Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Al'svintageracing

Al'svintageracing

Does anyone have information or photos of the #44 Kennedy Heating Special sprint car after 1965? In 1965, it was owned by Gene and Mary Frisbie from Elmira, NY and driven by Bryant Ingalls and Jackie Soper mostly in URC. It was painted medium blue. I spoke with Bryant and Jackie as well as a relative of Gene and Mary Frisbie. I have obtained a lot of information through 1965, but none after that. There is some speculation that the car was raced at Port Royal and Shangri-La, possibly with a cage, maybe in 1965, 66 or 67? It may still have been owned by the Frisbie's at that time, as I understand they were involved with modifieds. Does anyone have contacts who may have photos from the mid 1960's from those tracks? Also, anyone from the Elmira, NY area who may have known the Frisbie's or would have information on this car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Calla photo of Bryant Ingalls in the #44 Kennedy Heating Special at Harrington, DE, July 31, 1965.

Attached Files:

2. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Racer5c called last night and was pretty excited. He is getting to drive a midget and a sprint car today a the vintage meet at IRP. I wish I was there to see it but I am stuck here at work.

My prediction is he will be wearing his helmet for a long time, because the grin will most likely inlarge his head and the helmet will be stuck.

Good going Roy, I hope someone has some pictures to post. The rest of you guys have fun at Josh's and even more fun at the Burg. Be safe!

3. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I grew up in Elmira and raced at Chemung in the mid-60s. I knew Gil Frisbie but not any others. The only sprint cars I knew of were the two owned by the Osgood brothers. Bryon drove his own and Harry Bengamin drove Vern's. Here is Vern's car:
    [​IMG]

In the late 60s Bob Shaw from Dundee owned and drove this CAE:
    [​IMG]

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I envy Roy and the rest of those guys who are at IRP this morning. When I get my new powerchair and get the van with the lift working right, maybe I can make more of these events.

5. Old Bill, I know you're going to say its a military secret, but where & how did you get those Oswego Sprint Car results from '66 ???? I'll understand, mlight9.

6. Spike, I noticed in past posts that you knew of a Soubirou who owned a dirt champ car & which I think there were pix of it after a very bad crash.
    Anyway, I just saw pix of a Soubirou champ car fully restored on a site called Gary Bridge & Iron, gbi.com/speedway54/. If that doesn't work, go to Miller/Milwaukee site, they show a link. Info says Ron Ward 1968,
    1st owner Bill Smith/Spdwy Mtrs. Just wondered if its the same car. mlight9.

7. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

mlight9-
    Yes, it sure is the same car. Thanks for steering it to me.
    Here is a link for anybody interested

http://www.gbi1.com/speedway54/

8. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

mlight9: Gathered those from many places; ISN, NSSN, The Charger, Mid America Racing News, old programs, USAC newsletter etc. Many I was at, but not at that show. Don't really remember the source of Oswego results.

9. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'mlight9, 'I'm right there with you. When OldBill posted those results from that USAC National Sprint Car race from Oswego, N.Y. in 1966, my jaw dropped! Look at what it told us: Mario Andretti did in fact win the trophy dash and then went out and won the 100 lap feature. And Don Branson, in his final year of racing, had set fast time in an Offy powered sprinter against all those 305cid Chevies. And thanks to Rootie for initially posting that great photo........'And to Wynns#1, my degree isn't in structual engineering but, I'd really like to know what people with the credibility to comment on ('like a macmiller, etc.) think of Wally welding the roll bar directly on top of the hoop for the seat??? And BTW, the way your replica car is shaping up is beyond beautiful!

10. racer5c

racer5c

Man what a day!!! I worked all night Friday got home and got maybe an hrs sleep at the most, got up and went to IRP I got to drive Dave Weir's BEAUTIFUL Kurtis V8-60 Midget, Dave Thomas had his Edmunds Modified/Sprint Car but had a problem with it we didn't get to run it. I got to run Dave's Midget 2 times! then I was sitting on the wall by A.J. Watsons 1949 Indy Car, actually it's a replica of the first car he ever had at Indy, and he asked me if I wanted to drive it. I only got to run a few laps in it but it was GREAT!!! Then hauled ass to Cincinnati and picked up my Triumph Street Tracker that Josh Shaw painted the gas tank on, hauled ass back home and went RC car racing with my wonderful wife and my pal Andy Hurtubise. I'm BEAT but man what a great day!!! Here is a link to some pictures from the Vintage Meet at IRP today!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/racer5c/

11. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Roy, 'Can't thank you enough for the details of an incredible day you had. And thank you for wearing an open face helmet while driving Dave's midget. Even though I'm partial to the Don Edmunds' nose and grill on his midgets, I love that old unique nose that Dave's car has. It seemed to be more of an eastern and midwest look than anything else. I've never been privy to your flickr site until now but, thanks for the link to that. There are a lot of priceless pics on that site. 'Gotta ask you: 'On one of your pics on flickr, is that you and the 1970 AMA Grand National Motorcycle Champion together? And thanks for adding a caption to a lot of the photos because otherwise, we'd never recognize the Golden Greek and the 1969 and 1971 USAC National Sprint Car Champion Car Owner.

Attached Files:

12. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Great pics Racer5c

13. racer5c

racer5c

Little Fauss, it sure is, i'm sure you know he and Jimmy were best friends. "Burrito" was my hero when I was a kid. He kept his bikes at our shop in Anaheim for a couple years after he rode for the Yamaha factory and was doing his own thing and worked out of our garage in Indy too. There were times in the mid 70's when I would tag along with him to the flat track races and it would be just me and him. when I look back on my childhood I wonder how I could have been so lucky to be around the people I have grown up around. sorry Josh but I am posting a pic of Jimmy's Triumph that I am now the proud care taker of, will take some pictures of it today to show of the paint work Josh did for me.

