Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

JMHO-A brief heads-up and a link to a classified section ad is o.k. by me.

FWIW- if using "quote" in a reply to a post with large pictures; left click so little squares appear around the pics, then hit delete and only the text of the original post will remain.

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Rootie, I'd live to see an enlargement of your avatar.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

You bet, the story behind it is this: At the 1960 USGP Riverside, it seems the pit/garage area was still pretty crude so the F1 teams rented/borrowed space at nearby car dealerships/garages. The CHP gave them permission to drive their cars back and forth on the highway to the track. Judging by the hat, I believe this is Maurice Trintignant in his Cooper (I think) on his way to or from the track.

Attached Files:

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

It's kinda a "Grey Area"... The HAMB has a "Classifieds" area, but all the Vintage Sprint car guys are here, and if Others on the HAMB have any open wheel stuff to sell, it makes since to try it here first.

It's actually up to Ryan, the "Head Cordinator"

If it's cool with him, we can try it for a while.

I know that it is NOT OKAY to post on here a link to any of your own Ebay auctions. Or for that matter, Your buddy's. Now, that being said, plenty of us have given each other a "heads up" when any good Open wheel stuff shows up on Ebay, so...

I think it would be okay.

I'll ask Ryan, or.. if your watching Ryan, (which he usually is) let us know

-------------------------------------------

Now, Back to the Don Smith Collection.

Here is just a taste.

There have been pics posted on here before, but might as well look at some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one for you Roy!

[​IMG]

JD

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  5. rustyrail

rustyrail

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

-------------------------------------------

Now, Back to the Don Smith Collection.

Here is just a taste.

There have been pics posted on here before, but might as well look at some more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rose Trucking car with L. Ruby up at Trenton, dicing with A.J. 1962 and J.R. on dirt at Sacto/DuQuoin 63/64.

Attached Files:

7. cg5

cg5

E-mail address for Paul Martens is [email protected][/EMAIL]. He has the jigs for the original spoke WeldWheel.

Curt Grogan

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Rootie... Yep, That car intriged me... I thought it was "incorrect" at first cause of componets..

Injected small block, torsion front, but old Skinny 18" double diamonds..

Then I got home and found this picture..

Very cool car.

Attached Files:

• sp10.jpg
      sp10.jpg
      File size:
      134.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

See the round hole in the tail that has been blocked off by a riveted panel..

I've seen that before on champ cars. What is it for.. Halfway down the tank?

[​IMG]

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Herb Porter and Rocky Phillips built and campaigned the car through 64. Porter called it the "Red Rooster" and after it was sold in 64 it went through a lot of owners/changes over the yrs. Jim Robbins restored it for Smith back in the 80s.

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

A good friend of mine handed me a CD at a recent indoor show and said, "There is a lot of old open wheel cars on here" well try 1200!! Many I have never seen.

I'll never be able to post them all, but.. I just keep posting batches when I get time.

Thanks.

Here is the first batch.

Attached Files:

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't hold me to this, but I think it had something to do with the fueling. If you look at the Foyt roadster I just posted, you will see something similar. Also, watching some of the vids from the 50s-60s that I posted at the top of the previous page, I noticed that some refueling was done in that area, oddly enough. Pressurized?

13. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That was my guess.. But why in the side? Seems wierd.

unless, as they forced fule in the side, they opened the top cap as a "vent"

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Another batch:

Unfortunatly some of them are kinda small. But, it's better than nothing.

JD

Attached Files:

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mac Miller will know or sure :)
    BTW- here's some lsr insperation for you:
    Tommy Milton, Muroc 1924.

Attached Files:

16. racer5c

racer5c

Gehardts in Fresno Ca.

17. KKx125

KKx125

I've enjoyed looking at the photos, and keep em' coming! I did think that maybe we should start a Midget thread to keep things organized, which I have started here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337192

I've started with one I restored, so let's see what you've got.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  18. Ebert

Ebert

Where is the Don Smith Collection located? WOW!

19. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

That was exactly what they did. Most dirt cars didn't have them but the "Red Rooster" did quite a bit of racing on pavement so the side "Buckeye" was apparently used at some point. As mentioned earlier this type of refueling was fairly common on roadsters for awhile. Pressurized refueling went on at Indy from the late 1920s until it was banned starting in 1965. There was a lot of fuel splashed around with the standard dual caps (one was just to look down into to see when the tank was full and to vent) plus the fueler had to lean over next to a hot exhaust pipe. Plus with the side filler you had almost no fuel leakage when you hooked up or disconnected the filler. Even if some did leak out it just fell on the ground instead of getting dribbled on the exhaust like it sometimes did on the top fillers. There didn't seem to be any real speed advantage with either method and most teams seemed to stay with the dual cap top fillers.

20. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Yes they used pressurized fueling in the early 60's. Some had the aircraft Shultz fueling valve, like in the picture of Foyt in the hopkins roadster. Yes they opened the top Fueling cap, the fueler looking in to see when to stop. It was a good idea, but became a failure point if it didn't disengage. Most went back to the nozzle into the top of the tank.

On the JH Rose car, that may have been used for insertion of the fuel cells once they became mandatory. The fuel cells of the first generation were more like a sponge, used to stop sloshing and large leaks. I don't know this for certain, but the car originally didn't have that round "inspection" panel.

21. Spike, the Ankenny car was the ex Malloy/Ruttman & D. Carter/Miracle Power.

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

With this talk of fueling/fuelcells, I was reminded that I came across this while back and found it kinda interesting, from 1949:

Attached Files:

23. Buildy

Buildy

"Where is the Don Smith Collection located? WOW!"

I believe it is in Terre Haute Ind.

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe Smith owns the First Ntl. Bank in T.H. and has sponsored race cars forever. Proving there's still at least one banker left, out there, that isn't a complete idiot.:D

25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Rootie, thanks. That's priceless. And, it looks like a Cooper.

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Don Smith is, indeed, president of the Terre Haute First National Bank, and has always been a stalwart race fan. He was one of the partners in the Sumar team, I believe.

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

IIRC (and I could be waaay wrong) the name Sumar is a combination of Susan (?) and Mary (?) one of which is his wife.

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

You are correct.

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Any body got any info or pics of JACK CRAWFORD's late 60's, early 70's Edmonds sprint car, from NY maybe.. Raced in Penn.

I'm looking for a Black car with orange or yellow scallops.

THANKS!!

JD

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wasn't his collection featured on this thread earlier? I remember the murals on all the barn doors, and cars parked wheel to wheel.