Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

2. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

3. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

4. German ME262 found along Autobahn by Allied forces, early '45:

[​IMG]

5. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

6. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

7. Doing maintenance on a Bell P39 Airacobra, Aluetian Islands, 1943:

[​IMG]

8. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

So then, Grahame, I take it the real Singer disappeared, and Rootes used their facilities to make whatever cars they pleased. :eek:

9. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Phil Hill, Ferrari, the "Ring
    [​IMG]

Mazooma, Thanks for including this. This guy was my hero... for about 50 years. The shot you have here is I believe from qualifying at the 'Ring 1961. He put it on the pole with a new F1 track record. A record that he was quite proud of since he did it with half the displacement (1500 cc) as the previous record.

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

what? where?

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wilson Pickett and some guy named Jimi
    [​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  13. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

14. Kool66

Kool66
    from Dearborn

FOSDIC-Fearless?

[​IMG]

15. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

I always loved the '61 Starliner.

16. jughead2

jughead2
    from tenn.

used to drag race one with the 375-390 cu. in. engine. when one pulled high gear at 6k i felt awesome

17. Austin7nut

Austin7nut
    from Sussex UK.

please don't reply 'smartass' but I think it is a Seafire, the naval version of the Spitfire with the 'clipped' wings (without the distinctive pointy bits :)

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I stand corrected, I had my Hurricanes and Supermarines crossed up. Supermarines had 5 blades not the Hurricanes. There were Hurricanes with 3 blades.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  19. Austin7nut

Austin7nut
    from Sussex UK.

SMARTASS - Wrong !!!! Clipped wings were used to increase the roll rate of Spitires. So we are back to a Spitfire (Sorry Johnny Gee :). Looking again at the picture, there is a tail skid and it is painted in a single colour might be to represent an early photo reconnaisance one but I add that this is an un-educated pre-breakfast guess

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are BOTH early Spitfires, although the the silver one has clipped wings that were done for more speed so that pilots could chase down V1 flying bombs. They would fly up alongside the bomb and tuck a wing under the wing of the bomb, then roll away from the bomb tipping it on its wing end. The internal computer was not good enough to recover the bomb and it would tumble out of the sky.
    Just shooting it down was no good as it couldn't be done from out side of the blast radius!

Another thing about Spitfires is that not EVERY Mark had the semi-elliptical wing that Sir Reginald Mitchell was so famous for. Some had the full wing, some had the clipped wings and some even had wings close in shape to the Mustang! After about the MkIX very few had three bladed prop's, some had as many as 8 blades.

And yes even the good old Harry Hawkers Hurricaine had 4 blades on some marks!

The silver one with the 'clipped' wings looks like it is set up to represent a later war Mark of aircraft.
    Only two things I know more about than Spitfires, CAC Boomerang fighters and DAP Mk XXI Beaufighters, (Bothe Aussy made, Boomerand was our only designed and built fighter of WWII) I spent many years helping to restor all three of these great warbirds! (And damn do I miss working on them and being around them!!)

Beaufighter.......
    (This is the one I did LOTS of work on:D)
    [​IMG]

The tail you can see in the bottom corner is an Aussy designed and built Wirraway trainer.

Boomerang......
    [​IMG]
    Doc.

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its not a Seafire, has the wrong oil tank, radiators (Under wing) and is bereft of the arresting gear that recessed into the underside of the aft fuselage. There are a number of other little inaccuracy's as well but they stand out.
    It does however have a PR canopy without the heavy armour, but once again no provision for cameras (It was bulky and obvious).
    My honest guess is it is a display only aircraft made from piles of different Spitfire marks!

We had a P40 sitting on P51 wings at a museum I worked at. You know how hard it is to get hold of a good set of P40 wings? CRAZY!!

Doc.

22. Denis that Enola Gay link is great !!!!

23. Looks like a C-119 Cargo plane in the foreground? I think they were quite popular aircraft during the Korean conflict.

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is indeed a C119, they saw service clear up into the 80s, not to mention they are the 'star' aircraft from both 'Flight of the Phoenix' movies!! They were the third aircraft type to be given a 'guns' package for area support. They followed on from the AC-47, AC-130 and then the AC-119 (G&Kmodels). Most people thought that the 119 came before the 130 but it was the other way around!!
    The G & K models both had ancillary jet engines on wing pods to help with climbing in tight spots.
    There are still civilly operated aircraft working in the US, a number being fire bombers and one even starting an 'air show tour', flying displays at shows!

These are probably my favorite transport aircraft and the AC119 K&G 'Shadow' and 'Stinger' are........er.........were awesome aircraft. We even have a HAMB link with the gunships! Our very own slepe67 is a loader on an AC130 Hercules!!

I have been in combat and had the US Gunships save our arses in Iraq. My GOD are they impressive to see go to work!!

Cheers,

Doc.

PS, I just noticed there is one in 'Smokey and the Bandit 2', near the start when the 3 B25s drop the shit, for a second you see a C119 in side profile while they drop the ....er....shit.
    And if you were wondering, the aircraft they drop the red shit on them in revenge are Grumman Avengers!

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THE greatest night fighter of WWII, the P61 Black widow.

[​IMG]

This one, the 'Lady in the Dark' shot down the last two Japanese aircraft of WWII. Both victories where accomplished without a single shot being fired, on consecutive nights the 'Lady' while on CAP (Combat Air Patrol) forced a Japanese fighter into the sea. The first being on the night of 14Th Aug 1945 and the second 'Shot down' the same way on the night of the 15-16Th Aug 1945. This makes that particular kill interesting as it occured almost 24 hours AFTER the official end of WWII!

26. This is a pic the Air Force Museum C119J:

[​IMG]

I haven't been there in 15 or more years, when many of their larger cargo planes were displayed outside. I think that have since been moved inside; I hope to go there again soon.​

Here's another pic of a C119, in Korea (pic from US Army History):​

[​IMG]

I was USAF in the early 70s and no doubt saw these cargo planes. Although I didn't work on aircraft I was usually located in hangars or buildings closeby the flightlines or transient aircraft ramps. Wish I'd have paid more attention to the planes back then but it wasn't a priority.​

Daughter was stationed at Hill AFB Utah in the 90s and I think their museum also has one of these boxcars displayed.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.