Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. If that car once had a V-8, it wasn't a V8-60. It's a sprint car which would have had the bigger 85hp V8.

Carter and loudbang like this.
  2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

SANTA MARIA RACEWAY IN CA ANNOUNCED THEIR PERMANENT CLOSING AS OF TODAY DUE TO BEING UNABLE TO CONTINUE TO AFFORD THE LEGAL EXPENSES REQUIRED TO STAY IN OPERATION. RIP TO ANOTHER RACING VENUE!!! Western Racing Association(vintage open wheel vehicles) has participated in many programs at this track for many years.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    Speedwrench and loudbang like this.
  3. Well that's a damn shame. I ran my midget there many times with WRA. Perfect size and shape dirt oval. It will be missed. :(

tractorguy, Speedwrench and loudbang like this.
  4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Jets are actually sized for the max fuel requirements at WOT, which are even richer than the numbers 28dreyer quoted, which are the ratios for a stoichiometric mixture. WOT mixtures need to be even richer than that. For example, on gasoline if the stoich ratio is 14.7:1 the leanest fuel for best torque (LBT) will be around 11.5 - 12.5:1 or so, depending on factors such as manifolding and fuel delivery design.
    Here's a couple of handy charts that you can use to get a relative idea of the amount of different fuels required, and the heating value of each.

fuel01.jpg fuel02.jpg

Speedwrench and loudbang like this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

BTW, check out the stoich values for nitro!
    1.7:1
    And in a T/F motor the mixture could get as rich as 1.1:1 to prevent a meltdown. Reminds me of the comment a fellow drag racer said to me, "Sonny, if you see the flames disappear from the headers during a run the engine is going lean. DUCK!"

Just to be clear, I did not author the paper which shows the racing fuel data.

loudbang likes this.
  6. joemac05

joemac05

I love this, any chance of getting a higher resolution scan... Please. My old eyes are having a bit of a problem.

[​IMG]

7. White Monster

White Monster

I came across this picture in a "girls posing with cars" thread somewhere and really liked the car pictured. I got lost in the 845-pages of Sprint Cars, so decided to just post the pic and see if anyone has any information on it.
    Thanks all ...

image_75900.jpg

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  9. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

loudbang and The37Kid like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang