Register now to get rid of these ads!

Volvo builds a hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Foul, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

2. ig'nant

ig'nant

I like where they're going with it, but it's got some weird Ikea design aesthetic that's hard to put my finger on. There's something too.... teutonic about it. That would figure, considering it's origin, but still. It just don't sit right in a hot rod.

3. superleggera

superleggera

I'm glad to see the similarities / inspiration from the Dan & Ashley Webb roadster from three years ago appearing in this modernized Volvo hot rod. Hopefully more folks start building more of these lakes-modified roadsters in the future!

4. chopdtop

chopdtop

I like it! I'd paint the rims black and leave the very outside lip chrome/aluminum or whatever they are alone. The luggage up front really looks cool too.

5. Fiorano

Fiorano

6. I like it. Got a great look to it. No reason that someone could not manufacture one of these for fairly cheap, killer gas mileage, etc... You can preach "traditional" all ya want, but there will come a day when these parts are no where to be found or made. I would love to see on of America's big three (Ford, GM, Chrysler) pick up on this and make a cool frickin hot rod again. And no, the Prowler wasn't it. Blahh.

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Is there such a thing as a FACTORY built hotrod????
    Seems like an oxymoron.....

8. Yeah, but I can dream can't I? :D

9. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I have to say That it is very well thought out. Although i am curious to see the suspension on that front axle. And the tail light treatment is just as wild. All in all I love it and would be right there to buy one for a everday driver as well.

10. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's pretty cool. I didn't even realize Volvo had been making cars that long. I wonder if anyone else has rodded these, they look like a great car to work with.

PS: I wonder how well it's going to go over with the granola types. We gonna start seeing hot rods shows in front of Whole Foods now? I guess that's why it runs on ethanol.

11. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I just looked at the pics again.....no seat belts or air bags!!!!

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Thank you!

I want to like it, really. Whereas Ashley's roadster is most definitely a contemporary version of the old track style roadster, this one seems a little too homogenized maybe even a bit neutered. Webb's roadster has more funk! The Volvo's overall proportions are pretty nice though.

13. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe these are real "hot rods"? The Chrysler and Chevy have old Ford parts on them. Everybody knows only Fords are hot rods. ;)

The Chrysler has a 27 T body (repro) and dropped I-beam axle. And the Chevy has Ford headlights and another I-beam axle.

14. tjm73

tjm73

265 hp, cool.
    370 Nm = ~273 ft-lbs., cool.

15. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Neither can I ,It sucks,it's just another big end of town marketing tool to sell Hot rodding to a niche market and fleece the gullible .( PT Cruiser,Viper,Cross fire,Prowler... need I go on ?)
    Just like this...you too could build something that looks like this if you are billion dollar company keen to sell consumer shit to the masses ,which is the only reason it was built.And no doubt built by a committee using cc software and millions in consumer research studies and focus group consultations. And why the orange brief case in the front?
    [​IMG]

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That's because you don't need them for photo shoots and to drive around inside a convention center. The front mounted leather brief case wouldn't last too long out on the road either. I appreciate them all as concept vehicles and corporate inspiration, but sort of stops there for me. Somebody with some skills, please photocrop that Volvo with some skinnier wheels on the front to give that thing a fighting chance. The big fat front wheels are horrible.

17. Il Duce

Il Duce
    from Sweden

Your saying its a trailerqueen? If so it would be the first one ever built by Leif Tufvesson....

Some other work by Caresto:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

What? Some nice comments here on the HAMB> Let me be the official naysayer.....LOL

It shouldnt even be here as it is not traditional. It has plastic body parts, inappropriate wheels (that arent even painted red) and a new style engine. It is an American wannabe that needs to get a life. (There, that felt better)

19. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

I like it, like everyone else not really the wheels. That being said can you imagine driving that thing? With that much rubber it is literally a big Go Kart. I love that hard line between the hood top and sides.

20. Would you guys like the wheels better if they were wood grained?
    Same number of spokes as the original.
    I can see where he was going with it.
    I would drive it in a heart beat.
    It is a very modern car that makes a nod to tradition.
    I don't see or hear anyone trying to sell it as a "Traditional Hot Rod".
    As for "It's not practical", neither was the Mysterion, or the Beatnik Bandit.
    Heck, the Lunar Lander and the Atomic punk aren't exactly mainstream car lot fodder. How is it we can praise the unique and creative in one thread and disparage it in another?

Pay attention, there will be a test later.

21. nexxussian

nexxussian

Now I'm screwed!:eek::D

22. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Dudes name is Leif Tufvesson and his company is named Caresto. He\s one of those magicians that you almost hate because they are so much more talented then you are... He won some Petersen price for a year or so on another Volvo based roadster and displayed it on Sema. He used to work for Koenigsegg as a tin man. I met the guy as he did tinwork on my buddys extreme Brabus Mercedes. Very skillful.

23. 067chevy

067chevy

I like it even if it is new.

24. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

other than the wheels I like it. It would look better with some skinny wires.

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Not to me; I like 'em both. I think i saw your T at Back to the 50's in St Paul about 10 years ago; is that likely? Anyway, I think it looks great.

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That's the car that I thought was most in the spirit of the AMBR award, but it received very little notice. The display was probably too understated.

...and the wheels blow. Cool car otherwise!

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I like it. I don't like the wheels & tires, but I get the reference to the original Jakob.

It's interesting how many auto manufacturers are doing stuff along these lines -- the Prowler, the Holden Efigy, and the Hot Wheels deal at SEMA with participation from Ford, GM, Chrysler, and others.

So the car companies are all on their asses and grasping at straws. "Might as well find out what those crazy outlaw hot rodders are doing; maybe they know something we don't." Nawwww.

28. daddylama

daddylama

being a mix of a traditional hot rodder... and a volvo freak ... i seriously dig this one.
    i was checking out a restored late 1920s Volvo in Sweden a while back, thinking how much i'd love to cut into it. 9 months of crappy winter gives ya lots of time to sit in the garage and build :)

29. I wonder if fat guys fit in it.....