Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Volt meter for Older Fords

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sweet & Low, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Hey guy's
    Although I have never had a problem with the old Amp Gauge's I have had in other old Fords I have built. I decided after reading other guys FIRE problems on the HAMB I would go with a Volt Meter instead, just to be on the safe side.

It's a late model 302 small block Ford 12 volt system running an alternator in a 46 Ford. I have looked on line to see if I could find one of the repo instrument companies that was producing a Volt Meter that would be similar in looks to the stock gauge and take its place in the stock dash.
    I am having NO luck in finding such a gauge. I would hate the look of added gauges under the dash,
    I guess I could always run it through an idiot light but would like it in the stock dash.

Do you guy's know of any company making such a Volt Meter?

2. I'm not aware of anyone making a 'stock replacement' voltmeter for the '42-48 Fords. Your best bet will be an instrument company that will 'convert' your existing ammeter to a voltmeter, such as Williams Instruments.

If you're up to tackling it yourself, there are some 'how tos' here on the HAMB...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...modern-gauges-in-your-vintage-cluster.567797/
    Another, more abbreviated one... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-a-good-idea-at-the-time.421572/#post-4878804

Dakota Digital makes some replacement gauges sets, but they aren't cheap and won't look original.

3. Your car is a 46. have you looked at the gauge itself? 38 and 39 I know for sure are Inductive amp meters. The voltage does not run through the gauge itself, it just senses amperage in the inductive pick up, so you don't need to worry about fires from the gauge failing. I have several sets of gauges for 39 fords that have the optional volt meter in them. I have found the Original gauges are not to hard to find as NOS parts on Ebay.
    I have seen volt meters in 39 and 40 fords and have been told that they were available as options up through 48

4. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

No, the 46 has the old type that has the wire running through the back of the gauge.
    To be safe I will need to go with a volt meter. I'm just getting ready to start to rewire the complete car
    so I'm trying to get any problems solved of at least going in the right direction before I begin.

5. If it's the type with a metal 'loop' that the wire goes through, you can safely run those. It might kill the gauge down the road if you have a high-amp alternator, but there's no inherent fire danger from a gauge failure. It'll just stop working.

If it has two screw terminals for wires, that's the type that will catch fire...

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  6. samurai mike

samurai mike

what about running some kind of breaker? anybody try that?