Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

• tank.JPG
      tank.JPG
      File size:
      313.4 KB
      Views:
  2. DC64

DC64
    from oklahoma

What a cool picture! :)

3. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Dagmar

[​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  4. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Attached Files:

5. WCD

WCD

This posting won me lunch. A workmate said it was Suzie Wong who served in the weekly opening scene. I said "No. Bet ya."

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  6. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I have a love/hate relationship with this thread. I keep trying to stay up with it, bc it's easy to soak up these pictures like a sponge. But it's update so fast....!

7. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Me too! It's the crack cocaine of threads.
    I also have wondered if there is any other forum out there that has a thread with over 11 million views?

8. nagramos

nagramos

Me too! Dog's fault!

[​IMG]

9. nagramos

nagramos

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

HEARD ya, buddy. I just spent 2.5 weeks in the country -- WAY country, no biz or industry -- and I only saw one toad. When I was a kid, I played with toads all the time. When they're rare to find in the wild, I'd say that's evidence SOMETHING is up (RE, possibly, DDT's long-term staying power or, possibly, yet other chemicals). Just my 2-cents. I'm no chemist. Just reporting what I've seen, early and NOW.

11. Ain't that a '60 Merc?:confused:

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks to Dog for starting with a simple premise (surely, he couldn't imagine where it could go!:eek:) AND to Ryan Cochran :cool: for sponsoring it all, embracing not ONLY hotrod and auto history but the whole socio-economic backdrop, loosely speaking, ca. 1900 to 1964.

Simply put, I believe this thread has been both eye-opening, culturally fulfilling and "broadening," in terms of perception and appreciation, not only of North Amercian culture but of the entire free-world peoples (and they know their own minds, I might add! LOL).

THANKS, Dog, Ryan, Blackmaria & Sweepspear!!!:)

13. Couldn't be more dead center!.......?:confused:

14. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

We did not get self service until the late 70s.

16. Tucker Fan 48

Tucker Fan 48
    from Maui

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Tucker Fan 48 [​IMG]
    Life Magazine cover from October 1965
    [​IMG]

Turns out this lady is Elizabeth Louise Malamalamaokalani White Logue. This is how she looked on September 20 1968.
    [​IMG]

She still looks that way today in reruns of Hawaii 5-0. Elizabeth was the beautiful Hawaiian woman running down the beach, pulling a clip from her hair and then finally, with raven tresses flowing, a headshot of a dramatic head rocking turn facing the camera.

[​IMG]

Jack Lord made the same turn. Jack is cool but Elizabeth looked hot. Elizabeth Louise Malamalamaokalani Logue is still alive and well at 71 years old. There were unfounded reports of her death some years ago. She was Miss Air Force ROTC 1959, before becoming one of the original poster girls for the 1960s Hawaiian Visitor’s Bureau, then appearing in the opening credits of Hawaii Five-0 (By the way, the hula dancer in those opening credits was Helen Kuoha-Torco, who went on to become professor of business technology at Windward Community College on Oahu, and still has her SAG card.), Elizabeth “Five-0&#8243; Logue stepped out of the limelight in the 70s and maintains a low profile.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Seems like I should get dessert out of that deal :)

17. We used to catch Alligator Lizards that were a common lizard in empty fields in Southern California (and possibly other places). Hardly ever seen them until recently I have seen quite a few sunning themselves in my backyard. Makes me happy to see them again and share them with my grandson. Catching them is one of the great memories of my childhood, can't count how many times I would pick one up, only to have him turn around and bite my hand (or spit his tail).
    Maybe they're making a comeback? Hope so, the kids these days are missing out...

18. swdunn

swdunn
    from Chico, CA

Horned Toads were quite common when I was growing up in Manhattan Beach in the 40's. Then they were gone...

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I can vaguely remember the industry ad phrase, "BETTER LIVING THROUGH CHEMISTRY." Anybody remember the actual wording and/or the year(s) that ad ran?

HAD to be before Agent Orange! :p (Seriously, though, I am glad the ag chem companies have gone for compounds that do their job and then wear off or break down when the job is done. DDT had me pretty dead set against the industry, early on.)

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Times 2. Haven't heard from Grahame (MrFire) since about this time last year. Sure miss him and his posts.:(

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I apologize now, as I did not look it up. But is the near car a Frazer? It just doesn't strike me as a Nash. :eek:

22. I think it's a '54 or '55 Nash Statesman(?), not exactly sure. BTW, I used to drive by that place many times when I worked at Alpena Ford, quite a few years ago. Not too far from Lake Huron.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.