Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vinyl VS Canvas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, May 10, 2021.

1. I'm curious; are there downsides to a canvas convertible top? I know it was used on the early cars, but vinyl came into widespread use in the '50s going forward with canvas (or 'cloth') tops reserved for higher-end cars it seems. It appears there's more color choices with canvas and I know they cost more, but how about wear and cleaning?

Anybody recommend a good vendor?

2. I have never owned a rag top with a vinyl top. Convertible top material is a little pricey but that is the way I would go.

Where you live it rains, uh a lot. What you want it modern convertible top material, it is durable and extremely water proof. it also does not show the immediate wear that vinyl top material does when you put it down and back up again.

olscrounger and Special Ed like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have and still do own my share of ragtops. I have never owned a canvas topped on though. I drove my 68 olds to works today with the top up and noticed it is due for a scrubbing. It is white vinyl and been on the car for 23 years. Still looks pretty good. Glass rear window helps.
    I have installed Haartz cloth on several of them including my roadster. Hard to beat the style of a cloth top. I put a black Haartz top on a red vette roadster, wow! Classy!

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Cloth tops look a ton better, wear better , clean better.

When I worked at jag we had a lot of older convertable a come in to get the top dyed as it faded a bit over time and the finicky jag owner could not accept that .

so a 300 buck if I remember right dye job got a 30-40 year old top looking brand spanking new again.!!

just my 0.02 cents but a cloth top is classy and helps a ton in resale value and longevity of the car.

up here in the early 2010’s you could get a cheap convertable mustang with a vinyl top or the “ California special “ with a cloth top. I don’t think I’ve even seen one vinyl top on a newer pony car.

5. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have had quite a few “Stay Fast” (canvas) tops made. In my opinion they look much better than vinyl. As for maintenance I have used “Ragg Topp” products for years and recommend them, they actually are endorsed by the Hartz Cloth brand of material. I recently had a new top installed on a clients non HAMB friendly English sports car that came to me with a vinyl top, the installation of a top made of Stay Fast was a vast improvement.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Any differences in installation? Easier? Harder?

One other thing, does somebody make a chrome-framed 'universal' glass rear window? I know it'll end up being smaller than OEM and placement will be critical, but that's OK as long as it's not too small...

7. While I agree the cloth looks classier most of our stuff cam with vinyl, that’s what mine will get one of these days for the rare time I put the top up, no point having a rag top to drive around with it up

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have a local upholstery guy who does all my interiors and tops, I know he says vinyl only stretches in one direction but I am not sure about Stay Fast. I have seen him partially install a top then use a system of heavy cord to pull the fabric tight before he attaches it permanently to the bows. This extra step makes certain the top is tight and will not stretch over time because he pre stretched it during installation.
    I have seen aftermarket rear window frames from some of the Hot Rod vendors but I cannot remember who. One of them offered a rectangular window frame that had a tilt out feature to allow air exit the interior.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done both and i'd say the cloth is easier on my hands. I think Speedway sells a rear window frame. I made mine zip out on the roadster.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've had quite a few 32 roadster tops made over the years and I always specify Mercedes top material. Costs a little more but looks really good. Check with Sid Chavers for rear windows. Incidently my 2014 Corvette has a black cloth top

da34guy, 1934coupe and VANDENPLAS like this.