Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1963nova

1963nova
    BANNED
    from ohio

wow some great old pics here

2. Jimv

Jimv

i rented bays in this place & ran a repair shop out of it in the 70s.Its in Yonkers on McLean ave
    jimV

3. I think Big Boy was/is a franchise name that is managed regionally by different organizations. Elias Bros, Shoney's, Bob's (and others) were Big Boys at one time or another. Then I think some of them gave up the BigBoy franchise but stayed open under their own names. Somebody else may know more about this?

4. [​IMG]
    In addition to the Bob's Big Boy name, the "Big Boy" concept, menu, and mascot were originally franchised to a wide number of regional franchise holders, listed below (with approximate original territory in parentheses). Of these, only Frisch's still maintains franchise rights to the "Big Boy" name, and many of the other former franchise owners (Shoney's, for example) have expanded into areas that were once the territory of another franchise holder, and the current Big Boy Restaurants International has been expanding its Bob's Big Boy name into territories formerly held by franchisees.<SUP class="noprint Template-Fact" title="This claim needs references to reliable sources from December 2009" style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">[citation needed]</SUP>
    Unlike most modern franchises, the various restaurants differed somewhat from one another in terms of pricing and menu offerings.
    • Abdow's (Massachusetts, Connecticut)
    • Azar's (Northern Indiana, Colorado)
    • Becker's (Rochester, NY area before TJ's)
    • Big Boy of Florida
    • Bob's (CA, NV, WA, OR, VA MD, DE, PA, N.E. OH, MI, NY, NJ, IN and PA turnpikes and airports operated in several states by the Marriott)
    • Eat'n Park (metro Pittsburgh) dropped Big Boy in 1975.
    • Elby's (West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio) owned the Big Boy rights to northern West Virginia, originally through Shoney's and quickly expanded Big Boy into bordering Ohio counties, subfranchised through Frisch's, and later expanded through Pennsylvania. A trademark battle with Frisch's over Ohio operations caused Elby's to drop Big Boy affiliation, to be followed by Shoney's et al.
    • Elias Brothers (Michigan, Northeastern Ohio, Ontario, Canada)
    • Frisch's (OH, KY, IN, FL until the early 1990s) the Cincinnati restaurant chain and first franchisee, began serving Big Boy hamburgers in 1946; Frisch's now operates 88 Big Boys & franchises 32 Big Boys to others.
    • JB's (AZ, UT, ID, MT, SD, WY, WA, NM, NE, KS)
    • JB's (Canada) (Ontario and Alberta in the 1970s)
    • Kebo's (Seattle & Tacoma, Washington area before JB's and Bob's)
    • Ken's (MD - suburban Washington DC, became Bob's late 1960s)
    • Kip's (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas)
    • Lendy's (Western Virginia)
    • Leo's {Spokane, Washington, Montana}
    • Mady's (Windsor, Ontario, Canada)
    • Manners (Northeastern Ohio)
    • Marc's (Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois) were owned by the Marcus Corporation. Some were sold, others were converted to Marc's Cafe & Coffee Mill and later Annie's American Cafe. Most now operate as Perkins.
    • McDowell's (North Dakota)
    • Shoney's (TN, AL, MS, LA, GA, FL, VA, SC, NC, WV, OH, MO, MD)ennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia, Ohio, Missouri, Maryland)no longer displays the Big Boy Statue, because it dropped its relationship with Big Boy in 1984 in order to expand to other states where others owned the trademark.
    • Ted's (Rhode Island)
    • TJ's (New York)
    • Tops (Illinois)
    • Tote's {St.Louis, Mo. area before Shoney's}
    • Vip's (New Mexico)
    • Yoda's(Western Virginia)

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I never realized all that had a Big Boy franchise,I am familair with Fricsh's that are around here and Elias bros in Michigan but I never known the Shoneys and the others that were part of it too.

6. Did somebody say Bob's....
    [​IMG]
    Bob at a house in Maui... search "Maui Merc"
    a few threads about the car, the place, Bob etc.

[​IMG]

I googled their names no luck on June Lyden
    but found Queen Barbara Ruick (girl on right)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Quite the little actress/singer that died of a cerebral hemorrhage at 42.
    here's here IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0749539/bio

Looks like Roy Desbrow's truck next to them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

vavavavoom! yes sir.

8. 296ardun

296ardun

"Bob" was Bob Wien (sp?)...started out in Calif...he had his own cattle ranch near Harper's Dry Lake because he wanted only the finest beef for the Big Boy burgers.

9. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Yeah, no prob..just remember she's probably a great-granmother by now. Makes one have a greater respect for older people.

10. CurtEgerer

CurtEgerer
    from Michigan

11. junk fiend

junk fiend

Marina Dunes 1965

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dontiac

Dontiac

13. Dontiac

Dontiac

14. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Hey LowKat !......You're a regular private eye......Finding info on the girl, and recognizing the truck......I enjoyed that........

15. Jimv

Jimv

The Lady in the carousel poster is Shirley Jones( partridge family mother).She did alot of broadway musicals
    JimV

16. mark62

mark62

Taken around 1960

17. re: (Barbara Ruick) Quite the little actress/singer that died of a cerebral hemorrhage at 42. here's here IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0749539/bio

The characters in this pic (below) are Shirley Jones (who also was Shirley Partridge in the sitcom Partridge Family) and Gordon McRea (played with Doris Day in On Moonlight Bay & others). Jones is still with us, McRea passed away in '86 at age 64:

[​IMG]

18. 1948 Grayson, KY
    [​IMG]

19. 1955 Independence, MO

[​IMG]

20. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

"Word Furniture", Furniture and Undertaking. Hmm, not let's see, do I want to buy a dining room table or a casket first? Priceless!
    That ranks right up with a sign I saw a few years back advertising "Typewriter Repair and Divorces".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.