Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Spike, I appreciate all the info you have been posting. Any & all history that you have is welcome. However, as old age sometimes fogs things up, & with all the posts on this site, which are wonderful, clarify a couple of things.

I know about Horn's #1, called Baby & its progression from Mrs. Horn & Jug thru its URC days (w/Mario, etc), the blue # 6 you have, the ex-Nyquist/Chitwood/Peters car, & the name "Jewel Box"?????

In your post of #3487, you mention cars built by Horn & Shaw. Again, thanx for the info & keep it coming. ml9.

2. I may have caused some confusion the Jewell Box" thing. I had read that Horn named his red and white car that way. You guys were there and I have no problem being wrong as long as I can fix it.

3. racer5c

racer5c

Van Craft, on gasoline Alley Indy he has all the original jigs etc owns the rights to the Kurtis Midgets builds brand new ones

4. Does Van Craft sell bodies in fiberglass or aluminum?

5. Here is the contact info for Van Craft
    Van Craft

50 Gasoline Aly Ste B Indianapolis, Indiana 46222
    Phone: (317) 241-6601 Fax: (317) 214-6609

vancraft1963 HAMB screen name

6. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

ml9-
    The No 1 Horn car was the car which Mario later drove in New York. My car had been built by Horn and Jimmy Shaw for a wealthy man from Florida name of Peters. Ted did run it a few times for Mr. Peters, but Chitwood drove it most often. Warke also drove it, as did Schindler, Holland, and others. There is a photo somewhere in this thread showing Chitwood in it at Milwaukee.
    Hope this helps a little more.

7. Real close

[​IMG]

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  8. Spike, thanks for clearing that up for me. I figured "Jewel Box" meant Horn's car but wasn't sure. Did that J. Shaw ever run a car in URC in the 60's or 70's ? Thanks again, ml9.

9. Graham08

Graham08

Bill,

Do you have any pictures of the Leffler car you can post? Beautiful car, especially with the Gurney engine in it.

10. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Yes, Shaw ran a URC car for a number of years; Buck Buckley was his best driver back then. His son Doug builds cars nowadays, run mostly in URC.

11. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the pic, it has been saved with the rest... I sure hope i don't need any extra computer memory for anything like running my business, or taxes, or family photo's...

12. Ebert

Ebert

I am with you....I love this thing!

13. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

Does anyone know what happened to an old sprint car from Rockville, MD named lil indian? it was an early thirties ford that my Grandpa owned and raced in the 50's.

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well it's a month later, but here are some shots from our indoor hot rod show here in Cincinnati. You guys will recognize a few..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every year at the show, Pinstripers from all over the country come and stripe panels, bowling pins, you name it.. and then they auction it off for the Kidney foundation. I am usually to busy to spend much time stripping at the show, so I do panels weeks before. I cut up one of my bodies and did two "tail section" wall hangers and a nose.. Here is one of the tails. I made this one a tribute to A.J.
    It sold for $850 (All goes to the charity, I just get a tax write-off)

[​IMG]

15. Riley5

Riley5
    from Fresno, CA

I'm curious Josh. What brings the highest bids, your striping or your stripping?

16. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

GREAT PIX Wish we could of been there Thank for sharing

17. I'm curious which it is as well,,,,,
    I've seen both,,,
    don't know which I'd pay more for,,,
    probably the STRIPING,,,,

xoxox
    miss hbh

18. rustyrail

rustyrail

[​IMG]
    Roy Bryant in the Forshee plumbing sprinter. A hard nosed charger on any track.

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

"NO TITS IN THE PITS!" :D (but for you, I'll make an exception)

Ahhhhh... Pit girls.

Hope your doing well, Nice to hear from ya.

20. keep some zip-ties around in case i need to put my hair up,, i'm show up and be a pit girl for sure!!
    looks like you've been keepin outta trouble,,,
    I'm trying to,,
    MISS hootch

21. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well Kirk, I thought these guys would pick up on it, but nothin so far. All a ican tell you is what I know it's NOT! It's not a Franklin, or a Norden and doesn't look like the Halabrands I've seen.

Maybe someone will chime in. ROY? Where ya at..

JD

22. I have a Halibrand Champ Car 8:1 steer gear and it don't look nuthin' like that. I had an Erlbacher in my Beck sprinter....it ain't one of those either.

23. BZSPRINT3

BZSPRINT3

Hi, yes I do have some with the gurney in it at speed and other,but the only problem is that I have to learn how to get the pics posted. I,m not the greatest on the computer.

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looked through a bunch of books, mags and old catalogs and I couldn't come up with anything close either. ???

25. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

It's not a Evans or a Jones or the one from Missiouri. If it was painted OD or Yellow it would look like a Military part of some sort. The Legion SPL looks like a nice build job. I like the 250 Chev L Six w the WEBER carbs.

26. i use these guys
    http://photobucket.com/

Get an account there, it's free. Play with it a while and you'll see how to 'upload' pics. Then go to 'edit', resize your pics to 'large'. Then hit the right clicker on your mouse, you'll see a word that says "copy"-left click that one- come back here for posting- right click-paste. It works for idiots too! I should know, as I am one.

Be damn sure to sort out your pictures into catagories or as they call it "file". After a while you have so many pages of pics, you might be tempted to delete them. I put sprints,midgets, Champ Dirt in a file called "USAC". You get the idea.

If you are like Josh, you might need the entire photobucket website for all of your pictures.

27. I may have posted this before,

1939 Hillegas Offy! Ya babee! From Houston, tex44 brought this one in and knocked our socks off.
    [​IMG]

28. Sprintcar10

Sprintcar10
    from Arizona

On the steering box, this could be a long shot. Austin made a single seat race car back in the 30's or 40's called an Austin7 s/s. They look like a midget, pretty much the same size about 850 cc motor.