Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. PK

PK
    from Ohio

That's a fact Jack... ah, Rootie. Thanks to corngrower32 for the vision to look back. This thread has 155 pages and growing personally I think that says, well 155 pages worth.
    PK

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I remember Bill Holder coming to IRP to take photos of the Wayne McGuire modified for the OW feature. Joe Baird had just finished restoring it, and he asked for permission to bring it up from Shelbyville, Ind. He and I had been friends from our Louisville days. Wayne was there, too, and since I flagged a couple of the 500 lappers he won at Louisville with the car, it was a great reunion. I remember telling Holder that it came off the corners like a funny car.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Another photo from the collection of Dennis Unger. A.J. Watson and the Leader Card Sprinter at Duquoin in 1963. The driver's face is familiar, but CRS is keeping his name from me. I know someone on here will recognize him...

[​IMG]

4. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Looks like Chuck Hulse, to me. WOW! That car looks great, doesn't it??

5. Yeah, no wings.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I remember him running some RMMRA shows at Belleville Ks. back in the 70s. I wonder if "Doc" Parsons might know him?

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Mac. As soon as I read it, I knew you were right. Yes, the car looks great.

8. Is this an old JC Agajanian car from 1970?

[​IMG]

9. Hey guys, while we are talking about the old sprints here, I want to make sure you know that the next chapter of the Winchester Old Timers will be the first weekend of October. October 3rd and 4th. The Saturday night show will be USAC midgets in a points race with USAC sprints doing a non points race. A display of Vintage race cars will be there.
    On Sunday, USAC sprints will take the track in a points race with USAC midgets returning in a non points race. Sunday afternoon the Vintage cars take the track for parade laps.
    The

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thank you PK, and thank you to all the others who have contributed.

--------------

Good discusion on the wings. It's one you'll hear a lot around Openwheel circles. I grew up watching wings, Dad and I were both fans.. Then the track we raced at the most, went to Non-wings (lawrencburg). Everyone grumbled at first.. but as time went on we realized how much taking the wings OFF put the driver and his WELL CONTROLLED right foot back into the car. So, here my dad and I are ten years later and we are DIE HARD NON-WING fans!:D We still make it to at least one wing show a year, usually K.C. just to marvel at the VULGAR SPEED of a winged 410 sprinter on a heavily banked track. (and to remind us why we like non-wing cars:D)

----------------------------

Welcome Augie Ascot and Great Pics !

It's a shame they couldn't find a nice piece of flat ground to build that track on! :D:DHA HA!!

[​IMG]

Man, the part of Ohio I live in.. there is NO flat area's like that. You gotta go north.

------------------------------------

WOW! Great shot Indybigjohn

--------------------

Thanks for the Update HarleyGene, PLEASE!! Feel free to be our "Event cordinator" on here. You seem to be in charge or involved with all the
    good "Chineese Fire Drills":D

JD

12. Word has it he was the son of a promoter from Enid, Ok. Did good locally and went to USAC and then just kind of went on to other things.

It was said he may have driven a #77 yellow supermod when he was here. You gotta admit, Oklahoma, and Texas sent you guys some good racers in the '70s. Howerton, James MacElreath, as you mentioned -Richard Powell. The CART disease finally got us shut out from the Speedway. The last Oklahoma driver I know of was Jimmy Reece. Troy Ruttman was born in Woodward, but he was considered Californian.

13. Now I got a question for you racer5c-

What was the story on the sponsorship from Bill Cosby, I think the movies title was "Man and boy".

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Roy and Brian - found this photo of Richard Powell...

[​IMG]

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If I understand your question correctly, I'd say no, the hood/airbox is later and the cage is (?) Here's the #98 starting 3rd in 1970.

Attached Files:

16. By this time it had become a supermodified in Amarillo. they didn't think twice about chopping hoods. You might be right though, it may not be the same car. I really think I have seen that car somewhere in the USAC posts on the internet.

Still, the car is obviously a non-cage champ car with a cage added on. The tail section is unique only to USAC. Our sprint tail covers rarely got that big unless the car came that way. Even then, until around 1980, sprint tails were a minority.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  17. I have the tape of the Hoosier 100 race from 1970, and the 98 car there is in quite a few shots. Just about the same color too.

18. racer5c

racer5c

Man i had a big ole story written out and somehow lost it I will do it when I wake up today

19. racer5c

racer5c

Damn he sure looked a lot older when I was 11 or 12 lol, I remember he stood on the gas, I think he was back here two summers if I remember right

20. racer5c

racer5c

This is gonna be a long story, When my dad was 14 him and his lifelong best friend John Crean jumped a freight train from Kansas to California, my dad had a gas station for a while in Compton, ended up trading it for some land in Anaheim and had a mobile home manufacturing business there, John Crean worked for him and was his shop foreman. Don Edmunds, Jimmy Bryan and a lot of other racers worked there off and on, they built a little dirt track called the Jelly Bean Bowl there and that is really where the Quarter Midget boom started. Eventually my dad ended up leasing the land that was there to Disneyland. John Crean took over the trailer business and it became Fleetwood Industries. The largests manufacturer of mobile/motor homes in the world. Like I said John Crean and my dad were lifelong best friends, John became VERY wealthy and had a try at producing some movies, One was Called Man and Boy and starred Bill Cosby, that was 1971 the movie sponsored our cars that year, I have a great cassette tape around here somewhere of Bill Cosby and my brothers, it's hilarious.

