Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintique electric wiper conversion for F1 any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, Feb 26, 2014.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Has anyone used the Vintique electric wiper conversion? My 51 F1 has vacuum wipers with dual arms and I want to go electric. The Vintique kit is about $60 cheaper than the newport kit, has anyone installed it? Was it a bolt on and did is work ok? I am not sure what the difference is between the different manufacturers.

2. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I used the kit on mine and it installed extremely easily and without modification.

3. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I did install very easy but isn't the most durable unit.........

I used one for a few weeks then sold it and went back to vacuum. It wouldn't hold up to Ice and snow like the original. Any resistance other than just rain and it would "slip" and I would have to tear it all back out.... lock tight and re tighten and it would work itself loose again after a few weeks.

You can send your vac wiper out to ficken to have him rebuild it like new. http://www.wiperman.com/

If your truck is a nick-nack and you never drive it in adverse weather you will be fine with the electric conversion.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  4. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Mine will be a driver but certainly not driven in snow, 2wd trucks are useless in a NY winter. Rain is all it will have to deal with, it will hibernate from November to March.

Any mods needed to use the kit? I want to keep my stock defroster ducts but not the stock radio.

5. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

It was pretty much bolt in for me.

6. fordor41

fordor41

I installed a Vintique wiper motor in my '41 ford. Installation wasn't bad but the arms parked up. Called Vintique and was instructed to send it back. I tried it again before removal and the wipers quit all together. Returned and they repaired(broken "park" switch) and returned but the arms parked in the up position. They told me how to remedy the situation. It worked but the arms always swept in different arcs on the windshield. I talked to their tech in Knoxville and I quess I'm the only one that ever had these problems! After a couple years of listening to them squeak and vibrate I went back to vacuum wipers with a small vacuum pump

7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Looks like Speedway sells either the same or a similar kit for $125, so I think I will give theirs a try. At least with them I have a shot at returning it if it is junk as opposed to some ebay sellers.