Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is Charles Cushman, an amateur photographer who traveled extensively throughout the United States during the late 1930s up through the early 1960s. He had an artistic eye for scenes and points of interest along, with photographing the everyday aspects of life during those times. When seen as a whole, his work documented life
    in America that no longer exists.

Here is a link to his photo collection:
    http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/browse/index.jsp

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-5-26_3-58-5.png
    Hey Gary,
    Nice photo of the Ohno, Lew and Gonzalez's modified roadster. It was one of our favorites in So Cal. We were able to see it run in 1959 at Lions Dragstrip against our local favorite A/Altered, the Ratican, Jackson, Stearns long wheelbase version of their famous Altered Fiat coupe.

My short movie was the second version of the O,L,G roadster. The photo that was posted was also the earlier version of this rootbeer painted roadster. (bigger slicks and mags)

upload_2018-5-26_3-58-35.png I drew an "arty" version of the same roadster as I saw it run at Lions for the Friday Art Thread.

Jnaki

Here is the full Friday Art Thread post:
    [​IMG]
    Hello,

There were several things that were on our list of drag race items to finish. We were still in the building and racing our 40 Willys 671 SBC coupe and enjoying the heck out of doing that. But, late at night, talking about future drag racing/building stuff always popped up in our teenage conversations. (My wife has always laughs and tells the stories about… "hot rods, drag racing, surfing stories” whenever my brother and I got together later on in life.) Ha!
    [​IMG] Scharing photo
    We would stay up and tell what we would do for our next build or what class we want to invade… For him, it was an Altered coupe, like the Rasner/Reath or Ratican, Jackson, Stearns Fiat Coupes. For me, it was a Street Roadster powered by a Hemi similar to the Junior Thompson/Jim Cassidy, black A/SR, but it would be a pickup roadster, not a turtle back. We needed the extra room as we were growing teenagers leaving our Levis and t-shirts behind at a record pace. Plus, I wanted to be able to drive it cruising around our favorite Bixby Knolls hot spots.
    [​IMG] 1960 Lions Dragstrip
    Then one day my brother said he wanted to build a modified roadster for that class. He liked the one we always saw at Lions Dragstrip. It was like driving a dragster, except for a roadster body surrounding the driver. Obviously it was not for driving down the street or cruising the local drive-in parking lots.
    [​IMG]
    The Ohno, Lew, Gonzalez A/MR 671 Oldsmobile powered, roadster was a stand out in the drag racing circles. We saw it at Lions and I just happened to have a short film of it racing. They were racing one of our A/Altered local favorites, the long wheelbase version of the Ratican, Jackson, Stearns A/Altered Fiat.

Ohno, Lew, Gonzalez

Jnaki

Luckily, our drag racing films satisfied our building needs after our incident at Lions. Plus, the surfing mantra was too strong to resist…

3. We had one of these 1964 Dodge Custom 880 convertibles. It was a very nice car and quite rare.

kbgreen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

More vintage automotive photos from bangshift :)

1911.jpg

auto-meter.jpg

big-rapid.jpg

Says Buffalo Bill but I don't know which person? buffalo-bill.jpg

buick.jpg

5. loudbang

loudbang

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. loudbang

loudbang

What is it with all thee "Cool guys" and their 55 & 56 chevies LOL

63.JPG

64.JPG

65.JPG

66.JPG

67.JPG

LOU WELLS, kbgreen, jchav62 and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.