Attached Files:

14. racer5c

racer5c

Little Fauss, also sorry about the full face helmet in Watson's car but I used Dave's Helmet and uniform top jacket in his midget and my own old helemt and uniform when I got in Watson's car.

15. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Fauss,
    Early to mid 60s roll bars "were what they were". Kind of an add on item however was the easiest way to do it. Most of the grumpy old builder/mechanics "of the day", like Meskowski and Leffler, didn't like roll bars anyway. At least, Wally had a couple of token braces attached between the roll bar and the rear bumper. Many of the roll bars back then were either welded or plugged into gusseted flat brackets on the side of top main frame tube.
    Obviously the best way was to weld the roll bar to a main frame tube or main frame cross tube with proper rearward braces.
    Even scarier was some of the first retrofit bolt on cages in the late 60s.

BTW, Fauss, Wynn's#1 car is not a replica... it is the real car!

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I think the roll bars back then were just a means to satisfy the rule book and probably not expected to do a whole lot. The attempts at triangulation of the braces are laughable and I doubt building a crash worthy roll bar was very high on the builders priority list.

Attached Files:

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the pics, Roy. Really nice to see Johnny, A.J., and Willie all together and enjoying themselves.

18. wynns #1

wynns #1

Thanks Mac for your reply. If anyone has any doubts or questions about the history of the car, I have documentation from when Doug Land bought the car on nov27, 1966 from Wally thru the next 11 owners to me. Thanks for the interest

19. wynns #1

wynns #1

Sorry guys I mispelled Doug Lang

20. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Quick Thanks to Josh and Wade for a great open house. Lots of great cars real good turn out.

NEIL

21. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Does anybody have some pictures, so I can see what I missed.:(

22. rooman

rooman

Al, not sure how to post a link to my thread on Saturday's happenings but here it is, less a couple of pix from the track at Lawrenceburg.
    <table id="post3831557" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_3831557" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(229, 229, 229);"> My cool Saturday
    <hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Yesterday I took the day off from my shop and had a "gearhead" day. The morning started with a trip to Indianapolis Raceway Park (I refuse to call it O'Reilly Raceway Park at Indianapolis) for a couple of hours of hot laps with the vintage circle track guys. Then it was on to Mamitown, Ohio for the open house at Josh Shaw/ Wade Hughes' shops. Mid afternoon saw a group of us (maily Hambers) head over to Lawrenceburg, IN where we made some laps at a go-kart facility before going next door to the high banked dirt oval for the USAC sprint car show. I took pictures at all but the kart track where I was too busy getting smoked by Corngrower32 and Richcraft Mike.

Roo

AJ Watson, Johnny Capels and Roy (Racer 5C) Carruthers.
    [​IMG]

Watson warming up his clone of his first Indy 500 car.
    [​IMG]

The Watson GranCor car on the track
    [​IMG]

Capels' injected flat head powered duece.
    [​IMG]

A couple of Mac Miller's re-pops of Parnelli Jones driven cars, the Fike Plumbing sprinter and the Agajanian #98 roadster
    [​IMG]

The Dick Cecil built flathead powered two seat Indy car--based on the Miller built front drive cars of the mid 30's.
    [​IMG]

Richcraft Mike's latest 32 roadster
    [​IMG]

Racer 5C's Triumph--just painted by Corngrower 32
    [​IMG]

A few shots of the cars at Shaw's (Corngrower 32) shop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the kart track
    [​IMG]

<!-- / message --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(229, 229, 229) rgb(229, 229, 229); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;">
    </td> <td class="alt1" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(229, 229, 229) rgb(229, 229, 229) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" align="right"> <!-- controls --> [​IMG] [​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table>

23. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

OK, maybe I'm sorry I asked, because now I'm jealous. :) Nobody should be allowed to have that much fun in one day!:D

24. Gary24

Gary24
    from Milford CT

finly a great pic of Gary B

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Weather was great, and the cars came from all over for the Open house.

THANKS! to everyone that came down. Sorry if I didn't get to hang out and talk much, I had a lot going on.. then a few guys showed up with an "assignment" for me and REALLY screwed up my "hangin out time" but it was all good!

Saturday was great.. But lets talk about my Sunday (today)...

Talk about a once in a life time deal.. Zakira Jim called me and asked if I wanted to give him a hand at the shop today. Turns out Jim had bought a HUGE batch of MILLER parts and needed a hand going through all of the plastic bins and boxes and tagging it all and figuring out what was there and what all he got. :eek:

Once again.. I was in my truck before the phone hit the ground.

Here are some pics of the score..

----------------------------------------------------------------

Offy pistons..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hartford Shocks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original MILLER mechanical brakes, front and rear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first Miller 122 Blower..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original 122 MILLER steering box!

[​IMG]

CARBS!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hows that for a "domed Piston"!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was HARRY MILLER's OWN Valve grinding tool kit..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how you set the valves in a MILLER. You actually FILE off the top on the Valve.. and this is the tool Harry Miller used..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original MILLER style furel shut off valves!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

You gotta be kidding me...it's a museum of parts.

You lucky bastard!!

29. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Josh.....I hate you :D tryed to make just not enough time, had my Munsters lunch box all packed.........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

30. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Its hard to believe you found so much treasures all at the same time.
    Is the steering also built by MILLER?
    sPIKE