Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Visited an elderly rodder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KingArthursKnight, May 11, 2023.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have talked many times on the phone… I’ve found him to be a wealth of information. One thing for me is his parts have always been race ready and are still in use today along with some in my stash.
    KAK’s having his dads car and it’s tie into Buffalo in the past is what makes the HAMB and our “love of all things mechanical” so special to all of us…

2. KingArthursKnight

KingArthursKnight

There were a couple of reasons for my trip to the swap meet at Evergreen Speedway Fairgrounds. One, it is a great vintage parts venue, and it did not disappoint. When I arrived early at the fairgrounds the parking was already over half full. Entering the grounds there were more vendors and crowd than I can remember from past events.
    I walked for hours past piles of vintage parts, new parts, books, magazines and memorabilia. Some stuff pretty cool. Other things should have remained in their garage.
    The weather was perfect about 80 degrees. The smell of Kettle Korn and hotdogs in the air. About noon the raceway fired up and the sounds of the different classes of racecars doing their hot laps vibrating off the walls of the Grandstands. A perfect way to spend a Saturday.
    I made my way thru the stalls and came upon my destination. My second reason for coming to the swap meet. Buffalo was here at his vendor location. On my earlier visit to his shop he was busy at work machining transmission adaptors. We discussed different combinations and he agreed he would make one and bring it to the meet.
    As I walked up to say hello something was different. "Geez I hardly recognize you, your beard is trimmed and you got on your Sunday best. What do you got a date? I asked. "You gotta get cleaned up sometime and I hear Candy Clark (American Graffiti fame) might be available" he replied. Okay, yeah sure I thought. We talked for a while and time was beginning to run short. "Did you bring the trans adaptor" I asked reaching for my wallet. "No." He said with a tone dry as a Saltine cracker in the Sahara Desert. "Forgot." Hmmmm, that's kind of puzzling I thought. Now, understand I just recently met my new friend but after talking with him a failing memory is not a problem. Plus, I recall him saying he would put it in his truck so he wouldn't forget. "That's ok" I said "You know this means I'm going to have to drive that old 52 back up to your shop to pick it up." I put my wallet back in my pocket. Buffalo replied, "That doesn't sound like such a bad idea." Hold on a minute, either I was imagining or did he just wink and slightly chuckle under his breath?
    I think (No I know) that wily old man just pulled a fast one, like a hidden nitrous kit, conned me into another visit. Lol. I got up we said our so longs for now and I headed back thru the organized chaos of parts to the exit.
    No problem now I have my excuse for making my next journey north that much sooner.

41 GMC K-18 and alanp561 like this.
  3. KingArthursKnight

KingArthursKnight

Thank you for the nice comment. The "faceless hero" and honor you refer to. Not to take anything away as I fully understand your point, but I reserve Honor and Hero for the people who have served and serve this country.
    I do not know how many members are on the HAMB but I'm pretty sure the most knowledgeable ones (which there are many, I P.M. a few) and the people who have had a big contribution to early hotrodding like nothing more than a Thank you and maybe a little appreciation for their contribution. Could be wrong, but they seem like a humble group.
    As far as "Too bad you didn't sneak a photo of him" Lol. Didn't have to.
    Imagine the TV show Duck Dynasty, take Father Time, Moses, The Wise Old Owl and a butt kicking hotrodding machinist from the 50s and 60s all rolled into one. Can't do that? Ok here's a pic of the man. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

Butler 32 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is indeed, such a kick ass photograph of the face of
    "TRUE EXPERIENCE "
    Thank you
    @KingArthursKnight,
    so much for posting that timeless photograph!

Thanks from Dennis.

KingArthursKnight likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I should have known you had connected with him !

6. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I too understand your point. Certainly not to disparage those who served and those who've paid the ultimate sacrifice. I'm a few years older than 60 and never served. I am, however, to be a Chauffeur this coming Monday, the 29th, as I drive with a Veteran in the passenger seat of my Corvette in the Memorial Day Parade in a neighboring town. There will be a number of Americas Sports Car doing the same. By the way, the image of Buffalo is exactly how I would expect him to look!

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

get a voice recorder so you dont miss any of his story

Last edited: May 21, 2023
  8. KingArthursKnight

KingArthursKnight

Thank you 52 HT. The photo I thought was perfect.
    Look up buttkicking hotrodder machinist from 60 years ago in Webster's Dictionary. You find this picture.
    I thought never meeting the guy you might like to see it. Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like a great Memorial Day parade.
    Thank you.

jimmy six and 41 GMC K-18 like this.