Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Actually Mac, you and Josh are 2 great examples of what can be done to get the visual back out there in numbers and still not deplete the originals. It hurts twice as much to lose a historic car these days than it used to. This at the same time showing respect to the builders, drivers, and owners that made us lifelong fans to begin with.

2. Spike- In the 3 posts and replies you have gotten here, I have found a lot of respect for the kind of man I think you are. Guys like you are why we are fans.

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I'm going on record..." I HATE JOSH SHAW".....;) I work 40 hours a week (most week's) for myself, have two great kids who are pretty self sufficiant, a wife who works 60 hours a week, a dog who is house trained, a 2 car garage full of tools and parts, and still cannot find time to even finish one project this year....I guess i need to take up a good speed addiction, anybody know where I can find some meth, lol KUDOS JOSH ( I don't really hate you, my nizzal)

4. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Thought Id share these of my father in law.
    Fireman Al, before fire 1948
    [​IMG]

The Fire that burned his legs and put him in hospital 90 days. He was the arizona 47 48 and 9 champ. Bobby Ball drove the car while Al healed up.
    [​IMG]

If not mistaked that is Bobby Ball to the far left, Fireman AL Jaquith in hi 25 car
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yikes! thats scary. As much as we gripe about the modern cars, I'm sure glad the safety aspect of racing has progressed as far as it has. That 25 car is sweet!

6. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

brian and mac, thanks for the kind remarks! Just proves once again that the best folks are involved in racing!
    I would have raced much longer had i not broke my neck one night in a Sprint Car flip at Selinsgrove, PA. Since then i wheel a power wheel chair, and dont get to many races. Not complaining; if i had it to do again i would still do the same thing, except for the neck.
    I wish it were still possible to run without the cages, but we all know that those days are just memories.
    Sure hope this thread keeps going; the best i have ever seen!

7. Ebert

Ebert

I agree with Brian (and I am sure a ton of others on here) that Spike, you are a "man's man" in our book and we all look up to you! I have driven a shitload of stuff, but never that required the COURAGE that you have. GREAT to hear from you!
    Ebert

8. jimg12

jimg12

Hi ,
    Just got my computer up and running. I am in Florida for the winter[sorry for you guys that are cold, this is my first time]. Glad to be back on line with the nicest people around. Mac, Josh you keep doing what you are doing. If you can not afford a orignal-- make a copy but do not claim it is a orginal[just like you do]. I am lucky, I have an orignal [1986 Gambler, can not afford anything older], and am not done with a late 60's sprinter copy.
    Josh, good luck with your show. My 1/4 midget will be there. And thank's for the great day you showed me, and your Dad- you are great people. Jim longname was great also.
    IndyBig John, did not know you were in a wheel chair, will get with you and bring one of my cars down for you next summer. Had a great time when you were flagging TQ's.
    This is by far the best thread on the internet, everyone learns somthing from someone else.
    Roy, I talked to you a few tears ago[ sure you do not remember], but I had quit driving USAC when you started.
    PK, I will get in touch with you soon.
    everybody keep up the good info,
    Thank's
    Jim Graybeal

9. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Bob...Got any more pics of that Elto motor ??? I havent seen one before. Horizontally opposed with the crank out the bottom ? Cool regardless...

10. racer5c

racer5c

Eltos are really cool, there is one in the basement of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum, Also Jr. Dreyer has one he takes to some of the vintage meets.

11. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Glad you're back online.:)
    PK

12. Sedan Man

Sedan Man

I am looking for someone that builds Vintage Front Axel's, spring type banana shaped out of round tubing, Thanks

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  13. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Me too

"Doc" Parsons

14. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Here is a recent photo of a Trevis that was my dad's first sprint car. Was first raced by Chuck Engstrum. I ran my first race in this car back in '76. Its alive and well in Fla.

[​IMG]

15. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Around what years did the adjustable, the clamp on kind,rear shock mounts come into play? I have a nice set of aluminum ones that take the old rubber bushing type shocks that I was going to use, but I think they look to "new" on my 60's style midget roll bar.

NEIL

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't think they were commonly used in the 60s. FWIW- the first I recall them, was on a 70s Tognotti car, a split tubing deal that clamped around the cage upright.

17. I did this one from 2" DOM with a 96" centerline radius. The end tangents slope at 9 degrees which is also the International kingpin inclination. I no longer have the equipment I used.

Attached Files:

• axle.jpg
      axle.jpg
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
  18. Mitch G

Mitch G

Here's a cool LeRoy Byers photo. Norton, KS 1962 Big Car Racing Association, sprint cars. Bill Nelson in the Red Forshee Chevy #84, leads Gordon Herring in his "new" 270 Offy #54, and Dale Reed in the Pop Goodrich Chevy #67. According to Byers Herring won the feature that weekend.

Attached Files:

19. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

I found these yesterday while looking for info on 46 Fords.
    Don't know who or why.

Attached Files:

20. If someone built a bunch of kits like this, I can't imagine them not selling.

21. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

The big problem is finding the 9 degree International spindles.

22. racer5c

racer5c

Dark number 7 chain drive Elto Outboard built and driven by Carl Forberg 1939,The light colored No. 7 is a McDowell DO powered car shown here at Ord, NE, in 1938. This is the car that Perry Grimm drove at Riverview in 1937 when he was a regular there. Carl never had much luck with it and I think sold it to the Turco brothers of Omaha.

The last photo is of the feature line-up at Riverview on June 20, 1937, with Carl on the pole in his first Elto. Outside on the front row is Sam Hoffman of Sioux city in an Offy. The second row in Pete Neilsen (California and Chicago area) in his own Miller and on the outside Grimm in the McDowell that Carl would buy later. As you can see, there were big crowds to watch the action on the high-baked track. This night didn’t end too well for Carl as a radiator hose broke and he was badly burned. He didn’t drive again until almost the end of the season.
    Carl was Pancho Carters father in law

Attached Files:

23. Down here the Ford spindle is most common. An axle to fit these could be good.

24. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Damn Roy ...You're really up on your history. I forgot Forberg actually drove. Was Perry a relative of Bobby ?

25. racer5c

racer5c

I don't think Bobby and Perry were related BUT Bobby Grim's daughter Suzy was my brothers girlfriend at the time of his death,

Carl drove at Indy in 1951 qualified at 132.890 mph finished 7th wich was also Pancho's finishing postition his rookie year

26. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Roy..I remember Suzy, I saw her at the fairgrounds a few years ago. Seems like she was married to Rocky then, maybe still ? You are pretty impressive with your stats, sounding more like Donald Davidson every day..lol

27. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Yea, Thats what I use here too. The old "Internationals" usually have the brake caliper mounts cut off or won't pass "magnaflux". Brand new "Ford" spindles are very good insurance, as far as I'm concerned........... Remember, a broken spindle is what killed Ted Horn.