The rugged but properly G-rated Man and Boy gives Bill Cosby (as producer and star) an impressive showcase in a rare dramatic role. Cosby's just right as a former cowboy and Union Army "blue-belly" who, in 1871, must defend his Arizona homestead against resentful white bigots. When his plow horse is stolen, he sets out to retrieve the animal with his 12-year-old son (played by George Spell, one of the finest child actors of the early '70s), and their desert ordeal places them in the crossfire of a long-standing feud between a crazed thief and a vengeful sheriff. The routine plot plays like a Western rehash of The Bicycle Thief, and veteran TV director E.W. Swackhamer handles the action with a generic absence of style. Cosby and Spell make a terrific father-son team, however, while costars Yaphet Kotto and Henry Silva add another element of threat. Solid family entertainment, especially if you're ready to explain horse studding to your children. --Jeff Shannon

Product Description
    The Civil War is over and the West offers unlimited opportunities for the adventurous. Yet the celebration is short-lived for Caleb Revers (Bill Cosby) a black veteran trying to plant roots under the scorching sun of the Arizona frontier. A kindly neighbor gives Revers a horse to help plow the land and support his wife Ivy (Gloria Foster) and their precocious 12-year-old son Billy (George Spell). But town bigots resent a black man owning a horse and the stallion is stolen so Revers and his son embark on a dangerous mission to get it back. A murderous horse thief an archrival from Revers' past and a crazed sheriff are among many hostile obstacles which force young Billy to grow up fast - and which provide Bill Cosby a rare opportunity to display his powerful dramatic talent in his motion picture film debut.System Requirements:Running Time: 98 Min.Format: DVD MOVIE Genre: WESTERN/MISC. Rating: G UPC: 043396085589 Manufacturer No: 08558

The next year J.C. Crean produced another movie, "Hammersmith is out" had some big name stars in it. That movie sponsored the cars that year.

Director Peter Ustinov

Writer:Stanford Whitmore (writer)

Release Date:12 May 1972 (USA) more
    Genre:Comedy | Drama more
    Tagline:HAMMERSMITH, master criminal and nut, is out. Watch Out !
    Plot:The Faust legend retold (loosely) and applied to a mentally disturbed patient in a hospital run by a doctor of dubious sanity himself... more | add synopsis
    Plot Keywords:Insanity | Insane Asylum | Black Comedy | Escape | Mental Institution more
    Awards:1 win & 2 nominations more
    User Comments:"Let me out! I'll make you rich & strong!" more

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cast (Cast overview, first billed only)

Elizabeth Taylor ... Jimmie Jean Jackson

Richard Burton ... Hammersmith

Peter Ustinov ... Doctor

Beau Bridges ... Billy Breedlove
    Leon Ames ... Gen. Sam Pembroke

Leon Askin ... Dr. Krodt
    Anthony Holland ... Oldham

George Raft ... Guido Scartucci
    John Schuck ... Henry Joe
    Marjorie Eaton ... Princess
    Lisa Jak ... Kiddo
    Linda Gaye Scott ... Miss Quim
    Mel Berger ... Fat Man
    Brook Williams ... Pete Rutter
    Carl Donn ... Cleopatra
    J.C. Crean and my dad were best friends until my dad died, John Creans daughter Emily ended up marrying Rich Vogler who was driving for my dad Anyway it's 5 am and I am tired and probably rambled on about this more than you wanted to hear. I will try to dig out the posed shot with Cosby and my brothers and the midgets

Attached Files:

21. AF/X

AF/X

wanted to add the one i just bought. i found it on the hamb. have never been into sprint cars or midgets. but when i saw this thing it just felt right to go get it. i don't know anything about it other than the guy i got it from thought it was a Don Edmunds frame 63ish??? i have no idea, but since i bought i have become really interested in sprints and midgets.

i would really like to find some history on the car if anyone has any info that would be great.

i was cleaning it off the other night and found a stamping on one of the side mounts that say's REICHENBACH KRUGER.

i tried a search on google for REICHENBACH KRUGER and found some stuff but not much?

any help would really neat. not sure what to do with it now that i have it? any suggestions ie... restore it to original?

what a great thread!!!!! thanks, Rob

Attached Files:

22. AF/X

AF/X

some more pictures i have of it.
    any help with some info would be appreciated!

thanks, Rob

Attached Files:

23. When I stop having convulsions and drooling, ....................you lucky ------------------------------------------------------------

24. Racer5c,

THAT was a cool story.

25. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

26. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

[​IMG]

A Young Sprint Winner, Stevie Smith

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks to be a good start, hard to say if it's a Edmunds. Obviously it's a 4 bar, but has a spring axle and the brake pedal looks to have been moved, not sure whats up with that. Looks to have jacobs ladder mounts on the left side, so it may have run pavement a some point and looks to have had a bolt on hoop or cage so it was probably run in the late 60s-early 70s time frame. Not much help, I know, but over the years old race cars usually get modified and changed so much it's hard to identify anything for sure. Good luck.

28. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Roy, great story all the way through. Two great character actors in that first one, too with Yaphet Kotto and Henry Silva (the quintessential oriental bad man).

29. PK

PK
    from Ohio

AF/X, keep sending the restoration pictures; I'd really like to keep up with the process. If the guys posting here don't have the information you're looking for I doubt it's available. It's only original once so be careful.
    PK