Register now to get rid of these ads!

Visor Reinforcement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nexxussian, Oct 11, 2007.

1. nexxussian

nexxussian

I have a 1931 Tudor Sedan that I would like to reinforce or beef up the visor so it doesn't flutter at freeway speeds. I will have the top off for replacement this spring (it turned into a cape) and would like to do the work then.

I have searched and I either seem to get 20 pages of not what I'm looking for or nothing.

I would prefer to avoid puting a brace from the center of the visor to the windshield header.

Would a piece of steel (or tube) leaded into the bead at the bottom do it? Would I need to wrap it around and pick up the screws at the lower corners? Or do you think it needs more? I want to leave it as stock appearing as I can (and I'm not filling the roof with steel so I can't weld it to that).

2. pitman

pitman

In the '31 A coupe, the flutter you mention never seemed to exist. No steel top insert, just stock top bows and perhaps welded seam corners where the visor joined the A pillar.

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

Thank you, I'll have to think about that.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Is the wood header panel in good condition? This is the base for whole struction at the top front.

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

I haven't had the rest of the top off to see yet. The top that came off was stuck on over the old one (and we duct taped and screwed the newer one back on to make it home). the older (raggedy looking one) didn't tear off but wasn't attached at the front anymore. I was seriously considering changing at least that particular piece(s) of wood. I may have to get a wood kit anyway, I haven't seen the bows yet.

Thanks for checking though. I am new to the Model A and I might not have thought of that.

6. The one on my coupe didn't flutter but then again it had 27 louvers punched in it to relieve any air pressure.

7. nexxussian

nexxussian

Yeah, I have thought about louvers, but I am keeping it (the body) as stock appearing as I can.

I appreciate the response though, thank you.