get. He set it up for a Chev & said at one time it had a 409, but I didn't get the imppresion that he had ever run the car. The body is pretty good except where he cut it for the headers and the back panel is a bit lumpy. He said he stripped the purple paint. He didn't actually say the car was for sale, but he did say a fella asked & he blew him out of the water with a high price. What do you think this car is worth & do you have a blown Hemi to put in it. ..Red

12. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

wow! that'd be so cool if someone restored it.....and then raced it at the HAMB drags!

13. Muttley

Muttley

That is really strange, I was going to start a thread tomorrow asking if anyone knew the whereabouts of that car. The Vulcan's Vicky is my all time favorite Hot Rod. If that is indeed the real car its really a shame its not complete and has been changed so much. :( :(

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sooooooo needs to be restored to its former glory!!

Awww, shit. I said restored!! Do I need a cloth hat and plaid trousers/sports coat now?

Doc.

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Some cars stick in your brain forever. This is one of them for me. IIRC the updraft carbs were from a military tank!!

16. I've seen a lot of good looking highboy sedans, but that Vicky really looks good.

Cries out for a bit of top chop imo.

It does look like it's been tubbed.

I think we have a guy here on the HAMB who's building one....:D:cool:

17. Terry O

Terry O

Oh yeah it's been tubbed. Not much at all left of the original if indeed it is the Vulcan's. Easy for the owner to say in order to up the antee, but without a paper trail impossible to prove. A lot of the cool stuff we remember is still around though lost, hiding out as gutted shells turned street rods or re-re-built hot rods with some of the body pieces of the famous original. I'd like to believe the Vulcan Vicky was found but Mutley, I'd keep on looking in those barns.

Terry

18. redo32

redo32

Old race cars evolve & are updated & at some point are sometimes thought of little value. Gordy said he paid $100.00 for it. I don't know if he has any pictures of it before he stripped the purple paint. He is the kind of guy that I think would have drug out the picture album if it existed. He did admit to doing a lot of drugs & he does seem to be somewhat disconnected with the world. He is a packrat like all collectors & there are narrow walkways around the cars in his shop. A couple of years ago Summit had a sale on Chevrolet chrome 10" aircleaners, I bought a couple at $10 ea. He has at least a dozen. When my wife complains about my collecting I'm going to take her to Gordy's garage. My piles are 3ft high & his are 8-10 ft. Gordy is obviously a tinkerer, but not a fabricator or craftsman. It really didn't look like he changed much since he's had it. The frame looks professional & fairly high tech for the mid '6o's. Gordy's just an old hippy on Social Security, but if you saw his eyes light up when he talked about hanging out at Lions when he was a kid, you would tend to believe him too. He is a dreamer not a do'er. Sincere, not a hustler.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If in fact it is the Vulcan's car it should be easy to document by the cowl patches. There can't be 2 of them with those holes that needed patching. The cowl lip does look like it's been worked where the front hoop passed through.

20. redo32

redo32

Hey Tommy, The patch seems to be in the right spot & the middle is still cut. Terry seems concerned that somebody would try to fake it to make it more valuable. I don't think these old race cars had titles. It would be cool if somebody from Long Beach would verify the Freeman & Sons connection.

21. redo32

redo32

22. F&J

F&J

The underside of the cowl is what I would be looking at. If it shows what should be there for patches, then that would be proof enough, because the car was never bought for resale....and no reason to fake it.

23. turdytoo

turdytoo

The channelled, unchopped Vicky with a almost stock full hood & blown Chrysler is what made it so memorable IMO.

24. Muttley

Muttley

I'd like to believe that too, and hey, I even have an extra kidney I could sell to buy it. ;) :D

25. redo32

redo32

26. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

On occaision I run into one of the original members of the "VULCANS", He still has the manifold and updraft carbs. He's into gullwing mercedes now.

27. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Is that Jesus or Manson on the radiator shell?:D:D:D

28. redo32

redo32

Hey Sphynx, that's a self portrait of "Gordy"

29. I would think if you looked hard enough there should be some purple paint somewhere on it. That for me would verify it.

30. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

different motor/trans, different frame, tubbed, stripped the original paint, cut the body for some headers, JEGS sticker.....sounds like it might be more original to just start over with a fresh body - have to remake everything else anyway and then fix the body too. I am not sure if it would be more sad to be the actual car or that it isn't.