Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racer5c

racer5c

Bob Harkey

Attached Files:

2. racer5c

racer5c

more

Attached Files:

3. racer5c

racer5c

Jimmy Bryan's entire Indy operation and full time crew

Attached Files:

4. Man that brings back memories.

When I was a kid I would hang around outside the Speedway gates in May to watch the cars come in on open trailers.

5. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

Just a bit newer than 74

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1AZrV15job4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1AZrV15job4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

WOW!:eek: Hell yeah! Bring on the video clips!

7. salt sprint.jpg

This is an old sprint that has found a new life as a Bonneville Racer.
    They have a class for Vintage Open Wheel Cars.

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Getting a lil' off topic, but it seems like most the guys keeping this thread going are hard core Sprint and midget fans... So...

Here are some "Early" mug shots.. They always make me smile/laugh:D

Most "Racecar Fans" (nascar) have no Idea how many "Pro's" came from sprinters.

"The King"

[​IMG]

"The Prick"

[​IMG]

"The Kid" ("Who's mom drove him")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dew it..

[​IMG]

Doug wore these glasses till a HARD FLIP in a sprinter knocked his eyes straight!! Explain that one..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another one of my heros growing up.. My dads a BIG FAN of his.
    Nice hat Danny boy!

[​IMG]

One of the greats.. read his book. Real good!

[​IMG]

Doty's book will give you BIG respect for this kid!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lil' Al.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any one guess who this is... Hint,, He would grow up to become the first guy to win ALL THREE USAC DIVISIONS in the SAME YEAR!!:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this Guy.. Ha ha. He's from Cincy. and was always nice to me.
    STABINSKI
    [​IMG]

A few of these are after 69.. But oh well.

Joshua Shaw.

indybigjohn likes this.
  9. Jungle.jpg

Is that better? :)

10. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I just recieved my copy of MAn with a Wrench , Full Circle, and Eliminator. A film from 1970 that has some great video of early Drag's from Indy and Some killer footage of Sprint's from 67 or 68 . Its a hell of a dvd worth the $25 from carfilms.com

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ol' peachfuzz hisself :D

Attached Files:

12. vic & mom_WEB.jpg

Roy Hamiltons Family with his mid west dirt car
    This pic has been hid away for years

13. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

Early 70's Tri State Speedway, Haubstadt In. I'm not definite, but may be Sheldon Kinser? Maybe someone can tell me for sure!

Attached Files:

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

15. racer5c

racer5c

yep Sheldon no doubt

16. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

yes! Marie Hulman owned the team, along with Roger Wolcott (the "W" in HOW) The "O" was used so they could pronounce it as a word. You are also correct that it was nicknamed "hell on wheels"

The HOW team HQ, located at the SE corner of the IMS grounds, is now used as the restoration shop for the IMS museum cars. Even though the HOW team was disbanded by the middle 60s, the HOW mailbox stood by 16th street until just a few years ago.

17. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

[​IMG]

My favorite driver.

My daughter is named after him.. Blaney Marie Turner

Dave didn't quite no what to say when I ntroduced her to him. Great guy, now if we could just get him out of the taxis and back on the high banks at Eldora!

18. racer5c

racer5c

a few more

Attached Files:

19. racer5c

racer5c

I am pretty sure this is the first race car I ever sat in, I know it's the youngest picture of me I have in one

Attached Files:

20. Looks like Roy got "stand'in on it" figured out early :)

21. Gary Bettenhausen in the Thermo-King Champ Car at the Indy Fairgrounds. I recently added the GMP diecast to my modest collection.

Attached Files:

22. Mast-Baker.jpg

How about those Royal Lancers on the Trailer

23. Any details on the No. 1 car? I have a pair of wheels that kind of match the rears (except mine are 18x9.5!) - been looking for pics of them being run forever! Really want to get a history on them as I've never seen another pair like them.

Steve

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  24. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

In Sedalia we have Mo State Fair grounds and its one of the last 1 mile tracks there is left in th mid west back in the 60's and 70 a ton of big namers ran out here Bobby Allison,AJ Foyt,Benny Parson just to name a few....

Seeing the picture of Doug Wolfgang brought some memorys back to me from when i was little im 20 so it wasnt too long ago but i met him at the track one night it was one of the times he came out of semi retirement to run again..i had this old shirt of his that has a wolf howling at the moon on it from like 1967 or some thing he couldnt belive that i had it, it was my dads when he was a kid and i found it and kept it cause i knew who he was i was prolly 6 or 7
    id love to get in a sprint car just one time but id prolly never get out of it...

[​IMG]

25. butch27

butch27

Did You know that after one of Wofgangs wreck he didn't need glasses anymore? Weird

26. [/attach]

Attached Files:

27. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

yeah i knw that thats totaly crazy....he about burnt up at I-70 in a really bad wreck they didnt get to him fast enough there was a bigo law suit about it...

28. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Car was built in California, around 1960, by Jud Phillips. Car came to the Midwest to race in USAC as the Konstant Hot Spl. owned by Bruce Homeyer.
    Car won several car owner champions and driver championships. It was run as the Rupp Mfg. Spl, the H&H Tool Spl.(in the picture) and was, even, owned and driven at one time by Salt Walther. Drivers included Roger McCluskey, Mickey Rupp and Walther. It was one of the first four bar, space frame cars in the midwest. The car currently belongs to Mutt Anderson of Xenia Ohio and is restored to the H&H Machine Tool paint job. It is one of the best and most famous cars to ever run in USAC.
    The wheels are a standard Halibrand magnesium, center lock, racing wheel. Probably, 10 or 12 inches wide in those days. The wheels in the picture appear to have an integral pressure plate. They are, now, getting hard to find but there were plenty of them back "in the day".

29. racer5c

racer5c

not quite the whole story.