Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racer5c

racer5c

How Bout some TQ's?
    The Indy Winner on the far right in the first pic should be easy for you to figure out, but Standing next to him is Shim Malone, his son is (my cousin) Critter Malone

Attached Files:

2. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Who is driving in the number 8 roadster? I've seen that car somewhere before, can't place it....

3. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Nice - Why does it have roll bar?

4. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Nice but the same WHY

5. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

6. Danley also has some "wire wheel sprints"

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If you are refering to the top middle pic of Roys post #1178, it appears to be a Novi with wires, which leads me to believe it may be Duke Nalon (?)

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Cool Thank's I've seen a pic of that car on another open wheel site, I will have to retrace my step's and see if i can find it....

9. :)

10. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

That pretty much sum's it up

11. racer5c

racer5c

Old Dawg have you lived in San Luis Obispo very long? Thats where my boyhood idol Gene Romero 1970 AMA national Flat Track Champion was from

12. racer5c

racer5c

I know this pic is off topic, but since he did drive my dad's midget, and also Howard Linnes it isn't that far off topic

Attached Files:

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

any of you guys here about the NEMA driver killed last weekend?? Shane Hammond went over a cars right rear on the end of the backstretch and cleared the wall at Thompson International Speedway sunday afternoon. His car collided with a billboard where it took safety crews 12 minutes to extricate him. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
    I knew Shane but not very well. From what I did know he was a hell of a nice guy. He had been racing midgets on and off for about 5 years. We know you'll be looking out for the rest of us speed demons from up above Shane. R.I.P.

14. nonwingfan33

nonwingfan33

Man am I glad I came across this forum. I have wasted hours of time at work on here. I decided I better join and share a bit.

I had the great fortune of going through Don Smiths collection of cars a couple of months ago. What made it even better was listening to stories told by Don Smith, Buzzie Dobbins and The Bopper while I was there. His collection is un-real. Sorry the camera man sucked (me). Enjoy,
    Brian

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/bdmelchi/Don Smith Collection/?start=all

15. I've been in SLO for about fifty years. I knew the Romero family; I didn't know Gene. I don't know if many guys are aware that San Luis Obispo, in the twenties, had one of the fastest dirt tracks in the nation. All the name drivers of the time drove there. The track closed in the twenties, though, due to financial problems. Remnants of the track were visable into the seventies. There also was a motorcycle hillclimb track, near highway 101, on the south side of town. Lots of gearheads came into the area, the late Quinn Epperly lived over the hill in Atascadero, Mal Ord lived in Los Osos, and Doane Spencer cashed in his chips in Cayucos. One old friend (he's in his nineties), was born here, still cranks out equipment for "bangers" (mostly T's). I could fill these pages with the number of good wrenchs in the area.
    Dawg:)

16. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Roy, 'Anytime you want to post pics of Burrito, go right ahead. They certainly aren't "OT" at all. Your brother was a great friend to him. I would love to hear some of the stories of him and Jimmy rooming together back in the early seventies. I saw Gene win the final motorcycle race at the old California State Fairgrounds in Sacramento in his championship year of 1970. The race was a 50 lapper! on the 1-mile dirt track. I'm not sure that AMA ever again ran a non-stop 50 lapper on a mile track? Quite a bit of the race that day provided a lot of footage for the original movie, 'On Any Sunday.' I always thought that was cool that the 1970 USAC National Midget Champion was good buddies with the 1970 AMA Grand National Motorcycle Champion.

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

You were there with a LONG time friend of mine.. Joey Kerr. Joe and I grew up together from the age 11. We raced many hard laps together..

Joshua Shaw

18. racer5c

racer5c

Josh, I think I will be going to Don Smiths place in June, might have room for one more person if your interested. Will be a week day. Let me know.

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

yep, give me a call.

20. nonwingfan33

nonwingfan33

Yep, Joey and his father were there. The Stapp clan minus Andy, Buzzie and his wife and my family. I cannot wait to go back there, I could spend days and days looking at everything he has. If anyone gets a chance to go, it is a must. Call in sick or what ever you have to do to go.
    Brian

21. rooman

rooman

Josh,
    I had lunch today with Watson, Dick Cecil and co. I guess that it is a regular Saturday thing at the Steak and Shake in Avon. Awesome group to just hang out with and listen to. Learned about cammer Fords on nitro for qualifying and other cool stuff.

Roo

22. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Watson is at the Mcdonalds in Speedway a few times a week it seems. I see his cruiser there every time I go by. Really cool to see these guys out enjoying themselves.

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thats excellent.. Listen to them old timers as much as you can. It won't last forever.

JD

24. Man aint this the truth. I'm very fortunate to get to spend a couple weeks a year with my good friend and mentor Kenny Riffel. We take trips to the Colo. rockies two or three times a year for sno-mobiling. Between the eight hour drive each way and the time in the lodge we have a lot of race talk from back-in the day. He can call a race from 40 years back like it was yesterday,sometimes I can smell the smoke of A Big Jelony, and his flatt-head knowledge is second to none. Kenny owned and built the 55 car that Frankie Lies drove. I view this time as priceless>>>>.

25. racer5c

racer5c

Mondays at MCL in Speedway, Friday at Mcgilvery's on High School, they have a different place for every day of the week I usually only go monday or Friday

26. Watson used to be fond of these things too. We wolfed down a few after one of the HoosierDome midget shows about 20 years ago. :)

Attached Files:

27. Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

[​IMG] Check out the guy on the phone pole.this is Nashville speedway 1963

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

A little off topic, but I thought a few of you would get a kick outta this.

Check out the Indoor CLAY oval my buddy Carl Crusie built for racing RC cars.. Carl raced karts with us growing up and ran Mods for a while. He was the Crew chief on Joey Kerrs USAC car for a few years. These guys run two Late model classes, an East Coast Modified class, and NON-WING SPRINTERS!!

Both, Electric and Gas.. There FAST!!! They slide going in, but hook hard coming out. It was pretty funny. Lots of wheel banging.

enjoy..

[​IMG]

Check out the Burn out marks they leave..
    [​IMG]

Steel frame.. VERY strong..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its hard to see, but this car is carrying the left front! Most of them did..

[​IMG]

These are the modifieds..

[​IMG]

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Painted my sign for the front of my shop.. This Thing is gonna be VERY HIGH and FASTENED TO THE BUILDING WELL!! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JD

30. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Sweet.. i only wish i could do half that good.. Hell I cant even draw stick people and make em look good ..:D
    Dave