Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empire

empire

I agree, it fooled me but it's gone now.

2. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------
    --------------
    Ah, yes...good ol' "Camp Climax
    For Girls
    "!!:)eek::eek::D) Just my bad
    luck ... I missed my calling
    and I was born a bit too late,
    too! Otherwise, I'd have loved
    to have been a "counsellor" there!!
    ( Oh yeah - EVIL EVIL GRIN!!:eek::D)

Mart3406
    ====================

3. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Oh my - I'm in heat

4. Apenaut

Apenaut

[​IMG]
    An original picture of the house my wife and I bought earlier this year. It was originally off Melrose in West Hollywood circa '30-'55. It was bought in an auction and moved all the way to Boyle Heights on the east side!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  5. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Those finger nail claws scare the crap outa me...

6. b-bob

b-bob

Is that Susan Dey from Partridge Family?

7. scrubba

scrubba

What a totally KWELL looking house ! scrubba

8. lewislynn

lewislynn

I worked in a few different gas stations and I've had plenty of different batteries before the "maintenance free" batteries came out. I've never used anything but tap water in them, even at the gas stations.

It used to be you had to put a charge on a new battery before it could be used.

9. lewislynn

lewislynn

The sign looks photoshopped with "dorkhumor", girls on horseback and all.

10. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

You will notice that I said SUPPOSED TO, we always used tap water but would tell the customers if they asked that it was distilled water.

B:DB

11. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Looks like a big boulder in the middle of the road to stop people from running the toll booth.

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Those were really cool Mart.Some of them (Grand Bend) were taken about 30 minutes away from my house.

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

14. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

In those days they had to put acid in and then charge them.

15. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

16. swi66

swi66

17. swi66

swi66

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being a WWII aircraft nerd the Bristol Blenheim is quite high on my list of 'cool' aircraft.
    It was indeed developed from a civilian aircraft, it was an attempt to capture the European title of 'Fastest civilian aircraft'. The first A/C was flown in 1935 and it succeeded in capturing the title back from Germany for the United Kingdom.
    The RAF saw the potential in the aircraft as it was faster than any current serving A/C on their inventory in 1935! Very unusually the Mk1 was ordered by a number of air-forces (Including the RAAF) while still in the design phase and before the first A/C was built and flown.
    Unfortunately for the Blenheim, performance development of single engine fighters caught and exceeded the Blenheim's ability's before it first entered service in 1937. This made the Blenheim obsolete as a day bomber on entering service, at the time there was no replacement for the light twin engine bomber so it remained in the role early in the war.
    The interesting nose glazing seen on the MkI was done to help maintain higher speeds by reducing the fuselage cross-section, this resulted in a very small cockpit. There was so little room for both the pilot and bombardier that some flight controls were actually behind the pilot and the control yoke obscured the instrument panel that in turn obscured line of sight on landing! From the MkII on they reverted to a conventional nose design (Shown below).
    [​IMG]
    Early in the war, while still being used as a day bomber they suffered such heavy losses that it prompted the RAF to investigate alternative roles for the type. Coupled with a four .303 machine gun pack (Standard caliber for RAF fighters) many were converted to the night-fighter role that suited the A/C capability's more than the day bomber role.
    As a bomber the majority of A/C were deployed to the Middle East and Eastern theater's.
    When more capable aircraft began to enter service such as the Beaufighter and Mosquito the Blenheim was removed from front line service and were basically retired or placed in a training role by 1943.
    This is a very brief rundown on the life and times of the Bristol Blenheim, I am quite sure there is a great deal of info that I didn't include but the memory isn't what it used to be. Feel free to correct or add to this if the mood takes you!
    Cheers,

Doc.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang! That turned out much larger than I expected!
    Being so O/T I will delete it if asked.

Doc.

20. fremont rugrat

fremont rugrat

What a bitchen photo. Horse Power of every size.

21. helper monkey

helper monkey
    from Oklahoma

Everyone's right!

Tap water generally has minerals in it. Distilled water does not. The minerals build up on the the plates in the battery, OVER TIME, and reduce the life of the battery. It will function just fine with tap water.

All wet cell batteries have acid in them. Back in the day, they shipped them dry and let the installer put the acid in. Then they started shipping them wet and you just had to maintain them. Now they are sealed so you can't add water, tap or distilled.

We still have to service the batteries on our electric forklift and because the battery pack is very expensive, I do insist that my guys use distilled water.

HM

22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Saw this pic at a guys house when I was looking at some parts for sale.

DSCN4817.JPG

23. biscaynes

biscaynes

[​IMG]
    1948 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery damaged and still on the hook

cool rear box and fenders on the wrecker

24. Vintage New Westminster,BC. and one from Port Hammond.

Attached Files:

25. Various locations.

Attached Files:

26. The first shot is of a picnic with some of my wife's family in 1938.....I wouldn't mind having any of the cars.

The second is from 1964 with my fiancé and my new Valiant sleeper.

Man, I was skinny.......All the bodies are shot now!!!!

Attached Files:

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting shot. Dollars to donuts this is a miniatures set used for animations back in the day, for something like the Buck Rogers serials. Cue action for the smoking model space ship on a string landing by the space lord's castle! Gary

[​IMG]

28. These are from Revelstoke BC and the Roger's pass area. This is the area that 40Studedude travelled through recently, that he shared with us on his road trip thread.

Attached Files:

29. ....

Attached Files:

30. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

next to last appears to be a 40'is Packard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.